My cat has Cystitis anyone have any suggestions wot 2 do?

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:44 pm
Hello, we're taking my cat to the vets 2morrow morning but she's in a lot of discomfort. does anyone have any suggestions wot to do to help relieve the symptoms?

Thx...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,384 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:57 pm
Since you are taking the cat to the Vet in the morning. It would be best to leave the diagnosis and treatment to him/her.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:01 pm
Well we are nearly sure it's cystitis two vets have said...just wanted to bring her some relief tonight she's getting really frustrated...
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:02 pm
Thx, took her to vets said cystitis, and gave her 2 injections and some antibiotics...now if we could just get her to open her mouth and take em!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 03:34 pm
Cats with bladder troubles don't do well on commercial cat foods.

Try feeding her chopped meat--boiled meatballs.

The meatball diet saved us a great deal of money in vet bills.

As for the pills.....cats don't like pills, do they?
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 04:37 pm
Cystitis is certainly not uncommon in cats. Fortunately, you said "HER", because feline urinary syndrome is much more severe in toms. Antibiotics are, or course, indicated, but prevention is far preferable. I always had excellent results feeding Science Diet C/D, and recommended that the owner add a bit of salt to the food to encourage higher water intake. Diluting the urine always seems to help prevent recurrence. By the way, the best way to give pills to cats is to pull her ears straight back until the skin on the forehead is tight. If you do this properly, the cat can't close its mouth hard. Don't try it on a dog, though, or you may pull back a bloody stump!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:05 pm
Two of mine have had cystitis - and, for the early, very painful stage - I found that I was able, with no drama, (if it caused the cat stress I would think it a bad thing to do) to use an eye-dropper to give them extra water - just hold them and gently give them water. If you give it gently enough, mine just sort of sit there, in my lap, and look long-suffering, but accepting of this madness.

(I have had it myself, and man, that helps me - drinking a lot of water!)

The cats I am speaking of would both let me do anything at all with them (both Siamese). One of my current cats I would never try this with, because she would freak. I suspect that this would work only with a very few cats! It seemed to give them some real relief, though, while we waited for the antibiotics to kick in.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:58 am
Thx for the tips, Big's (my cat) back to normal now after her antbiotics...
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:40 am
...And now she's got it again...MORE pills!! Capsule's this time...Oh dear!!
0 Replies