My Faith in Humanity is Lost--NOW RESTORED!

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:53 am
Someone stole my wallet last night. Everything is gone. My drivers liscense, credit cards, insurance cards...gone. It fell out of my pocket while I was doing laundry and someone, who must have been 15 feet from me, scooped it up and took off. It wasn't more than 15 feet from the washer to the dryer. Nice.

Not to mention, my toilet took a **** (no pun) last night and now I have to deal with THAT today too. <<sigh>> What a day. Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,262 • Replies: 21
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:57 am
holy cow!!!

you checked all your laundry baskets right?
( sigh.. of course you did )
im sorry.
:-(
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:59 am
shewolfnm wrote:
holy cow!!!

you checked all your laundry baskets right?
( sigh.. of course you did )
im sorry.
:-(

I checked everything and everywhere you can imagine.

Crying or Very sad

People suck.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:21 am
Bella
Bella, did you check any waste baskets in the laundromat or any trash containers near the outside? Sometimes people just take the money and toss the wallet and it's other contents.

Have you notifed all the appropriate card issuers including the credit reporting companies as well as a police report to protect yourself from identity theft?

BBB
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:11 am
Oh Bella, that's really awful.

I'm sorry. What a pain in the a$$ to have to deal with all that stuff.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:13 am
Bella Dea wrote:
People suck.

Yes. As a great man once said,

"We're a virus with shoes."
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:30 am
That can be a very devastating experience. My wife lost her wallet last year and the biggest headache was contacting all of the agencies etc. that needed to be contacted.

The very first thing we did was visit the bank to report the credit card missing and to have the debit card cancelled and replaced. They said that credit cards have been maxed within 10 minutes of being lost or stolen.

Social Insurance, Police Report, Medical cards. Insurance, Drivers licence, vehichle ownership. Birth certificate, Equifax etc. must all be notified immediately. I suggest you do a google search on "lost wallet" to determine all of the things that must be done in your jurisdiction.

In my wife's case, a honest person had found the wallet and mailed it to us. We did not receive it for a week. As thankful as we were, it would have been nice if the person had phoned us the same day as our phone number etc. was in the wallet.

I can only hope that you too have a similar outcome.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:44 am
I am so sorry to hear that Bella, and I hope no financial
loss will occur to you because of this.

Not to long ago, on one evening shopping spree, I forgot my entire handbag at a store, and only noticed at home that I'm missing my most priced possessions <sigh>

It was almost closing time, and I called the store immediately
without too much hope though. I was transfered to the
right department and the sales clerk told me that her collegue took the purse home with her, as she lives close by my house and I should call her to pick it up, which I did.

Of course, I was eternaly greatful and bought a huge bouquet of flowers for the sales clerk.

So, not all people suck Bella Wink
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:57 am
Thanks guys...I know that there are honest people out there but why couldn't ONE of them be there? <<sigh>>

Thanks Intrepid. I wasn't sure if I needed to contact the credit bureaus. I canceled all my stuff within 15 minutes of losing it and there was no activity on any of them, no one was trying to use them. So I suspect that they took the money and dumped the wallet. However, we were unable to find it. Looked in the trashcans and what not. No wallet. <<sigh>> What a pain. Thank goodness my social security card was not in there. I suspect though, that whoever took it isn't smart enough (or ambitious enough) to try and use my cards and stuff. I live in an area where $20 is much more valuable. Yes, that's all I had in there. All this crap for $20.

Calamity, I am glad you got your purse back. Smile

My suggestion to everyone? Make a copy of all your credit cards, insurance cards, whatever you put in your wallet and keep the copies in a safe at home or a saftey deposit box. Because for the last two nights, all I can think about (instead of sleeping) is what in hell I had in there.....

Sad
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:58 am
Oh and I filed a police report and they flat out told me that there really was no point as there was nothing they could do. They'd just file it. <<sigh>> Great city police.....I guess I have to be attacked.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:03 am
Oh, that really sucks. I'm sorry.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:35 am
I am surprised about the reaction of the Police Department. We all know that there is very little that can be done etc. The point of the Police Report is to protect you. There would be an official record of your loss and you would be protected should someone actually use your credit cards or use your information for some kind of fraud etc.

Identity theft is very prevalent today. Someone could use your credit cards along with your personal information from your drivers licence to obtain credit etc. That is one of the reasons to notify the Credit Bureau. When my wife lost her wallet, the Credit Bureau said it would be in our best interest to have it on file with them that we are to be notified if there is a request for credit in our name.

I don't know about the U.S., but there is no reason to carry a Social Insurance card in Canada since nobody can request information from you about your number etc. The best place for the card is in a safety deposit box or safely at home.

If the cash was taken and the wallet discarded, it is still possible that someone will find it and return the contents to you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:40 am
Intrepid wrote:
I am surprised about the reaction of the Police Department. We all know that there is very little that can be done etc. The point of the Police Report is to protect you. There would be an official record of your loss and you would be protected should someone actually use your credit cards or use your information for some kind of fraud etc.

Here's the even better thing....I said I wanted to make the report so that if someone tries to do something bad in my name with my id, I'd be protected. And he said (I swear to you I am not lying) "If that happens, report or no report, you're still screwed." Shocked Mad

Intrepid wrote:

Identity theft is very prevalent today. Someone could use your credit cards along with your personal information from your drivers licence to obtain credit etc. That is one of the reasons to notify the Credit Bureau. When my wife lost her wallet, the Credit Bureau said it would be in our best interest to have it on file with them that we are to be notified if there is a request for credit in our name.

I am writing a letter right now.

Intrepid wrote:

I don't know about the U.S., but there is no reason to carry a Social Insurance card in Canada since nobody can request information from you about your number etc. The best place for the card is in a safety deposit box or safely at home.

It is going to get locked up along with the credit cards I don't use all that often in our safe.

Intrepid wrote:

If the cash was taken and the wallet discarded, it is still possible that someone will find it and return the contents to you.

One can only hope. But I am afraid that it's just gone. Sad
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:00 am
Bella Dea
What makes you think there would be a different response from the police if you were attacked?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:26 am
Who knows. Sad though. I guess they figured other things were more important. Like coffee and donuts.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 03:30 pm
HOLY CRAP! Someone mailed my wallet back to me! They even sent it Delivery Confirmation so that it was sure to reach me. AND everything, including the money, was there. Unreal. Someone out there is an angel. I wish I hadn't had to cancel all my stuff but it sure was a wake up call.

Very Happy Very Happy

YEE HA!!!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 03:50 pm
Good for you! That's beautiful.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:37 pm
just getting the wallet back is awesome... but the $ too?
amazing!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:10 pm
That's so great!!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:25 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
HOLY CRAP! Someone mailed my wallet back to me! They even sent it Delivery Confirmation so that it was sure to reach me. AND everything, including the money, was there. Unreal. Someone out there is an angel. I wish I hadn't had to cancel all my stuff but it sure was a wake up call.

Very Happy Very Happy

YEE HA!!!

See, I told ya. Exactly what happened to my wife. It wasn't even our city that she lost it in and it cost the person $5.00 to mail it.

Funny how our first reaction is that of....oh, the dirty rat :-) I guess that is because that is what we come to expect in the society in which we live. It restores our faith in humanity when something like this happens.

I am so happy for you. Yes, it was a pain having to make all of the calls and cancel this and cancel that, but the ending makes up for all of that....don't ya think?
:wink:
0 Replies