Does anyone know anything about Geothermal Heat Pumps?

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 11:35 pm
Does anybody know anything about Geothermal heat pumps? I am very confused with my system. I have been arguing with our local Hydro company because I feel that my system appears to be using double what it should be in kilowatt hours.
I know that my system runs for about 3 minutes every ten minutes. I know that its at 23amps on 220 volt.
So in one hour my system ran for about 20 minutes out of every hour, for a total of 480 minutes in one 24 hour period. So about 8 hours out of every day.
23x220=5060/1000=5.06kw
5.06x8=40.48kw/hours.
I keep getting told that it is my life style that is making my hydro rise. So I read my meter before I left for the weekend and the only thing left on in the house was the geothermal heat. I used double what I should have. Is my math right? Because I am tired of getting the pat answers like I am some stupid little girl. Can anyone help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 643 • Replies: 3
No top replies

raprap

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 03:03 am
Did you shut your refrigerator, freezer, and water heater off? Those appliances are automatic and will cycle along with your heat pump, whether your home or not.

Rap
0 Replies

neil

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 06:37 am
We are at the mercy of the contractor. Geo thermal can save you a bundle but usually it does not. The better systems transfer the heat to and from a large amount of water, such as a stream, pond, or two wells. Dirt and rock are poor thermal conductors so results are usually poor without water.
Even if the heat transfer is efficient, a low efficiency heat pump, or leaky ducts, or a lying electric meter means a big electric bill. Neil
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:30 am
Quote:
Does anybody know anything about Geothermal heat pumps?

They're refigerators turned inside out. Can't help you with the bills though.
0 Replies