Touching other people's lives

Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:43 am
It just occured to me this morning how important this message board is for many people, myself included. I probably wouldn't normally admit this, but since I'm in a "confessing type of mood", I'll spill my guts.

In real life, I don't have any friends. Sure, I have lots of acquaintences, but not any chummy, chummy people that I can "pal" around with, etc. It's my wife, daughters, and other relatives in my circle. My immediate neighbors are real duds, so we keep to ourselves.

On this board, we have fun, joke, roleplay, post humerous pics, etc, but it also has its serious side, too. I'm not just talking about forums like the political and religious ones either. What I'm talking about is sharing personal stories that others can relate to. As much as the internet can be a very anonymous place, it can be as personal as you want it to be. That's what I love about it as well. This message board is a way of touching others' lives. That, in my opinion, makes it extremely important. Some of us are isolated. Some of us are aged, or incapacitated, or shy, or frail in some way or other. It makes for a wonderful vehicle to make friends, and feel connected to society, and the rest of the world.

I've made a lot of friends on a chess site that I frequent. We have chess in common and we also chat a little, but for the most part, with a few exceptions, there's not a lot of meaningful conversations going on. We're concentrating on our game. This message board is different. Meaningful exchanges of words do occur, from time to time, when the time is right. I think this brings a lot of satisfaction to many people - comfort even.

It's nice to be able to reach out to anyone on this planet with an internet connection and be able to touch their life, in one way or another.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,364 • Replies: 22
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:47 am
You're quite right, Reyn.

There are some boards, like A2K, that have something 'extra' in addition to the posts and games. A sort of spirit.

I know that I've found a lot of comfort here in the last month.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:59 am
I myself have one thread in particular that means a real lot to me. I agree with you Reyn. I think this place is a great place... it is my way of escaping certain things I can't take in my "real world"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:05 pm
Reyn, if it weren't for this forum, I would have become another Emily Dickinson. It keeps me in touch with myself and my writing and all the other wonderful people here that I might otherwise never know.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:08 pm
I'm generally a "one good friend" person. I've never been one who could take the time and energy to maintain multiple good friendships. I have fun with my co-workers and talk serious stuff with my sisters and I have one good friend who I get together with sometimes for fun. But I really like coming here for the intellectual stimulation. I like being informed by people's opinions from all around the world. I enjoy the humor that most on this site seem to have, as well as the level of wit.

And I feel free to say things about myself that I might not say to those who would be able to pass daily judgment on my life -- face to face. Plus, folks around here are mostly of the non-judgmental supportive kind, which I totally appreciate.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:12 pm
Yeah, right on, guys! Now, I want to hear from some of our male population as well. I couldn't be the only softy on this board. Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:14 pm
Nah, of course not. Look at Gus and kicky and Slappy! The spend almost every waking hour here with us.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:15 pm
The Dear Diary thread is where ya can find some o them softy guys.
We love 'em. :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 01:04 pm
I'll check that out....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 01:08 pm
There are a few forums where I have some good personal friends, as well as friendly acquaintences. A2K is one of the two I like best. It's like a small city where you go out and meet so many interesting people.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 01:38 pm
Yes, indeed! I was thinking much the same as I was writing the first post of this thread.

And, certainly with the internet, the whole world becomes a smaller place. Look at posting here this way: We're all doing our thing to make this planet a friendlier place. One where more understanding exists.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 04:23 pm
It's certainly a great place to be. The whole range of emotions all at the touch of a button.
The only thing I worry about is, with my slightly unusual ( to say the least) humour, I unintentionally cause upset or offence. How many people reading this have posted something they have regretted.
I certainly have (sorry), and so I now try to think something through quite carefully before pressing the "submit" button.
Nice people, caring people and funny people.....I think that's why there are so many participating members. I'm glad I found it.
I just wonder if we'll still all be here telling naughty jokes from our rocking chairs......hope so.
Ellpus.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 04:40 pm
haha...I was thinking that as well. You know, between you and Gus, you two are going to have to arm wrestle for the title of A2k Funny Guy! Laughing I love it! Definitely a fan.....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:24 pm
I found this forum by accident and was quickly charmed by the wit and humor of the "regulars" - so I stuck my foot in the door and eventually squeezed in all the way.

Actually, I like this forum because I'm very social, but work at home. I do have some good friends, but they have real jobs and I can't just pick up the phone and call them because I would be bothering them at work.

Places like this are also a creative outlet for my overactive mind. I go to a couple of other forums, mostly centered on small scale farming, but they tend to be more conservative and do not appreciate my sense of humor. I was once scolded by a moderator for using the word "hell" in one of my posts. I was told to write it is like this: h*ll.

I also love the idea of meeting people from other places. It's great to get different viewpoints. I think the first person who "spoke" to me was Francis and he was so nice
and I was delighted to see he was from France. There are times I curse this computer and think life would be better if I threw it out the window, but then I remember it is also a doorway to the world.

Glad to meet you all.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:31 pm
i'm like reyn, in the freind department, i work a lot of hours, and my really close friends all live elsewhere, i've got work accquaintances, but most don't share enough interests to be friends, it's amazing that in the year i've been here, i've become close enough to people i don't even know to be saddened by one members passing to the extent that people at work commented on why i was so down, i think that says volumes about the spirit of community at this board
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 04:38 am
I just love it here, the diversity is wonderful and perfect for me. I used to work for a large company that employed people from all over the world and all walks of life. I miss the people alot more than the company, A2K satiates that part of me, and it also has helped come out of my mental shell, (i end to be shy) but I have also had to "tone" myself down a bit, and think before I post.

If I need a laugh I head straight for Gus and now Ellpus! I spend my day's taking care of my mom and that can become draining at times. A2k has brought much needed relief, (to say the least) not to mention the choice of topics I can learn about at any given time.
And I enjoy watching certain A2Ker's show up on the distress threads, (relationships) the advice and suggestions that some of the folks here come up with is right on the money and sound.

There isn't one person on A2K that I dislike, some people I don't agree with at times, but I can see facets of them that are wonderful and helpful to others, everyone has a gift that I can see, I would like to give names but I don't know everyone and I wouldn't want anyone to feel left out.

I would just like to say, that there are some very talented people here and I appreciate and notice all of you.

I have found A2K to be a blessing. Keep up the good work everyone!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 09:54 am
paulaj wrote:
...I spend my day's taking care of my mom and that can become draining at times. A2k has brought much needed relief...

This is exactly the sort of story that I was referring to in my original post. Thank you for sharing this, Paula.

I'm sure that there may be others that can relate to this, or may be headed toward a similar situation.

By the way, Paula, I'd love to include you within my A2K Avatar Collage project....somehow. Is there some image of some kind that you could share with me?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 12:56 pm
As you can see, I don't have an avatar, I am imageless. Your doing a nice job on your project, keep up the good work! :-)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 01:32 pm
Hmm, yes....perhaps if I just use your name.....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 06:25 pm
I've had a hard time posting to this thread. I've made a couple of attempts and quit. I don't know how to put it into words. There's something about the people here, the love here, the comraderie here, the debate here, the support here, the fun here, the ???? I don't know what it is or how to explain it, there's just something about this place that's special.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Touching other people's lives
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 12:58:37