FEATURED: Little help here?

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:47 pm
haha, i tricked you!!! ( i think... ) this isn't featured!! oh well... you see, i have got 2 x 10 watt speakers, and i would like to make a mini speaker system for my MP3 player... any suggestions or tips? thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 685 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 01:52 pm
What kind of cable do they have? I would suggest going to your friendly local radioshack and finding the adapters you need, but I don't know what kind of cords you have so I can't really help.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:03 am
The output of your mp3 player is gonna be pretty low level. If you have a line out output, it's at the same level as a stereo input to a receiver. If you use the headphone output, it's going to be a little higher, but not significantly--you MIGht (or might not), be able to drive a pair of very small speakers (like about an inch size), but they'll sound awful. You need an amp of some sort to drive the speakers. OR you could go to a computer store and set a cheap set of computer stereo speakers, with the regular stereo mini-plug, which looks just like a headphone plug. That should cost $10 or less for basic speakers, which won't be great but won't be too awful either (or you may have an old pair of speakers hanging around if you've had a couple of computers).

Alternatively, if you have a regular stereo, Belkin, among others, makes a couple different FM transmitters that you can plug into your headphone jack. Tune them to one of several different unused frequencies on your stereo, and you can play your MP3 through it. You can also use the transmitter to play it thru your car stereo. Some transmitters run on car's 12V system. Some use AAA batteries. They cost between about $20 and $50 depending on features.
0 Replies

electricelectric

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:08 am
ok... this looks a little complicated and Im going to skip on this project... Crying or Very sad bye bye speakers!! Thanks you guys for help anyway...
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:29 am
yeah, using the speakers you have might be a little complex, but getting a cheap set of computer speakers is easy. They have self-contained amps,so you just plug the power cord into the wall and the speakers' input cable (which ends with a plug that looks just like the plug on the end of your headphones), into the headphone jack on your mp3. Easy.
0 Replies