Oh good god

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 10:36 pm
Dear lord what's happening. I'm not sure if this has been posted on these forums yet anywhere, but I didn't see it here and I think it deserves an audience here.

Taken from http://www.alligator.org/pt2/050323freedom.php

Quote:

The staff analysis also warned the bill may shift responsibility for determining whether a student's freedom has been infringed from the faculty to the courts.

But Baxley brushed off Gelber's concerns. "Freedom is a dangerous thing, and you might be exposed to things you don't want to hear," he said. "Being a businessman, I found out you can be sued for anything. Besides, if students are being persecuted and ridiculed for their beliefs, I think they should be given standing to sue."

During the committee hearing, Baxley cast opposition to his bill as "leftists" struggling against "mainstream society."

"The critics ridicule me for daring to stand up for students and faculty," he said, adding that he was called a McCarthyist.

Baxley later said he had a list of students who were discriminated against by professors, but refused to reveal names because he felt they would be persecuted.

Rep. Eleanor Sobel, D-Hollywood, argued universities and the state Board of Governors already have policies in place to protect academic freedom. Moreover, a state law outlining how professors are supposed to teach would encroach on the board's authority to manage state schools.

"The big hand of state government is going into the universities telling them how to teach," she said. "This bill is the antithesis of academic freedom."

But Baxley compared the state's universities to children, saying the legislature should not give them money without providing "guidance" to their behavior.

"Professors are accountable for what they say or do," he said. "They're accountable to the rest of us in society … All of a sudden the faculty think they can do what they want and shut us out. Why is it so unheard of to say the professor shouldn't be a dictator and control that room as their totalitarian niche?"

In an interview before the meeting, Baxley said "arrogant, elitist academics are swarming" to oppose the bill, and media reports misrepresented his intentions.

"I expect to be out there on my own pretty far," he said. "I don't expect to be part of a team."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 612 • Replies: 4
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 10:43 pm
Vengor, Somebody already started a forum on this topic. I'll try to locate it and let you know the link.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:01 pm
Try this link. http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48072&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:02 pm
Ah. Thank you. Sorry about that everyone.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 07:38 am
HOly **** and it begins. THe attempt to stop progress and sent us backwards. Dman those fools.
0 Replies