The bwst way to write down my English name

Minhyuk

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 08:39 am
Hi, I’d like to ask for native English speakers’ advice on writing down my English name in my business card.

My name is “Minhyuk Lim”, which is a Korean name, but in the most business circumstances I intoduce myself as “Min” since foreigners are uncomfortable with pronouncing Minhyuk(or Min-hyuk, two syllables).

I’d like to let foreigners read my English name in a business card as “Min”, and, at the same time, I want to show my second syllable of a given personal name (“Hyuk”).

My considerations were as below - which way would be the best? What are differences that native speakers may feel among these names?

Minhyuk (Min) Lim
Min-hyuk (Min) Lim
Min-Hyuk (Min) Lim
Min (Minhyuk) Lim
Min H. Lim
Min H Lim
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 735 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 08:51 am
@Minhyuk,
I would go with the first - list your name using the correct spelling with the nickname in parentheses.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 08:59 am
@Minhyuk,
I prefer; Min (Minhyuk) Lim. If I saw this, I would probably call you "Min" if our relationship was casual business. If we were working together closely I would likely ask you what you prefer. But, Min is a fairly straightforward name that is easy for us to pronounce.

The first three options are a bit confusing... I would question how you wanted to be called. I would probably ask you. These options would be more likely to lead to someone asking about your name. I don't know if this is a good thing.

The last two options seem like are you changing your name (at least professionally). There may be benefits to this strategy.

I prefer the fourth option. It says to me "you can call me Min, but my real name is Minhyuk."
0 Replies