Getting rid of birdnests

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 12:43 pm
This is the stupidest thing ever.

I have a mailbox that's bolted to the side of the house. Over the past week, when getting mail, I've noticed there's the beginnings of a birdnest inside. I keep taking the little branches out and tossing them, then the next day they're there again.

Is there something I can put in there so the birds won't keep trying to build a nest? I don't have a BB gun, so...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,148 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 12:45 pm
Can you block the entrance?

If not, try mothballs.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 03:31 pm
The top of the mailbox won't close all the way, it sits an inch or so open.

So mothballs...thanks.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 06:50 pm
A coiled rubber snake might help, if your Postal Person doesn't mind.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 07:05 am
Why not just leave it? Baby birds are cute to watch. Hang a plastic bag off of the box for the mail person to leave your mail in. Relax it's only nature.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 10:58 am
Green Witch: no.

The mailbox is right outside my door. No birds are going to be living on my doorstep. They can bring their nature somewhere else.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 11:07 am
I suggest a REAL snake in the mailbox. And be sure to set up a camera to video it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 11:51 am
Won't it be considered as federal offense
to bring harm to a poor mail carrier?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 11:57 am
New mailbox? That closes properly?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 01:05 pm
sozobe wrote:
New mailbox? That closes properly?

Hmmm.

Guess that what a SMART person would do.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 01:13 pm
The twigs in your mailbox arent't the result of nesting birds, Slappy. I've been putting them there. Every day I drop a few more twigs inside the box and then stifle my laughter as I walk away.

I watch from the bushes as you check your mail. One day I started laughing at your befuddlement and you heard me. I froze. Your eyes followed the direction of the noise and landed right on me. Our eyes actually met, but because of my camouflaged clothing and face paint, you were unable to discern the presence of a human being. Soon, you crumpled the sticks up, threw them onto your sidewalk, and headed back in the house, the confused look still etched on your face.

Funny stuff. I'll stop now, Slapster. Just thought I'd mess with your mind a little bit.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 01:35 pm
Gus is doing a Blair Witch on you, Slappy.

Be careful.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 01:58 pm
No Gus, I saw you. I just didn't want to ruin your fun.

Next time you're in the area, pick me up some Gatorade, sucka.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:52 pm
Is the top flap flat? Or is it sloped? If it's flat, you could weight it. But, I think just pulling the sticks out will eventually drive the birds away - sparrows?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:08 pm
The top slopes down, but it doesn't close all the way. I don't know what kind of birds they are, I haven't seen them yet. Do you think if I spray some Raid in there, it will ketep them out? I know it's not made for birds, but maybe the smell will deter them?

Maybe I'll try moth balls. But it's a pain holding the moths down and spreading their legs to get them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:18 pm
Your mail will smell really badly if you use moth balls. I'd get a new mailbox. I know, you rent, but it might be worth the pain and suffering you're experiencing.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:37 pm
I could always hit the landlord for a new mailbox. I'm too lazy to go buy one and replace it. I'm hoping the birds just stop trying to build a nest. If they could read, I'd put up a sign that says "stop trying to build your home in my mailbox, or I'll punch you in the uterus."

My landlord's got their hands full right now with the flooded basement, hot water heater that doesn't work, and the no electricity in the garage, which means the door doesn't open. Mailbox is low on the list as of now.
0 Replies

Poodlz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 03:52 pm
I just LOVE bird's nests! A long time ago, I lived in a house where the mailbox was a kinda slot, a wooden box that was real thin, up aginst the wall by the front door. A little wren momma built her nest in there and it was the cutest thing! I was sad when it was all over.
0 Replies