dividing up shipping & handling charges between 3 people

lilies

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 05:50 pm
the total purchase = 451.50
the first person purchased 389.00 worth
the second person purchased 43.50
the third person purchased 19.00
The total for shipping & handling was 8.35 for any amount spent.

Is there a set mathematical way of dividing this out fairly for this purchase and all future purchases to the same company that always charges $8.35 for shippping and handling no matter how much or how little you buy? There are usually 3 or 4 of us buying the items together and I never know what to charge the ladies, especially when they spend less than me ( i spent the $389.00 amount this time ). If there's no way to figure this out by percentage per person, then what advice does anyone have. I know that this time I spent the most , so I should pay the most in shipping and handling , but sometimes all of our totals are closer to each other, although not equal enough to just divide it equally. Thanks everyone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 409 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 06:01 pm
Add them all together then divide the individual amounts by the total. Multiply the resultant fraction (percent) against the $8.35 to figure the correct price.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 06:09 pm
In this case the nearest I can figure you pay $7.20, w/1 pays 80¢ & w/2 pays 35¢ for the shipping.

The equitable shipping would be to have everyone pay their proportion of the shippment based upon their portion of the amount of the total order.

Rap
0 Replies

lilies

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 06:24 pm
thanks ....I did what you said and it came out right...and it fair to all...great!!
0 Replies