edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 06:48 pm
@chai2,
Couldn't agree more.
0 Replies

Numb3rThr33

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 07:08 pm
@chai2,
"What is the purpose of our existence" is not an individually based question, it refers to humanity as a whole. The death, hunger and rape you mentioned is heartbreaking, to think that the value of a human life has declined so much, but free will, choice and responsibility is absent in what you stated. Those in power choose to deprive or not to aid the hungry, the rapist is not a mindless victim of circumstance, he chose his action. Choice have consequences and through excising free will, we inherit the responsibility.
chai2

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 08:14 pm
@Numb3rThr33,
Then, as I stated before, but in regards to humankind as a whole, the propose of our existence is the same as for any other living creature on this planet. To procreate in order to ensure the continuation of our kind. For various reasons, we have done much to good a job at this, and have become a virus on the planet.

It’s in each individual power and ability to follow this purpose, or not.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 04:15 pm
@chai2,
Yours is a childish response.

Suffering is part of the plan.

How would you as God assure there was no suffering?

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 06:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
See, and I view that comment has the childish one. For some unknown reason thinking there is a plan, that I would ever imagine being a mythical thing, or think there was s even some mythical thing that is controlling sufferering , joy or anything, or invented something known as free will.

Let me ask in return, how would you, as Santa Clasus, Mr Peanut, or the Pillsbury Dough Boy, assure everyone got gifts, and weren’t allergic to peanuts or gluten intolerant?

But you’re asking how I, if I were a myth, would do something. Can’t say, because myths aren’t real.
Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 07:56 pm
Well, that's an idiotic proposition--an entity which is supposedly omnipotent can't end suffering? Finn's magic sky daddy sounds more sadistic to me than believable.
Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 08:02 pm
Ooops . . . my bad . . . Jeebus loves us, everyone . . .

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/f5/1f/59f51fe675760cd408ad039ff33a1b90--raptors-so-sad.jpg

(Yeah, right--that lizard would be trying to eat his face off.)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 08:25 pm
@Setanta,
Yeah, and we’re supposed to be giving suggestions to this supernatural power on how to do that its job.

Maybe instead of it’s concentrating on making sure a particular football team wins (I guess some fans just prayed better) or making sure it doesn’t rain the day of some kids birthday party, it could take a few days to prioritize its tasks. I mean, maybe not ending all suffering immediately, but maybe starting with smiting all the child molesting religious authorities. Smite them good and proper.
Numb3rThr33

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 09:45 pm
@chai2,
There is a difference between needs and purpose. Procreation is a need, established by Abraham Maslow in 1943. You might be on to something in a spiritual sense.
Numb3rThr33

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 10:00 pm
@chai2,
This supernatural entity that you refer to is created by religion, to serve their purpose. As mentioned earlier, this is to cause confusion. That is why I am searching for a deeper truth and not what they are trying to spoon feed us.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 10:20 pm
In my opinion, all purpose invented by people varies according to the individual's makeup, or is borrowed from other people's interpretations. But there does not seem to be a fundamental purpose to living other than survival of species. Even that peters out to extinction, eventually.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 10:46 pm
@Numb3rThr33,
Numb3rThr33 wrote:

There is a difference between needs and purpose. Procreation is a need, established by Abraham Maslow in 1943. You might be on to something in a spiritual sense.

Maslow did not say procreation was a need. He said fulfillment of sexual needs were. Of course that can lead to procreation as a by product, but not necessarily.

The purpose of every living organism is to reproduce, and before the knowledge by humans that sex led to procreation, it naturally happened. But, since the advent of that realization, and later, forms of birth control, it is no longer necessary.

As edgar said in his last post, our fundamental need is survival of the species. As I have been saying.

If you want to talk and/or believe that there is some grand deeper truth (don't know who the "they" are that you say are spoon feeding us, I certainly never had anyone do that), go for it.

It's all just mental masturbation as far as I'm concerned.

