Taking the Jeopardy Test

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 11:26 pm
Mac ,
as far as I remember they didn't take off for spelling.

But then again , you don't want to be the "bad speller " on Jeopardy , do you ?

Cue the Weird Al Song.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:13 am
mac11 wrote:
Merry Andrew, I agree about this being a small world - I must say that every day. Are your colleague and his wife both going to take the test?

Bethie, I remember General Lee, but never heard about him being on Jeopardy. Did he win any money?

I really don't expect to pass the test. I just want to take a stab at it!

As I understand it, mac. his wife has already taken and passed the written portion of the test when it was administered in Boston at some point in the past. Now he's going to take it in situ and both will be evaluated for "televisability."
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:57 am
I'm actually a very good speller. I was thinking that that might work to my advantage... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:17 pm
Tomorrow's the big day - it'll be over by noon (sooner if I don't pass the test!)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:19 pm
Knock 'em dead!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:24 pm
maxi!

maxi!

maxi!

maxisoneinamillion![/size][/color]
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 11:16 am
Thanks for the good wishes. But sadly, I didn't pass the test.

It was REALLY hard. 50 questions on 50 subjects. Eight seconds to answer before the next question pops up on the screen.

I knew some of them easily, and was completely clueless on a few. Out of 150 people there, only 5 people passed.

Oh well, there's always next year!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 11:23 am
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

Thanks for letting us know! I was thinking about you today.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 11:27 am
Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 11:39 am
I was going to say, I'll bet you were #6, but that might only make you feel worse! It almost sounds like studying ahead of time doesn't help that much, if the questions are that random.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 11:42 am
Studying didn't help a bit. I really worked on geography and bible info because they're my weak points. Oh, and I memorized the presidents in order.

(Actually sports is my worst subject, but I just didn't bother working on memorizing all those stats!)

There were no bible questions. No president questions. And I knew the answer to the only sports question they asked. Shocked
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 11:52 am
Crying or Very sad But, you'll do it next time, Mac. Hey, qualifying for taking the test is an achievement in itself.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 11:57 am
Thanks, sweetie. (But I think that was just getting my name drawn from a hat!) Very Happy

The woman I sat next to had taken the test twice before. The third time wasn't the charm for her either...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 12:35 pm
Is it against any rules to give a sample of what the questions were like? Just curious.
0 Replies

nilfun

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 12:56 pm
Don't feel too bad. I took the test in Houston yesterday, and only five out of our group passed. I had taken it in 1999 in LA, so I knew what to expect, although it had changed a little, but still didn't make it. It's definitely not easy!

Confused
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:49 pm
i passed the test the first time, but failed the "mock game"; not because i didn't know answers, but because of "televisability". i my case, i think i didn't speak loud enough.

before jeopardy, i also failed the "mock game" for <win ben stein's money> and <weakest link>. a hat trick of sorts. next year, i will try to go for the golden sombrero with <who wants to be a millionaire>

so, is it better to have passed the test, and not get picked, or not to pass the test?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:36 pm
Hi nilfun, welcome to a2k. So it wasn't just our group that was a bunch of low-achievers, huh? Did Tony tell y'all that you were his favorite group too? Very Happy Hey, maybe they're just taking the top five from each session...

yitwail, I took and passed the Millionaire test a few years ago. (2000 or 2001 I think) I usually claim to have failed the interview as I never heard from them again.
0 Replies

nilfun

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:03 am
Thanks for the welcome....

Tony said something like that to our group. Something about liking Houston, although not being too crazy about the hotel. Apparently last time [2001-ish] they were downtown somewhere. And, as they were reading out the "winners", he was muttering something about only five out of this great big room full of people. I was sitting on the front row because I wanted to be sure I could read the screen unobstructedly, which is about the only thing my past experience gained for me!

My brother also had the same experience with Millionaire. Passed the test, went for the interview in San Antonio, never heard anything. I always wanted to be on Ben Stein, though. Smile
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:14 am
Yeah, I like Ben Stein. I like the sense of humor he and his writers have.

I sat on the front row too. I wanted a good view and figured there'd be fewer distractions.
0 Replies

pommelhead

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 11:24 am
RE: Jeopardy test
Hi Mac-

I'm taking the test in a few days in Chicago.... can you tell "ANY" of the questions that were on the test?? Even a few might be able to give me a confidence boost...
0 Replies