I HAVE A NEW BABY BUNNY!!!

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:32 am
His name's Barley!!!
I just need to know, he's about 10 weeks old, is it OK for him to eat grass and fruit etc? He's a dwarf lop, so still very small...
I was quite young when my last bunny was a baby so I don't know all the 'rules' really...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,743 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Can of Ham

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 06:03 pm
Re: I HAVE A NEW BABY BUNNY!!!
honey_rose_cr wrote:
His name's Barley!!!
I just need to know, he's about 10 weeks old, is it OK for him to eat grass and fruit etc? He's a dwarf lop, so still very small...
I was quite young when my last bunny was a baby so I don't know all the 'rules' really...

There are fortified foods available at most pet stores like petsmart.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:52 pm
hi honey rose, you should go to the house rabbit society website... i think it is rabbit.org... there is a lot of info about what to feed. i think most agree that it is a bit hard for babies to digest a lot of fresh veggies. i have two rabbits, and i do know that not all veggies are ok... lettuce is one thing you should probably avoid, or give in very moderate quantities. hope that helps...do check that website!
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:50 am
Thx
0 Replies

Can of Ham

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:02 pm
dora17 wrote:
hi honey rose, you should go to the house rabbit society website... i think it is rabbit.org... there is a lot of info about what to feed. i think most agree that it is a bit hard for babies to digest a lot of fresh veggies. i have two rabbits, and i do know that not all veggies are ok... lettuce is one thing you should probably avoid, or give in very moderate quantities. hope that helps...do check that website!

It's good to feed 10% of their diet as fresh veggies as the stools can get messy and they get more fortified nutrition from the pellets.

Wood sticks are a winner to keep the teeth shaved down. There are carrot/vegatable flavored wood sticks too to tempt them.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:19 pm
Congrats on your new bunny. I love bunnies and have had a few of my own. Your bunny's diet should mainly be pellets and some hay. Read up on bunnies and you'll read about the fruits and veggies you can give them a little of as treats every so often. To much fruit and veggies will give them diarea and they can die from dehidration.
Have funny with bunny :-D
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 03:32 am
Thanks guys....I have a prob now...he's months old 6 or 7 I think, and he has Myxi...or it COULD be snuffles...similar symptoms...but still, the vet says it's myxi, but the vet also said he would survive the night and he's survived three or four now....with anti-biotics...but he's still really poorly...we have to bring him home becoz he's at the vets and they are putting pressure on us to put him down

...but he seemed quite a bit better last night when we went to see him so.....we have to bring him home, but I don't know how long he has to be on anti-biotics and pain killers for and how we have to administer them....
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:52 pm
hmm...a bit odd, why is he on painkillers? Snuffles doesn't involve any pain.

I've had two rabbits with snuffles and one survived and the other didn't. The one that made it had to be nursed along for a day or two, but very quickly was energetic and himself again, although he had to be on the antibiotics for a week. (we gave him the pills mixed into babyfood in a syringe.) Are you keeping him hydrated? If he's not drinking, you should give him Pedialyte, by syringe if you need to.

The rabbit that didn't make it died because the disease progressed so quickly that he was gone by the time I got home to take him to his vet appointment, and he'd only gotten sick the day before. Altogether in my experience snuffles moves very quickly, it's over one way or the other in a matter of two or three days. So really this doesn't sound much like snuffles.

But I do think you should keep trying, don't put him down yet. Like I said, make sure he's getting plenty of water, that's often one of the biggest problems.
0 Replies

blue1

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 07:41 am
Re: I HAVE A NEW BABY BUNNY!!!
honey_rose_cr wrote:
His name's Barley!!!

Congrats
0 Replies