Is the world becoming overpopulated?

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:15 am
Is the world becoming overpopulated? Is there any proof one way or the other? I don't know, I'm about to start researching this myself, but I'm curious what other people have heard or learned.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,647 • Replies: 10
No top replies

material girl

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:29 am
Do yu mean in relation to land space to live in?
places like India or China are highly populated.I think Chinese people are limited ot only having 1 child per couple.
Sometimes I think places are overpopulated but then again, when I went to Spain I flew over it and saw mile after mile of unused land.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:34 am
I think that you will find this interesting:

Link to population article

A very interesting point was made. As population increased exponentially, the technology of food production became more sophisticated. As long as there is enough food, the earth can support many more people.

There are pockets of intense crowding, but there is still plenty of land left on earth.
0 Replies

Externet

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:47 am
Hi.
The world is way overpopulated since the fifties.

And the worse areas are where their national sport seems to be making more babies with no means to sustain them decently.

The figure ONE MILLION is so large that eludes imagination; everyone hears that figure all the time, but very few truly comprehend its magnitude. If you kill ONE MILLION people EVERY DAY, will take 30 years to stop population growth.

Miguel
0 Replies

Waldo2

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:36 pm
The article that Phoenix linked was very interesting. Based upon the graph in that article, about 80% of the world's population will reside in Asia and Africa by the year 2050.

It also makes this statement about lesser developed regions.
Quote:
Between 2000 and 2030, nearly 100 percent of this annual growth will occur in the less developed countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, whose population growth rates are much higher than those in more developed countries.

And, as for the developed nations:
Quote:
The more developed countries in Europe and North America, as well as Japan, Australia, and New Zealand, are growing by less than 1 percent annually. Population growth rates are negative in many European countries, including Russia (-0.6%), Estonia (-0.5%), Hungary (-0.4%), and Ukraine (-0.4%). If the growth rates in these countries continue to fall below zero, population size would slowly decline.

It's entirely possible that technology (like in medicine, sanitation and food production) could enable the world to sustain a population many times the size that it is currently. Then again, technology (like robotics and computers) might make it possible for a small population (4 Billion, maybe) to exist very comfortably.

In practical terms, it seems that population is largely a function of education and culture. So, we should expect growth rates to remain explosive in the undeveloped countries until conditions become more uniform with the developed regions of the world.

I think that, in time, the third-world will join the rest of the world. And, when it does, their populations will level and then decrease. The process will probably be painful and sad in human terms. It could also be catastrophic for the environment.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 03:07 pm
In the early seventies a commission was organized to determine the ideal population of the US. The commission determined the ideal population was about 200 million. By the time the reports was published the US population was 230 million.

And so it goes.

Rap
0 Replies

neil

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:36 am
There are lots of opinions, some quite well thought out. Some aspects of quality of life, will decrease (for most people) unless we reduce the current population, even with continuing technology advances. Optimistic projections allow 60 billion humans, with only a moderate increase in the average misery index.
If modern civilization fails, world wide, half = 3 billion humans could die the first year. We have reached a population level where advanced technology is essential to prevent a wide variety of catastrophes. Neil
0 Replies

A Lex Ass

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:45 pm
I believe the WHO recently released a report on the future population of the world. IIRC the population was to ballon to 8 billion and then begin to subside.

It did point out that the assumptions are based on the growth rate of developing countries to decrease as their average education, increase of women's rights, and health care increases. Population growth can be correlated to all 3 factors.

The scary thing was that at current rates the world pop. would swell to 35 billion! Which was also pointed out would not be sustainable.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:59 pm
raprap wrote:
In the early seventies a commission was organized to determine the ideal population of the US. The commission determined the ideal population was about 200 million. By the time the reports was published the US population was 230 million.

And so it goes.

Rap

Pournelle fan? Razz
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:40 pm
There's way too many whitetail deer in Michigan. Whack 'em and stack 'em.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:36 pm
Quote:
Pournelle fan?

This is bookmarked Chaos Manor but "and so it goes" is Vonnegut.

Rap
0 Replies