Democrats Introduce Bill To Shield Unpaid Federal Workers From Lenders And Landlords

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 09:14 am
I saw this article and I have mixed feelings. I understand the hardship of workers who don't have large financial cushions and are not being paid. I was looking at my checkbook and thinking about how I would respond if I suddenly didn't get paid and while I have good reserves, it would not be easy. I would have to cash in stocks and bonds (in a questionable market) or take out short term loans and eat the interest. On the other hand, landlords have debts they have to pay too. The mortgages on those rental properties have to be paid along with insurance, taxes, maintenance, etc. This bill seems to say that landlords must front their tenants interest free loans and some small landlords might not be in position to do that and still meet their own financial obligations. My brother owns several small rental homes and if one is vacant, he works really hard to get it leased again because the cash flow is effectively part of his salary. I see the problem, but I don't think this is the solution.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 555 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 12:14 pm
@engineer,
I don't think it's a solution, either. Lenders and landlords also have expenses, and they're no more theoretical than those of federal employees.

That was probably mentioned in the article. I'm usually to lazy to read them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 01:50 pm
If I were one of those unpaid employees I would be on the lookout for a good permanent not-governmental job. I doubt that all of them would be successful at doing this, but I would certainly give it a try.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 02:15 pm
This seems like a silly political stunt to me. If they want to protect federal workers, just change the law so that these shutdowns are impossible.

The fact that either political side can force a shutdown seems ridiculous to me.
0 Replies