Mitch McConnell wants to cut social security and Medicare

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 01:49 pm
The Young Turks posted an episode of TYT Investigates.
October 16 at 5:46 PM ·
Sen. Maj. Leader Mitch McConnell appeared on Bloomberg and said that America's historic debt level means both parties must "get serious" about cutting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. We paid into social security and Medicare when we worked through payroll deduction, and now McConnell wants to take these benefits from everybody to give bigger tax cuts to the rich. Why do people keep voting the very people who are out there to destroy our safety nets in retirement? Why? They can fix the increasing deficit very easily. Increase the taxes on the rich, adjust the year of retirement for benefits, and/or do both.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 03:51 pm
If they want to continue the "blue wave" in 2020, the Democrats will find a way to stop the safety net murderers.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 07:12 pm
Barack Obama cut half a Trillion dollars from Medicare.

I doubt that Mitch McConnell could top that.
LD Saunders

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 02:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's the oldest trick in the book being played out once again before our very eyes --- wealthy people tell poor white people that the reason for their problems is due to some poor non-white person. The white poor person then wants to see social safety nets reduced, despite hurting himself in the process, because he believes it will hurt non-whites even more. This is why for years the GOP saying they were the party of "small government" was simply dog-whistle politics. Small government was code for "we will cut off welfare for blacks, etc."
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 08:07 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Barack Obama cut half a Trillion dollars from Medicare.

I doubt that Mitch McConnell could top that.

Cite your sources (and Infowars, Breitbart, Fox News, or any other psychopathic conspiracy theory laden sites will not be accepted).
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 08:27 am
@tsarstepan,
I don't recall that Obama actually made cuts, but I do recall it was reported early in his administration he was open to cut Social Security.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 03:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
I found this.
BUSINESS
Reality Check: Obama Cuts Social Security and Medicare by Much More Than the GOP
Obama plans to cut between $200 billion and $380 billion more from Social Security and Medicare than Republicans in the next ten years
DEREK THOMPSON
APR 11, 2013

From Politifact. Seems like just yesterday that the big Republican talking point was that Obamacare cuts $500 billion from Medicare. Now, it's $700 billion.

That's the number -- $716 billion to be precise -- that's gotten tossed around this week.

See related rulings
We've posted two fact-checks to explore the back and forth between the campaigns.

In an interview on the CBS program 60 Minutes, Mitt Romney said Obama "robbed Medicare" of $716 billion to pay for "Obamacare." We found that exaggerated what Obama had done in the health care law.

While the health care law reduces the amount of future spending growth in Medicare, the law doesn't actually cut Medicare. Savings come from reducing money that goes to private insurers who provide Medicare Advantage programs, among other things. The money wasn’t "robbed." We rated the statement Mostly False.

Responding to the Romney attack, Obama campaign spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter said Ryan's budget relies on the same $700 billion in savings from Medicare that Mitt Romney and other Republicans have been attacking Democrats about.

Ryan has confirmed that, and we rated it True.
oralloy

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 06:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Cite your sources (and Infowars, Breitbart, Fox News, or any other psychopathic conspiracy theory laden sites will not be accepted).
Fox is just as reputable as any other news source. I've never heard of Breitbart having been busted for falsehoods either. Had either of them been what came up first in an internet search, I would have been comfortable citing them.

But as it happens, CBS came up first:
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/FTN_060511.pdf

"REPRESENTATIVE NANCY PELOSI: Well, we in our health care bill as you probably know saved half a trillion dollars in Medicare. We had a half a trillion dollars in savings there which we plowed back into improved benefits for seniors in terms of prescription drugs but even more important than that, we made it stable for about ten years into the-- added ten years of solvency into the future."

I'm not too familiar with Infowars. Aren't they a bunch of wacky liberals? Or do I have them confused with someone else?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 06:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
While the health care law reduces the amount of future spending growth in Medicare, the law doesn't actually cut Medicare. Savings come from reducing money that goes to private insurers who provide Medicare Advantage programs, among other things. The money wasn’t "robbed."
Reducing a program's funding eliminates benefits and increases premiums.

The people who ended up with reduced coverage certainly felt robbed.

cicerone imposter wrote:
We rated the statement Mostly False.
That's why you shouldn't listen to fact check sites that are fronts for leftist propaganda.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mitch McConnell wants to cut social security and Medicare
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:23:24