• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,154 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Numb3rThr33

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 06:44 pm
@Numb3rThr33,
Is it possible that our existence is intentionally being influenced, so that we cannot attain our purpose?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 06:58 pm
@Numb3rThr33,
Our purpose is to exist long enough to procreate.

We can however choose to waive that experience.
Glennn

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 08:04 pm
The reason for our existence is that something wanted to prove that it can be done.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 07:48 am
@Numb3rThr33,
Numb3rThr33 wrote:

Life

I've heard that pizza is life. So? The purpose for our existence is indirectly pizza.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 08:13 am
To share kitty pictures.
Glennn

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 08:32 am
The purpose of our existence is to learn the purpose for our existence.
najmelliw

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 08:41 am
@edgarblythe,
tsarstepan wrote:

I've heard that pizza is life. So? The purpose for our existence is indirectly pizza.

edgarblythe wrote:

To share kitty pictures.

Alright, combine the two, share the result, and I have lived life to the fullest!
Cool, that's one down on my bucket list...

https://i.imgur.com/XLp7QU1.jpg
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 03:28 pm
Why should we try to figure out life's "purpose" anyway.

Some might think it's to love and to be loved, other prefer to just - Let It Be.

Numb3rThr33

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 04:31 pm
@PUNKEY,
What if we are in a race against time and we are not even aware of it?
Numb3rThr33

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 04:34 pm
@chai2,
If life was that simple, why do we have intelligence? It would have been a lot easier if we didn't, right?
Numb3rThr33

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 04:36 pm
@Glennn,
If we know the purpose, would it be enough? Will the race be over and will creation come to an end?
najmelliw

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 05:21 pm
@Numb3rThr33,
Numb3rThr33 wrote:

What if we are in a race against time and we are not even aware of it?

As soon as we are born, every single one of us is in a race against time.And every single one of us is perfectly aware of it.

Numb3rThr33 wrote:

If life was that simple, why do we have intelligence? It would have been a lot easier if we didn't, right?

Perhaps easier, but much less fun.

Numb3rThr33 wrote:

If we know the purpose, would it be enough? Will the race be over and will creation come to an end?

If you think mankind is the center of creation and the universe, and every friggin' thing revolves around us, then sure. Somehow, I doubt it.
chai2

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 07:52 pm
@Numb3rThr33,
Numb3rThr33 wrote:

One has nothing to do with the other. Just because our species has developed an intelligence different from other animals, that doesn't mean we have a purpose as opposed to any other living things.

Many other creatures have high intelligence, in some aspects higher than humans. Does that mean they have to have a purpose beyond procreation? Simple/complex, easier/more difficult has nothing to do with it.

You, I and the others here were all born a type of mammal that can think and reason in a way that has at this particular time brought us to the position where we are literally sh!tting where we eat. I suppose some Homo Sapiens would consider their "purpose" to be "saving" us from the path of destruction we are on. Which begs the question where where all the people in the past whose purpose could have been preventing this mess?

I have thought in the past about this desire for some people insisting we have a "purpose" in their lifetime. It seems to me it is in large part based on fear. Fear of no longer existing. Somehow having a "purpose" will provide us with some type of immortality in our limited minds. It's a way of pushing away the fear of the knowledge that some day we simply won't exist.

I just looked it up, and there are currently approx 7 billion people, and in total, approx 107 billion people have ever lived. So each one of these 107 billion, including half the poplulations of large areas that died during plagues, the half a billion that have died during wars (both sides, both the "right" side and the "wrong" side) all had some purpose?

If one chooses to believe we each and every one of us as a purpose, it might very well be that any one persons purpose is completely inconsequential. Those that believe they must have some purpose may be appalled to learn that theirs was being the person that threw their drink container out the window, in the middle of North Dakota, on May 19, 1987, when there were no other humans within 150 miles. The paper of the cup started to desintegrate, some ants picked up some of the pieces and took them back to their tunnels, masticated them down to a pulp, ate it, and pooped it out. The next month in June, there was a lightening storm, and the ant hill was suffered a direct hit, and all members and their poop was turned into ash. The 11 gram weight of the original paper cup turned into smoke and ash, and had no effect on the environment.

Yet, that may have been that humans purpose, if you believe that sort of thing.

If you find that sad, my feelings are you might examine why it does. The result may very well be ego, and the fear of "merely" being a mote in the eye of a flea in the vastness of the universe.

If that thought makes you want to stay in bed and pull the covers over your head, again, fear.

I'm not afraid of not having a purpose. I live, learn things, laugh, love, get mad and so forth.

Why isn't that enough? It is the truth, so might as well make the best of it.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 10:08 pm
@Numb3rThr33,
To satisfy, in some way, the Creator.

What that way is I'm not at all sure.
chai2

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 01:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Your "Creator" must be some sick son of a bitch bastard. If this "satisfies" him in some way they is no reason for anyone to anyone to pay the slightest bit of attention to anything it says, and should strive to be as unlike it as possible.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6d/ce/95/6dce954c3fdce2892cb00507939fdb2e.jpg

http://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/0518694072b783445891938079c327df4a4d94-wm.jpg?v=3
Numb3rThr33

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 05:45 pm
@najmelliw,
I hear what you are saying about the race, but I feel that we do not have a choice, other than to participate and play by the rules, whether we like it or not. Humor me for one moment. What if everything that we perceive to know is actually not as it should be. What if we are purposefully redirected not to uncover the truth by some kind of intervention, to structurally divide us (politics), deprive us (economy), confuse us (religion and science) and occupy our time within this structure, not to even consider that there is another side to this coin, we call life?
0 Replies

Numb3rThr33

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 06:02 pm
@chai2,
Do you honestly think that God created the economy? Humanity did and that is what is depriving some of the most basic necessities. Humanity must accept responsibilities for their actions, because they made the choice. Do not get me wrong, religion is far from what it should be, so do not believe everything they say. What I am trying to say is that there is more to this existence, that we are born into, that meets the eye, something hidden in plain sight.
Numb3rThr33

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 06:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I agree, but I do not believe that what is preached is what it takes and the diversity of religions is just adding to the confusion. Who is right and who is wrong. I believe acknowledgment of our Creator is a good starting point, as I noticed the you did not say "God". If my assessment is correct, you feel that there is more to this mundane routine, we call life.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 06:31 pm
@Numb3rThr33,
I don’t know a god created anything because no one has ever produced any evidence for a god.

I was directly responding to the person above mines post.

I’m not talking about economics, politics or anything else, and i’m Not going to get dragged into that. I’m not talking about anything besides your idea about there needing to be some purpose.

If people are starving to death, and you believe there is a purpose to their lives, then it follows that you must think a one year old starving to death, or that an infant being raped by an adult so that it dies from internal injuries, is their purpose. And what about the rapist of this infant, was that their purpose?

You want to talk in these vague philosophical terms about nebulous ideas. I’m showing that the idea of a person having a “purpose to their lives” is more likely related to fear, as addressed in a previous post. Which you have ignored.

Now I agree that people can have or develop great passions for something or things in their lives, which can end up, maybe not in their lifetime, breaging great good for mankind as a whole or for just one person (including themselves)

That is not their purpose, but their vision, and willingness to work toward that goal.

Why exactly do you feel humans have a purpose? Be specific as to why, and not basically “well because”.

If you can’t show a demonstrable example why, with evidence, I have no interest in continuing this. My time is too important to me to read blatherings.