Some Folks, Like Chris Cuomo, Don't Get This

Sturgis

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 06:03 pm
@snood,
Welcome to the "United" States, snood. Then again, you have been aware because it is something you have lived. I'm still waiting for it to change and arrive at us all being equal.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 06:48 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Could President Obama get away with the same degree of bad behaviors (like speaking lewdly about women, encouraging followers to punch people, calling countries shitholes, calling the White House a dump, lying daily and constantly - to name a few things) as Donald Trump has?

You are asking an impossible question. To ask after the fact implies that if in indeed, Obama did those things solely in relation as being a black man, he wouldn't have been elected. But he was. Twice. So, it's purely speculative.

I have no idea how such an idiot got elected, but that wasn't your premise of the OP. Your initial issue, "Is it ok to snub a Presidential handshake if you're Black" and the answer is...

It's NOT ok for ANY previous President to refuse a sitting President's handshake.
snood

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 07:03 pm
Denial - it ain't just a river in Egypt.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 07:08 pm
@snood,
It's apples & oranges.

Obama is an ex-President. It transcends a color barrier. His duty is to the Office of the Presidency, not to a man. The difference of race occurs when you DON'T hold Clinton to that same standard.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 07:09 pm
@neptuneblue,
Especially at a *televised* funeral of another president...

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 07:16 pm
It is perfectly acceptable to refuse to shake the hand of a sitting or a former president. It is perfectly acceptable to ignore a sitting or a former president. It is an elective office, and if the last election proved anything, it's that any asshole can get elected to that office.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 07:24 pm
@Setanta,
And there is the issue. No, it is NOT acceptable to refuse a handshake from or to an American President.

The Office of the Presidency REQUIRES respect, even if you don't like the person. The rank alone justifies the respect.

roger

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 07:35 pm
@neptuneblue,
I understand your position. In this case, I disagree.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 07:37 pm
@neptuneblue,
Bullshit. In the army, we were told that you salute the rank, not the person. That does not apply to civilians. The office of president does not require anything of anyone other than the incumbent. We've got a goddamned incompetent, puerile, ego-centric narcissist for that office now, and he deserves no respect, and no one is "required" to show him any. You may like eating **** sandwiches, but the rest of us are not required to share your "taste."
snood

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 07:58 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Bullshit. In the army, we were told that you salute the rank, not the person. That does not apply to civilians. The office of president does not require anything of anyone other than the incumbent. We've got a goddamned incompetent, puerile, ego-centric narcissist for that office now, and he deserves no respect, and no one is "required" to show him any. You may like eating **** sandwiches, but the rest of us are not required to share your "taste."

Word, but do you disagree that Obama and wife would have been dragged in the news for at least a week if they had dissed 45?
Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 11:56 pm
@snood,
Probably, although were can't know. If it were the case, it would be the alleged new organs of the right. I don't know that a case of racism can be made here.
Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 11:59 pm
I might add that Cuomo is a jerk, and that trick with the crew member offering his hand to shake was a cheap shot.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 03:38 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Probably, although were can't know. If it were the case, it would be the alleged new organs of the right. I don't know that a case of racism can be made here.

I respect your opinion, but I humbly submit that the backlash that I speculate would arise in response to an Obama diss of Drumpf at that funeral would certainly be supercharged with racism. While we're speculating, how do you think it is that the Clinton's apparent ignoring of the arrival of Drumpf and spouse received barely any media backlash at all?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 04:57 am
@neptuneblue,
The issue I can see is that despite your attacks on the Trump regime you're very socially conservative. You need to own up to the little fascist inside of you that thinks military etiquette can be transferred to civilian life. People do not have to behave in accordance with your socially conservative values. America's supposed to be the land of the free, that's why you have a civilian, not a military government.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 05:23 am
I am deeply saddened by the responses on this thread. It seems standing up for righteousness is actually quite hard to do when you're in the minority. There's been plenty of "Bash Obama" threads and "Bash Trump" threads but I really am amazed with the same people who claim moral perpetude are the very same ones who trash the Office of the Presidency by thinking it's ok to dis a handshake.

