HELP required with my coursework!!!!

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:25 am
I really need some help with my coursework. I've been a naughty girl (make that a very very very very very naughty girl) & left it to the very last minute to do this assignment - it has to be handed in in no less than 4 days!! Anyways, I better stop blabbering on and tell you what the problem is...ok here goes:

Suresh is comparing magazines and newspapers.

He chooses a passage from one newspaper and one magazine. They each contain 100 words and he counts the lengths of all the words.

Suresh then says that the magazine has the shortest words.

Write a hypothesis about the length of words in newspapers and magazines.

Design and carry out an investigation to test your hypothesis.

Investigate further....

OK so theres the problem. Im gonna get to work now and find the two passages but I want to know how to present the information and what exactly do I write - eg 'word one of the magazine passage was longer than the first word of the newspaper passage'...ok not a good time for sarcasm but Im panicking!!

Also if anyone has already tackled this coursework and has any notes they can share then pleaseeeeee email them to me at [email protected].
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 574 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 07:16 am
Summer2k4- So, you have four days to complete that assignment. That is plenty of time. Just do it. If we give you the answers, you have learned nothing, and learning IS the purpose of school. Get with the program!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:10 am
A clue
I'll give you a hint.

You have an observation that in one sample, the words in a newspaper article were longer than the words in a magazine article. Based on that small sample, you need to make a guess (hypothesis) about magazines versus newspapers in general. Then you need to design a better test (experiment) to see if your hypothesis stands up to scrutiny.

To give you a ludicrous example that will in no way help you with your project, suppose you hypothesize that the reason the newspaper had longer words was that the newspaper was in English and the magazine was in Spanish. You could further test that by looking up the English and Spanish equivalent for many words and showing that Spanish words are in general shorter than their English equivalents. Note that the hypothesis may not hold up under further examination. That is not a negative. It just means the hypothesis was not correct. Most hypotheses are incorrect.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:16 am
You got good advice so far. You probably know you need to record the data (probably keep a chart for each passage and record the number of 3, 4, 5, etc. letter words). Then you might calculate an average and a median to draw some conclusion about the lengths of words in each passage. You may want to do this with more than one pair of passages to ensure accuracy.

But this is after you've done what engineer suggested which is form some hypothesis based on the original observation. Good luck!
0 Replies