need help understanding Alexander Pope: Essay on Man

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:15 am
If anyone can help me-- please respond. I am having touble understanding what the "essa on man" is about - and how it relates to Voltair's Candide. If you have any ideas....please share. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,211 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 01:23 am
I do not know Voltaire's Candide - so I canot help in how they relate (there are some Candide fans around, though, so I hope they show up).

I have not read Essay on Man for a very long time - but I am happy to help as much as possible.

However, your question is so general that I would need you to narrow things down a bit!

Can you tell us more about what you are finding difficult to understand about the poem, for instance?
0 Replies

kendrajean32

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:40 am
I guess i just want to know what the main idea is.....What he thinks about human nature or what not. Any comments about the poem would be helpful. I'm having to read this for a class....and i don't understand much of what i'm reading. So anything helps.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:31 am
Kendrajean 32 - normally I do not sniff at people who come here to get their homework done - however, I notice that you have threads asking for people to help you with numerous poems.

I, for one, am happy to help - but I have neither time not inclination to do all the work for you.

Personally, I am happy to help - IF you do some work too.

For starters, I would need to see you telling us what you think each of these poems is about - what YOUR understanding is of them.

Other people may be more generous - but this is what I need to see before I am prepared to help you - insofar as I am able.

Sorry - I do not mean to be bossy or condescending - but I am also not prepared to do all the work.
0 Replies

kendrajean32

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 01:24 pm
As for the poems, I did not say my interpertation of them...because to be honnest- i am afraid i'm way off base. But if will help then I will do so.

So I will post my thoughts on each thread for the poems.
0 Replies

kendrajean32

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 01:44 pm
As for Alexander Pope's Essay: ( i do have trouble with the language...so i don't know if i'm understanding what's really being said)

I felt like Pope was saying the humans inferrior...."..so weak, so little, and so blind!" He goes on to say that man works hard, even doing wrong...but that the means justify the end (am i even kinda close?) "in human works, thou' labour'd on with pain, a thousand movements scarce on purpose gain"

I think he also is saying that man is controlled by something unknown to him....that we are just a small part in, maybe, God's plan....

I'm not sure about this: "then say not man's imperfect, Heav'n in fault; say rather, man's as perfect as he ought; his knowledge measur'd to his state and place..."...maybe that its human nature to have faults- but that it is no ones fault- it just happens. Doesn't reflect bad on heaven (God) but that it is simply human nature.

I also felt like he was saying that Heaven was open to all...."that each may fill the circle mark'd by heav'n" Because humans are made imperfect...their faults don't necessarly prevent them from going to heaven...which is a very pleasent idea....and that heaven isn't just a christian idea...that all people have their own "heaven"
0 Replies

kendrajean32

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 01:51 pm
And because I'm trying to compair this essay to that of Voltair's Candide.....I'm trying to focuse on the views of humans, human nature, and all of that good stuff....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:58 pm
I will do my best to add to comments after work tonight!

(I am in Australia, so it is work time here now)
0 Replies

kendrajean32

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:32 pm
Thank you....any comments will help
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:34 am
I do not think there is any "maybe" to Pope's belief that we are all a small part of god's plan.

Christianity, in Pope's place and time, was an established and almost indubitable reality - though Pope, in a way, with his respect for reason, betokens the doubts that would destroy its power.

Now - I find I have not enough tie to read the thing, so I have collected a few commentariers on the poem for you - which I hope will aid you:

"The Essay on Man

Pope’s grand plan was not to write an epic as Milton did but to put together a series of verse epistles in the Horatian sense that would offer a moral critique of human behavior. The Essay on Man, which consists of four epistles, is about Man in general, not individual men. (And it’s mostly about male Men; women get little shrift in Pope’s philosophy.)

The first and third paragraphs on p. 2542 on the "Design" of the Essay on Man are very important to understanding the work. Pope is dealing with Man in the abstract, as He has been studied by scientific observation (the Royal Society method). Pope chooses to use verse because it is more elegant and memorable than prose.

Pope divides the first book of the poem into numbered verse paragraphs, which is helpful. In his opening he deliberately creates an imitation of Milton in vindicating, rather than justifying, the ways of God to Man. ¶1 introduces the concept of the Great chain of being. Pope’s argument is that all things have their place, and that we see echoes of God’s way of thinking in each level, though the echoes fade the lower we go. ¶2 notes where man falls in this great chain, and says that though Man is imperfect, that’s no bad reflection on God, who has a greater plan for us all that we mere imperfect mortals cannot always discern. See especially 69-72 for a statement about Man’s limitations. In ¶3, Pope points out that it is human nature to have hope for a particular fate rather than defer to God’s dispassionate judgment. See especially 87-90, 95, and 99.

In ¶4, Pope argues that pride—a significant moral weakness—is what leads Man to question God’s will. He defies rebellion in one very memorable couplet, 129-30. He does allow in ¶5 that some chaos is natural within Divine Order—esp. 168-70. And he argues in ¶6 that if man was meant to fly, God would have given him wings—see the funny couplets 193-96. ¶s 8 and 9 reiterate the notion of God the Great Designer and the importance of knowing (and staying in) our place in the Great Chain of Being as an act of moral obedience. There is a strong emphasis on submission to Divine Will—not on trying to change our state. Thus ¶10 is very important, especially its last couplet, 293-94.

You can see in this argument for accepting the status quo the roots of 18th century complacency. Don’t like your state? Don’t like how you are treated? No matter—you can’t tell why God has put you there. Just submit and enjoy it. This moral certainty—which some would definitely call smugness—leads to the toleration of slavery, of the denial of voting and other human rights, to the acceptance of workhouses and child labor, to a deliberate blindness to the needs of the poor and infirm—because "Whatever is, is RIGHT." Personally, it’s why I always want to smack Pope. But not everyone feels that way."

http://faculty.winthrop.edu/kosterj/ENGL201/popenotes.htm

here is another critique/explication:

http://www.literatureclassics.com/ancientpaths/pope.html

Here is a general discussion of Pope's life and poetry:

http://www.litencyc.com/php/speople.php?rec=true&UID=5169

Cliff notes - lots of info here:

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/WileyCDA/LitNote/id-50,pageNum-34.html

Here is Pope himself on Essay on Man, by the way:

http://www.theotherpages.org/poems/pope-i.html
0 Replies

slellabela

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 02:10 pm
An Essay On Criticism....
While you are speaking of An Essay on Man....I have a question about an Essay on Criticism. I am having difficulty understanding the P starting with line 68.

"First follow Nature, and your judgement frame
By her just standard, which is still the same;
Unerring Nature, still divinely bright,
One clear, unchanged and universial light
Life, force, and beauty must to all impart,
At once the source, and end, and test of art.

Any ideas on what Pope was talking about here? Any help would be great. Thanks!
0 Replies