Salmon farms threaten wild Salmon

Badboy

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 07:01 am
Salmon farms are teeming with lice,which they are passing onto salmon in the wild,asserts a scientific study.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,003 • Replies: 10
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 07:33 am
wild salmon are loaded with worms. There are many problems with each. I actually prefer the taste of farm raise salmon. Its less gamey tasting
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:28 am
Re: Salmon farms threaten wild Salmon
Badboy wrote:
Salmon farms are teeming with lice,which they are passing onto salmon in the wild,asserts a scientific study.

Old news besides, the lice can and shold be avoided.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:44 am
Well, worms contain a gene that converts into omega-3 fatty
acids that are actually healthy for us. Salmon also has high
levels of omega-3 fatty acids.

farmerman, can you really taste the difference between
wild vs. farm raised salmon? I eat a lot of Salmon but somehow
I can't taste where the Samon is coming from.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:49 am
Farm raised salmon has a load of environmental and health problems assciated with it. If you want to avoid farm raised just look to see if the label is marked "color added". Farm raised salmon is not naturally pink because they do not eat shrimp like wild salmon. The worst farms are in places like South America where the industry is destroying the biodiversity of the rivers.

Farm raised salmon also has internal parasites, as with wild salmon, just cook it properly. Farm raised salmon also has more PCB's because of their diet. Sometimes we get to pick our poisons, sometimes we don't.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:54 am
Very well said Green Witch.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:33 am
And with wild salmon you run the risk of mercury....
0 Replies

jddev

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:45 pm
And with farm raised salmon, you run the risk of even more mercury!

Here's a good article I found on this:
http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/wildvsfarmfish.htm

Quote:

If you want to avoid farm raised just look to see if the label is marked "color added".

Is this true of only salmon? I'd like to know how to know when buying tuna as well.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:49 pm
Quote:
And with farm raised salmon, you run the risk of even more mercury!

Most of that "data" comes from the fishing industry lobby. Believe who you will, but a pelagic fish, out in thes ea for most of its life and then coming i9nto an industrial river mouth and up streams that still have traces of CN and Hg from all the past gold mining isnt any safer. PCBs are planet wide, we still suffer about a 1.5ppm rain of PCBs and TCDD per square yard per year (International studies of Chlorobenzenes in the environment)

The salmon farms (at least those in MAine) go through water testing and relocation pressure from their own corporations just for the bad press that some of the fishing inteerests publish.
As far as the color, yeh its an additive, just like jello or cake mixes . The actual color of wild salmon is a pukey pinkish grey.
In a pinch Ill eat wild salmon but I dont care for its flavor as much.

Lets face it, the oceans are a cesspool of continental pollution. The 3rd world nations are the worst and we buy wild salmon from them? sorry, not me.
0 Replies

jddev

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:57 pm
That's interesting.

I've never truly researched this topic in-depth, but rather have gone on the bits and pieces of information I've been told and found in quick reference. Is there any advice you could give to find the most healthy fish?

In looking for better nutrition I understand that fish is a very good addition to one's diet. Any information you could give to help me keep it a positive pursuit would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jason
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:10 pm
jddev wrote:

Is this true of only salmon? I'd like to know how to know when buying tuna as well.

Tuna is not farm raised. Tuna has more mercury than any other fish, you really should limit your consumption of it. I would not give it to children, although the goobermint will tell you one serving a week is OK . If you do chose to eat tuna you are better off with the white meat, as it has less contamination due to less fat, which is where the toxins are stored.

By the way, if you want to eat farm raised shrimp make sure it comes from Texas. Texas shrimp farmers have recently started to farm it in a environmentally sound manner - unlike Asia where they raise the shrimp in horribly polluted water with the aid of DDT.
0 Replies