Polly Toynbee sticks it to the pope

Don1

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 10:07 am
When Polly Toynbee journalist for the Guardian feels strongly about something she doesn't pull any punches.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1454850,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 914 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 10:14 am
Go, Polly! I would like to stand up and cheer.

Ms. Toynbee, you have found yourself a brand new fan!

The blatant hypocrisy of the Catholic Church is a stain on the fabric of civilization. And they want to make the Pope a saint, yet! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 10:35 am
I'm not a Catholic, and from the religious rights perspective in this country (US) I'm probably not a christian. So my comments should be taken in that light.

As Bill Clinton said, the Pope's record is mixed. Basically the Pontificate is a political office and it must be judged in that light.

John-Paul was multifaceted.He was a great empathizer, as was Clinton, and communicator, as was Reagen. His stands on personal dignity and freedom were admirable. But he was also a doctrinaire ideologue, centralizer and in some ways a head in the sand conservative. In my opinion he had little use for the back and forth of political discourse. There was a "my way or the highway" attitude about him.

There will now be a spin contest to see which of those facets he will be remembered by.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 10:36 am
From the same article:

Quote:
In 1971 I interviewed Mother Teresa and asked how she justified letting starving babies be born to die on Calcutta streets for lack of contraception. She said sublimely that every baby entering the world was another soul created in praise of God, even if it lived only a few hours. She was never keen on cures: suffering was a gift of God that enabled those who cared for the afflicted to demonstrate their love. She was beatified by John Paul II for their shared religious mania. Those who met them talk of an aura of love, power, listening and intensity. But goodness is in doing good; good intent is no excuse for murderous error.

Many years ago, I remember hearing an interview with Mother Theresa. Up until then, I blieved that she was a good person, doing very good work in terrible conditions.

Someone asked her why she did not counsel the people that she worked with about contraception. The reporter noted that many of these people could never emerge out of poverty if they did not have a means of limiting their children.

Her answer floored me. She said something like, "I am here to spread the word of God. I am not a social worker".

At that precise moment, I lost all respect for her as a person.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 10:49 am
Thank you for the article, Don1. It comes closest to my own view of any I've read so far. I'm fractionally less angry, but not by much.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 01:36 pm
I just realised I posted this in two different forums, it's the senility setting in sorry peeps.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 03:13 pm
Wow! A really great article. I was impressed. Good follow-up comments by folks, too.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:44 pm
Don1, don't worry about posting this article in two places--it needs to be read by as many as possible.

Bernard Law, who covered up the horrible abuse to children by priests in Boston, is one of the council who will determine the next pope. He was rewarded by Jophn Paul instead of exposed for the weasel he is and was for 'transferring' errant priests instead of turning them in to the police. This, to me, is the sign of lax moral standards all around, especially at the top.

Perhaps John Paul was only acting according to the set of standards learned from the church, but that seems inexcusable for so brilliant a man as he obviously was. The same holds true for Mother Teresa; she was an intelligent woman who should have realized the great harm she was doing. Did either of them never question the ramifications of their actions? Is the church still a medieval institution which cares nothing for the individual human being, but only for the glory of the church? The answer seems obviously "yes."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:17 am
Diane- When I heard that Law conducted a mass for the Pope, after the Pope's death, at the Vatican, I went ballistic. I think that if you can get beyond the pomp and circumstance, and really look at the way the church has conducted itself, you will find that it is a corrupt institution, interested only n its own self aggrandizement, and the people be damned!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:36 am
I cringed at that too, Phoenix.

being an ex catholic but a very involved one when I was, and not at all now.......

no, not every cardinal is a c/law. Or let us hope not.

The catholic church is not replete with creeps, though it can seem so. Even I the long-gone doesn't make that jump, wary though I may be.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:48 am
Quote:
no, not every cardinal is a c/law. Or let us hope not.

Osso- I think that the Catholic Church has had more of its share of institutionalized corruption. Law was in a position of "management", and set the tone for his underlings.

If Law had canned the pedophile priests at the getgo, and reported them to the police, I would bet that the perverts would be on notice that the Church would not stand for their criminal behavior. By shifting these criminals from one parish to another, and not informing the new parish, Law, IMO, was tacitly approving the behavior of those people.

Personally, I could never understand why he was not charged with being a part of a conspiracy to sexually assault minors!
0 Replies