We are mammals, our purpose overall, but not in the particular is to reproduce so our species doesn't go extinct.
Now, our ability to destroy the environment will lead to that extinction instead, aided mostly by our over procreation.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 10:51 pm
@Numb3rThr33,
Numb3rThr33 wrote:

This supernatural entity that you refer to is created by religion, to serve their purpose. As mentioned earlier, this is to cause confusion. That is why I am searching for a deeper truth and not what they are trying to spoon feed us.

There is no supernatural entity, at least no evidence has been shown to even indicate the existance.

Also, I guess sadly for you since you seemed so pinned on it, there is no deeper truth truth out there except that we are conceived, born, live then cease to exist.

Religion, search for meaning, all that was invented out of fear. The fear when you realize you will not exist in the near future.

If people don't want to accept that as the normal order of things, they make **** up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 11:14 pm
There is no more purpose to being human than to be a flower. Probably a rock, even.
chai2

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 11:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Exactly. I find that a very comfortable thought.

Many times, when I’m driving long distances through countryside, I look at and think about random plants/trees, or birds/other animals and how they are existing in the same way I am. Or vice versa actually. It connects me to the planet.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 10:49 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

See, and I view that comment has the childish one. For some unknown reason thinking there is a plan, that I would ever imagine being a mythical thing, or think there was s even some mythical thing that is controlling sufferering , joy or anything, or invented something known as free will.

Let me ask in return, how would you, as Santa Clasus, Mr Peanut, or the Pillsbury Dough Boy, assure everyone got gifts, and weren’t allergic to peanuts or gluten intolerant?

But you’re asking how I, if I were a myth, would do something. Can’t say, because myths aren’t real.

Your point about my question is well taken. I withdraw it, but not my assertion that it is a childish notion that human suffering demonstrates the non-existence of God. It's a good argument against the notion some have of a paternalistic good-guy who watches over us and takes care of us if only we believe in him, but you would be the first person to say that notion was childlike (and it is).

I'm afraid that I see nothing virtuous in attacking notions of God that you believe are childlike, and especially not when your attacks are at the same childlike level.

The typical response is that you and people like you are sick of those who are trying to ram their childlike notion of God down your throat. Posting comments in this forum hardly amounts to such a thing, and if some kid got persistent with you about the existence of Santa Claus, would you feel compelled to set him or her straight?
chai2

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 01:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

but not my assertion that it is a childish notion that human suffering demonstrates the non-existence of God.

But, I never said anything like that.

No one has to demenostrate the non existence of anything.
chai2

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 01:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The typical response is that you and people like you are sick of those who are trying to ram their childlike notion of God down your throat. Posting comments in this forum hardly amounts to such a thing, and if some kid got persistent with you about the existence of Santa Claus, would you feel compelled to set him or her straight?

No, I as an individual was addressing your childish post. Nothing more or less.

Some kid wouldn't even have to be persistent with me about believing in SC.

If he asked me if SC existed, I would tell him no.

If someone was to provide me with evidence of something, I would believe it if it was compelling, based on fact, and could be reproduced.

I've seen nothing ever said or done about either SC, or any gods.

Honestly, you're going over stuff that you know already what I'm going to say. You seem to know all about how I feel about other stuff, so it follows you would also already know about this.

I'm not going to let you put words in my mouth, I'm not going to suddenly decide I'm the one that has no prove something doesn't exist. I'm not going to get involved anymore in hypothetical things like "would you tell a kid there was no proof of santa" Honestly? I'm really skeptical that most kids really believe in Santa anyway. But, that's just my opinion. Maybe though, if people didn't tell kids some really ridiculous stuff about a guy that stops at every house around the world in one night, the kids wouldn't be as likely to try to convince themselves to believe that, hence would be more likely to swallow hook line and sinker equally silly stories about invisible beings that do all kinds of insane **** to people, and also lets other insane **** just happen to people.

I really have no more to say on this thread.
Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 02:50 pm
@chai2,
Wait, wait . . . what about a really good potato salad recipe?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 04:27 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
...about invisible beings that do all kinds of insane **** to people, and also lets other insane **** just happen to people.

And there you go

Quote:
If he asked me if SC existed, I would tell him no.

Aint you a sweetheart
0 Replies