Are national parks being trashed to protest government shutdown?

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 01:48 pm
Hostage-taking is one way of getting your demands met. So if you want to get the federal government back open, why not take national parks hostage by trashing them?

National parks and monuments are probably the most beloved aspect of the federal government. Many people dislike many aspects of the government, but who doesn't love national parks and monuments?

The people trashing them, apparently. But once the trash gets picked up and all the overflowing feces composts away, the parks will regain their natural beauty. So, knowing that, what would stop government-shutdown opponents from trashing them to garner public support for ending the shutdown?

Some people probably don't mind the tactic of hostage-taking. They might see it as a legitimate method for stimulating fiscal transfers that are overdue anyway. Others dislike it as a tactic, whether it involves people or land or whatever. So the question is how to respond to this national park abuse during shutdowns, if you're against them being used as hostages.

Should they be put under an independent managerial authority immune from government shutdowns? What about placing cameras along roads into the parks and billing people who drive into the parks during a shutdown? Of course you would have to wait until the government re-opens to review the camera footage and process the billing, but the threat would deter people from trashing the parks.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 02:22 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
What would stop government-shutdown opponents from trashing them to garner public support for ending the shutdown?

This is funny. Exactly who do you mean by "government-shutdown opponents"?

Are there any government shutdown supporters? Don't we all want to get the federal government back open?

livinglava

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 07:48 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
What would stop government-shutdown opponents from trashing them to garner public support for ending the shutdown?

This is funny. Exactly who do you mean by "government-shutdown opponents"?

Are there any government shutdown supporters? Don't we all want to get the federal government back open?

I guess not enough to fund the wall.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 07:54 pm
@livinglava,
I thought the Mexicans were going to fund the wall. I am sure that shutting the US government down is going to convince them to come up with the money.
roger

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 07:59 pm
@livinglava,
Aha! Fund the wall and the government is open, again. Sounds like extortion.
roger

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 08:00 pm
@maxdancona,
Sarcasm noted.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 08:11 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Aha! Fund the wall and the government is open, again. Sounds like extortion.

I think it's just a demand to shift the blame for not re-opening the government to the Democrats. Otherwise they would be the ones demanding spending and blaming the GOP for obstructing the spending bill.

I'm actually surprised the Democrats don't want the wall. They like fiscal stimulus projects and they like keeping nations separate, so why do they dislike the wall thing?

Imo, it's only because it creates a monument to national borders that will instigate protest for decades once built. It will be like the Berlin Wall, hated, and eventually demolished. Democrats don't want nationalism to be that overt and thus subject to resistance.
0 Replies

bunnyhabit

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 10:39 pm
Under federal law, national parks are required to protect the resources they've been entrusted with. one could make the argument that the federal government's decision to "soft close" some parks violates the law. Without rangers patrolling, Native American artifacts, wildlife and even wild ginseng is at risk from vandalism. since toilet are closed parks reek of urine. god bless any female chastity being alone in a park.
Trump has proven usa is dictatorship not democracy.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 09:21 am
I was at the Boundary Waters National Park in Minnesota over New Years day and as of then, everything in the park looked clean and taken care of. Although it was inconvenient that the park was closed, there weren't any gates or anything to keep anyone out.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Are national parks being trashed to protest government shutdown?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:30:30