Strange calls from family members

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2018 10:57 pm
I'm getting calls on my cellphone from family members, but they tell me they have not called me. What's going on?

glitterbag

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2018 11:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Somebody may be spoofing your number, or maybe they butt dialed you and forgot??
roger

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2018 11:58 pm
@glitterbag,
I get spoofs. They're from my name and phone number.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 12:16 am
@roger,
Yeah, I've seen those before....it's irritating. Last week I got my first 'Gramma, is that you??" call. It was fun, the grand child told me had been to a wedding in New York, then he was in a traffic accident, now he is at a police station and he wants me to talk to his public defender about something...........My answers were: Yes sweetie, it's gramma......then....Did you have a good time????.........Oh no sweetie, are you hurt, was anybody hurt?...........Why are you at the police station?? Oh no!!!, did you tell your Father, he's right here fixing my sink..hold on...Bucky, Bucky?....Pookie's at the police station...What? I said Pookie's at the police station....What? Wha?....then a dramatic gasp, a sputter, and "Your daddy is very angry, what did you do?? "Oh hang on a second Pookie, your mother is on line 2, Hang on?? Hello?? oh sorry I thought I clicked #2...

My motto is " If you try to flip flam me, you better hold on to your freeping hat, because I'm gonna make you work"
roger

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 01:15 am
@glitterbag,
I'm not so creative on the spur of the moment. Wish I were.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 01:42 am
@roger,
The idea didn't start with me, I've read articles about how others make these nuisance con games entertaining for themselves. Mr. G'bag has a answered the phone before when "grandchild" called, but he got angry and the con and Mr. G'bag engaged in a spirited exchange of profanities. I figured there had to be a better way to deal with these jerks and I was a little jealous I didn't catch the call. I didn't write out scripts But the next when 'grandson ' called I went into 4 alarm mother./grandmother
roger

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 02:20 am
@glitterbag,
But 'Pookey'?

Well, if it worked, it worked.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 06:07 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm getting calls on my cellphone from family members, but they tell me they have not called me. What's going on?

This is an example of a new trend in phishing scams. Please take heed. These assholes can now trick the caller ID (as mentioned above ... can spoof the details and make it look like the phone call is coming from your own number).

One trending scam is to call older people and have the person claim to be a nephew or niece (the caller hoping that the person answering may have forgotten he or she had a nephew or niece in the first place).

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 10:33 am
@roger,
We're about the same age, so I know exactly what you mean. Mental capacity has really slowed down to a crawl. My wife has to double check everything I do, because I'm so forgetful. We went to buy another car for me, because my older car (2006 Acura TL) broke down with transmission problem, and it would have cost about $4,000 for a $7,000 car. I sold it to the repair shop, because everything else was in excellent shape. I now have a 2017 Acura ILX with less than 2,000 miles on it. It has all the bells and whistles, but more importantly, it has a GPS. This one should be my last car.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 10:36 am
@tsarstepan,
The numbers claimed to be my sister and niece, but they didn't call me. I wish the telephone companies would fix this. The feds need to write new legislation on phony calls with a huge fine and prison time.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 11:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The feds need to write new legislation on phony calls with a huge fine and prison time.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
How in the hell can they enforce these laws when the lawbreakers are likely doing this crap in 13th and 14th world countries? The people breaking these potentially new laws you think will work? They're not doing them in the US. These goofy and pointless new legislation you're asking for is literally unenforceable.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 01:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah. My '03 Focus went from cream puff to dog in the space of one month. I had to bite the bullet and replace it with a Corolla. I had to ask a neighbor how to make the windshield washers work. Trust me: neither the manual nor the markings on the lever provided usable information. More bells and whistles than I need or want.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 01:28 pm
@roger,
The bells and whistles are great if you know how to use them. I know my current car has features I haven't used yet.......and I would love it if each car had the controls located in the same region so I wouldn't get flummoxed each time I switch cars. The gas tank isn't even on the same side as the other car. It's embarrassing to pull up to the pump, get out of the car and see the tank is on the other side, you can't nonchalantly play that off.
roger

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 03:33 pm
@glitterbag,
It's great. I can't remove the ignition key unless the transmission in in Park. But, 5 years down the road, what could go wrong with that? When I put the car in Park, all the doors unlock. Okay, unlock the driver's door so you can't lock yourself out, but I'm not at all sure unlocking all four doors is exactly what I want. And if I do, I've got this cute little button that will do the same - if that's my choice.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 03:53 pm
@roger,
by The way ‘pooky’ was kinda lame, I was going to call him Bubba but I don’t have enough lilt to pull it off, only other thing was pooky.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Strange calls from family members
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 07:52:01