help in understanding Wordsworth poem

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:46 am
What does Wordsworth's "I wandered lonely as a cloud" mean???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,013 • Replies: 3
No top replies

kendrajean32

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:05 pm
To me... this is what i got from the poem:

The man is walking along...and sees a wonderful image- that of beautiful daffodils. No matter where he goes and what he does...that sight and feeling is still with him. They were more beautiful than the stars, the waves or anything he saw.

I think this may repersent that feeling we all often get when we can't get a thought out of our heads... no matter what we do- it's there. Mabye a thought of a loved one.

Maybe he's remembering a lost love, the woman who he could never have- yet was more than the stars to him.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:12 pm
Those are good ideas, kendrajean. Here's a related thought: When our senses are open to new experience, we may find things in nature that amaze and please us. If the narrator had been absorbed in thought, he might have missed all those flowers. Now he has a memory forever. The English Romantics, of which Wordsworth was a key figure, believed in the spiritual power of nature.

So, maybe not about loss, but about something gained...
0 Replies

kendrajean32

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:00 pm
I like that.....great way to look at it. I think you are onto something. I like that it is something gained....more of a positive idea

Thank You....helps a lot
0 Replies