Chess Championship 2018

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2018 05:12 pm
mark
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2018 07:13 am
Tie break games and award ceremony are scheduled for Wednesday at 3:00 London time.
lmur

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2018 07:46 am
@engineer,
Thanks.
engineer

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 09:31 am
@lmur,
This game is a lot faster. Follow here. http://analysis.sesse.net/
lmur

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 11:42 am
@engineer,
I'm getting a headache!
engineer

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 11:54 am
@lmur,
Looks like it will be over soon. Carlsen has a 2-0 lead, only needs a draw in games three or four to win it and is looking good right now.
lmur

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 11:58 am
@engineer,
Yeah, only just realised he was 2-0 up. Should be over soon. My wife will have to wait a little longer before I leave work!!
lmur

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 12:23 pm
@lmur,
now just moments away from 3-0...
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 12:28 pm
@engineer,
Many thanks for providing the link, engineer. Really enjoyed that.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2020 08:20 am
@lmur,
Because of the Netflix series "Queen's Gambit" and the popularity of Magus Carlsen (current world champ), online playing is exploding. I just read an interesting article on the elite team of chess narcs policing the game and catching cheaters. Might be behind a pay wall: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-real-queens-gambit-catching-chess-cheaters-11607439491

Quote:
In the year when everyone went online to play chess, and even went online to watch a TV show about chess, players developed a nasty new habit. They started cheating at chess online.

As newbies and grandmasters alike flocked to platforms like Chess.com and Lichess in 2020, administrators noticed a surge in suspicious activity unlike anything they had ever seen. So they turned to a group of nerds with expertise so obscure that there are only a handful of them on the planet: the chess narcs.

They are international masters, legal experts, and computer scientists—sometimes all three. Their job is to root out patterns that reveal the player across your virtual board might be reaching for outside assistance. They are the reason chess has been able to make the once unthinkable leap from an over-the-board game with waning popularity to wildly popular esport in a manner of months.
0 Replies