What is with the blue lights?

Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 05:27 am
Recently I noticed that many people have been using blue lights for their outdoor lights - those on lampposts and by their doors. Not the string decorative ones you would have for a party, Christmas, Halloween....but the lights you normally use for being able to see your driveway and doorway at night.

Is there some reason for these blue lights instead of the usual clear/whitish type?

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 06:30 am
@Linkat,
to support the current police state we live in.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 06:38 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Is there some reason for these blue lights instead of the usual clear/whitish type?

I suspect it cuts down on light pollution (though I can't say if this is a consideration thought up by the homeowners in question). Maybe it's also cheaper to run these lights (electrical bill wise).
McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 06:40 am
@tsarstepan,
No, seriously is to support cops.

PROJECT BLUE LIGHT

The idea began in 1989 when Mrs. Dolly Craig wrote to C.O.P.S. that she would be putting two blue candles in her living room window that holiday season. One for her son-in-law, Daniel Gleason, who had been killed in the line of duty while serving with the Philadelphia (PA) Police Department on June 5, 1986, and one for her daughter and Danny’s wife, Pam, who had been killed in an automobile accident in August 1989. Danny and Pam had 6 children. Dolly Craig is now deceased as well, but her idea is her legacy. Project Blue Light now burns bright in the hearts of the nearly 32,000 survivors of America’s fallen law enforcement officers during the holiday season.
C.O.P.S. adopted this idea as a way for everyone to honor the officers who serve and protect us while remembering those who have died in the line of duty. Project Blue Light has grown steadily as a way of remembering our departed law enforcement officers across America. The concept is simple. Place a single blue light in your window in memory of fallen officers. At this time of year, ornamental light fixtures, such as candlestick replicas, are easy to come by and serve this purpose well.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 06:41 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

No, seriously is to support cops.

PROJECT BLUE LIGHT

Learn something new everyday. Surprised
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 06:43 am
@McGentrix,
Could also be the Blue Light Safety Project.

Quote:
The Blue Light Safety Project is a Santa Cruz local community effort to provide temporary safe spaces for people who are feeling unsafe. Community members who want to provide a safe space to those in need simply put a blue light on their house.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 07:00 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

The Blue Light Safety Project is a Santa Cruz local community

But doesn't Linkat live on the Atlantic coast of the US?
engineer

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 07:42 am
@tsarstepan,
I think McG probably has it right, but just throwing out options.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 08:40 am
@Linkat,
McG is probably right, but it's also possible that people are simply starting to buy those WiFi controlled Multi-Hue light bulbs.

I started buying Multi-Hue bulbs several months ago and now I have them everywhere. I often set the outside porch lights and deck lights to blue just because I like the blue. I wasn't even aware of the "Blue Light Project" which McG mentioned. It was just coincidence in my case.

I also change the outside light color based on holidays, orange or red for Halloween or red/green for Christmas.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 08:52 am
@McGentrix,
It sounds reasonable - but it isn't in the windows - it is in the lampposts and lights you see outside your front and side door.

We live in area where there are few street lights so most houses have lamppost at the end of their driveways - and also on their side and front doors.

These are not in the windows
ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 08:56 am
this time of year, blue and teal lights and pumpkins in our area mean that you will have non-candy/peanut-free treats for Halloweén. We started seeing them again just after Canadian Thanksgiving.

So many messages in different areas using the same symbols. Memory of fallen heroes/safe houses/peanut-free/new lighting.
Linkat

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 08:59 am
@Linkat,
Ok I am reading that this is in the south too - the support for police with blue lights so maybe it moving towards us.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:27 pm
Used to be you tied a Yellow ribbon around Oak trees and maybe tied an onion on your belt. Now you got blue lights for cops, pink lights for cancer, red lights for firemen, green lights for veterans, white lights for racists. It's getting crazy out there.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:42 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

this time of year, blue and teal lights and pumpkins in our area mean that you will have non-candy/peanut-free treats for Halloweén. We started seeing them again just after Canadian Thanksgiving.

What color lights are for gluten free treats? Vegan treats? Halal treats?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 01:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
I wouldn't be surprised if that happened in my neighbourhood. Or at least in the hipster portion grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Twisted Evil I want my old, change their oil in the driveway, neighbours back.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 03:30 pm
@McGentrix,
And then you’ve got me just picking colors because I like them. No rhyme or reason. It’s chaos, cats and dogs living together...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What is with the blue lights?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 02:33:48