Jeff Sessions just got canned.

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 05:00 pm
I don't know whether to feel elated because I always hated Sessions, or upset because this this could be a step to something much worse like getting rid of Mueller. I suspect we might see a legal battle brewing.

Is upelated a word?

Sturgis

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 05:18 pm
@maxdancona,
Feel worried. Feel terrified. Feel uneasy.
(there really aren't any positives here. Sessions one good quality was not succumbing to Trump and his desires on the investigations)

So who is next?
Matthew Whitaker? Has spoken against the Mueller investigation. Selected as acting A.G. he will have an edge.

Rudolph "the madman" Giuliani? It's clear where he is on all of this. Back when he was A.G. in New York, he was semi-lucid and had a good track record. Somewhere during his years as NYC Mayor he began to unravel into egomania.

Kris Kobach?
Scott Walker?
Janice Rogers Brown?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 05:28 pm
I think Mueller will move fairly quickly. If we don't hear something from him by early next week, I will be surprised.

Senate Republicans might be put in a very difficult situation. They will have to confirm the nomination... I think they know the stakes might be very high, their votes may be written in history books.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 05:34 pm
@Sturgis,
Rod Rosenstein is it for now. I don't think that will last very long.

Apparently the president can try to use the Federal Vacancies Reform Act to replace Rosenstein. This suggests that the president can replace the Attorney General with any official who has already received the "advice and consent" of the Senate. This is not a big list.

This will lead to a legal battle. Fun.

Edit: The scuttlebutt on the internet is that Scott Pruitt may get the position (he meets the advice and consent criterion).
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 11:07 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Senate Republicans might be put in a very difficult situation. They will have to confirm the nomination... I think they know the stakes might be very high, their votes may be written in history books.
History has never harshly judged anyone for standing up to a witch hunt.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 03:03 pm
@maxdancona,
This is a tempest in a teapot.

Mueller is so far along that unless Trump sends a Special Forces team to wipe him and his findings out, whatever he has found will come out. You can't believe that he is one or two months away from cracking this case.

At least you are honest about your prior thoughts about Sessions. They were absurd, but you're not trying to hide them, like some others, and declare him the ultimate patriot.

Trump wanted Sessions gone. That was his prerogative.

Dems want an AG that is recused from involvement in the Mueller investigation.

Trump wants an AG that operates the way Holder operated for Obama...as his wingman. I don't remember you bleating about how wrong that was.

Unfortunately for Trump, he will be hard pressed to find a Republican Name who serve with such venal partisanship.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 10:15 pm
https://www.politico.com/blogs/politico44/2013/04/eric-holder-im-still-the-presidents-wingman-160861

Spare me the faux outrage about the Sessions' firing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 08:46 am
He should have gotten caned.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Jeff Sessions just got canned.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 07:47:16