The reverence I feel for the Oval Office outweighs the person actually sitting in the chair behind that desk. To me, THAT'S what makes this Country the greatest - to be able to hold a FREE election, and by the choice of its people, grant one person with the power to lead us all.

We've had better, more experienced leaders that, through their flaws, ended up with what history now calls successful. Time will tell if our books favor this presidency and gloss over the cringe worthy parts like "Grab 'em by the pussy" and "Covfefe."

To those who rigorously defend the 2nd Amendment to stockpile as many weapons as they can to those who believe it's ok to take a knee while our national Anthem is playing, I found this:

Quote:
All citizens should respect the office of the president: Letter
Poughkeepsie Journal Published 5:02 p.m. ET Jan. 25, 2017

Angry Americans are staging mass demonstrations. Some Congressmen refused to attend the new president’s inauguration. Citizens refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy of their elected leader. What has been done to cause this? What terrible crime has been committed? As far as I can tell, nothing. What actions have sparked this outrage? Nothing. These protests were occurring before President Donald Trump had a chance to do anything. What change do they hope for? Nothing. They have no plans to alter anything, and are just expressing their anger. These people are trivializing their sacred rights of free speech and peaceable assembly by protesting nothing other than the result of a democratic election, albeit one they didn’t like.

Of course, this is a sharp contrast to what these angry leftists have been saying for the past several years — that the president must be respected no matter what, and that compromise is important in a free society. They also seem to be ignoring their pre-election lectures on the importance of reuniting the nation and accepting the results as legitimate. The casual hypocrisy these bitter Democrats are showing is rather disgusting, and they should be ashamed of themselves. I didn’t pay much attention in elementary school, but I did learn that rules are rules, even when you lose. And you always shake hands with your opponent at the end of the game. It’s about time for our disappointed countrymen to remember these old lessons.

Eric Lee

izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 06:08 am
@neptuneblue,
You're not standing up for righteousness, you're standing up for conformity and obedience.

America is not the only country to have free elections, and in most of those countries the candidate who wins the popular vote becomes leader. When you include the rampant gerrymandering in American elections they seem more rigged than fair.

Fascists/nationalists like to bang on about how their country is the greatest. America may be the most powerful country, but your healthcare is appalling, your homicide rate is unconscionable and the amount of carcinogenic substances permitted in your food is shocking.

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 06:10 am
@izzythepush,
Be that as it may,

I still extend a hand...
Lash

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 06:13 am
I reviewed the film of Trump’s entrance to the front row, and no one did anything out of the ordinary. Obama was stuck sitting beside them, so avoiding shaking hands on his part would have been a noticeable event of insult at a state funeral. Others on the row had no occasion to greet, as it was not a party or a meeting, but a somber, reverential gathering. I’m sure the balance of the front row was relieved to have an excuse.

Bush was stuck shaking Trump’s hand because he chose to shake all hands. Again, Bush singling Trump out for avoidance would have seemed petty and out of place.

Nothing to see here. If one thing people appreciate about Obama is his sense of decorum, this should have been no surprise.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 07:01 am
@neptuneblue,
That's your choice, and as long as you remember that's all it is you've got no problem, but when you start saying others should behave as you then that's the beginning of authoritarianism.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 08:10 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I advise the rest of the world to let liberal and black racists stew in their own bile and to not pay any attention to their false accusations of racism.

So either:
a) There is no such thing as a conservative racist: the very idea is even preposterous!
b) Conservative racists are making valid points, and the world should pay attention to them and heed their call. Don't let them stew in their own bile!
c) Conservative racists, contrary to their vile liberal and black opposites, really deserve our help and effort in order to reach the higher, better plane of moral existence where all conservatives CLEARLY belong.

Which is it then?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:33:00