Soft tissue found in T-Rex fossil

dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:54 pm
Could they not take small core-samples from some representative bones? With minimal damage?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 09:13 pm
So cool!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:10 pm
strike one from the creationists - lol

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48127
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 03:13 am
edgarblythe wrote:
That is totally amazing.

Only to somebody who actually believed the BS about dinosaurs having died out 70 million years ago....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 07:13 am
pdog-birdbones have a certain hollowness and extensive vascular structure on the inside walls of the long bones.

gunga, anybody who takes their science from Gospels that dont even agree or even Bibles that have many different versions just so they can look like they were written before a historical event, cannot cast doubt on how "science" determines ages. .
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:43 am
farmerman wrote:
pdog-birdbones have a certain hollowness and extensive vascular structure on the inside walls of the long bones.

I'm not sure that the point of the article was to say how dinosaurs were related to birds, though I'm sure this will add detail to the linkage.

I was more interested in the fact that they can find soft tissue at all. I was under the impression that fossils were not actually "bone" any more, but mineralized deposits which had attached to the original material and then retained a difference which we could find in the rock matrix.

I'm not sure how soft tissue can survive that length of time. I can see how it might happen in Amber because it's hermetically sealed and durable... but in mineralized rock?

I'm still a bit skeptical of this event, even though I hope it's true. J.Horner apparently thinks it's more common than we realize, and he probably knows more than I do, but if today was April 1st, I would be looking for the "April Fool" line somewhere in there.

I'm looking forward to finding corroborating evidence, and to learning more about how the soft tissue survives.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:59 am
agreed, but,the formation of a leathery "soap"from fatty deposits has been found from fossils from 20000 years ago.Im not at all acquainted with a adiposere deposit older than that

Im at a loss to get my mind around this too. Im sure it will < if true, lead to some new work on preservation chemistry. If its the result of anoxic conditions like some of the other preserved protein and chitin specimens, then we will have to start smacking bones open like clam shells to look inside

I see that gunga is off already jumping to unfounded conclusions without any sense of where this stuff even takes us. By his comments, we can see how his mind works. Inside his head There is no room for any objective science , only dogma.
I hope they tear this stuff apart and subject it to testing at all levels. Its amazing, probably among the most important fossil finds ever.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:19 am
Farmerman
farmerman wrote:
agreed, but,the formation of a leathery "soap"from fatty deposits has been found from fossils from 20000 years ago.Im not at all acquainted with a adiposere deposit older than that

Im at a loss to get my mind around this too. Im sure it will < if true, lead to some new work on preservation chemistry. If its the result of anoxic conditions like some of the other preserved protein and chitin specimens, then we will have to start smacking bones open like clam shells to look inside

I see that gunga is off already jumping to unfounded conclusions without any sense of where this stuff even takes us. By his comments, we can see how his mind works. Inside his head There is no room for any objective science , only dogma.
I hope they tear this stuff apart and subject it to testing at all levels. Its amazing, probably among the most important fossil finds ever.

If they do indeed find cells to study, it will inflame the Right to Life folks to demand this creature's existence be protected as it has been for the last 4,000 years since it died but it's soul still lives.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:24 am
How interesting. I wonder, could these blood structures offer evidence towards T.Rex being warm-blooded or not?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:26 am
One comment I've seen:

Quote:

Here is an opportunity for young-earth creationists to make a strong case. It's easier to prove an upper limit than a lower limit: e.g., that under the best of conditions, cells or blood vessels could not be older than a lower limit based on lab observations, rather than to claim they could last millions of years, because no observer could keep records on such time scales. Someone should also apply carbon dating to the tissues and see if any C-14 is present. It would be below the detection threshhold if the bone is as old as claimed. Watch the efforts to find out if DNA is still present, which "cannot survive that long" according to Derek Briggs in the News@Nature article. There's a prediction that can be tested.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:44 am
farmerman wrote:

Agreed. There is a world of difffernce between a mineralized imprint of something (a fossil), and actual tissue. The acuracy of our understanding of deep-time organisms should increase dramatically if this turns out valid and repeatable.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:46 am
Uhhh. Carbon-14? That is only good for dating up to a certain age... less than 100,000 years. You need another isotope with a longer half-life.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:50 am
Piffka wrote:
How interesting. I wonder, could these blood structures offer evidence towards T.Rex being warm-blooded or not?

I was wondering this myself. And I think there's a good chance that they will tell us exactly that, and more.

Warm bloodedness is already indicated in fossils which show the bone density and cell structure, and I've been convinced for years that some (if not all) dinosaurs were warm blooded. The more we learn about their behavior and the more we learn about their relationship to birds, the more hot blooded dinosaurs (theropod dinosaurs) appear to be.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:05 am
gungasnake wrote:
One comment I've seen:

Quote:

Here is an opportunity for young-earth creationists to make a strong case. It's easier to prove an upper limit than a lower limit: e.g., that under the best of conditions, cells or blood vessels could not be older than a lower limit based on lab observations, rather than to claim they could last millions of years, because no observer could keep records on such time scales. Someone should also apply carbon dating to the tissues and see if any C-14 is present. It would be below the detection threshhold if the bone is as old as claimed. Watch the efforts to find out if DNA is still present, which "cannot survive that long" according to Derek Briggs in the News@Nature article. There's a prediction that can be tested.

You're going about this all backward Gunga.

Science knows more about the age of the Earth and the timeline of the dinosaurs than we do about soft tissue preservation and DNA stability.

Therefor, if someone finds DNA in the sample, and Derek Briggs says it can't happen, then Derek Briggs is wrong, and if we find cell samples and Creationists say that can't happen, then the Creationists are wrong.

Science is certainly not going to conclude from one soft tissue sample, that all the other corroborated evidence known to science is wrong, and the tissue sample is right.

Any new information they find will be used to better understand how soft tissue and DNA preserve over long periods of time. They're not going to use a lesser known science to overturn a greater known science. That would be stupid.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:44 am
Piffka wrote:
Uhhh. Carbon-14? That is only good for dating up to a certain age... less than 100,000 years. You need another isotope with a longer half-life.

Carbon dating is good for about 40,000 - 50,000 years. My own guess is that the trex tissue would carbon date somewhere around 10k - 30k.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:08 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Carbon dating is good for about 40,000 - 50,000 years. My own guess is that the trex tissue would carbon date somewhere around 10k - 30k.

How could the date of the soft tissue be 20k years ago, when the rock matrix it was found in is many millions of years older than that? Do you think someone injected soft tissue samples into the rock?

I'm guessing that you think the rock matrix is also 20k years old. Which means that you are simply in denial about our ability to determine an accurate age for rocks.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:24 pm
This article provides more detail on the process used to retrieve the "soft tissue" and what it may be.

The reason I put "soft tissue" in quotes above is because the article describes a process of mineral removal which leaves "flexible" structures behind which show what appear to be soft tissue structures, like cells and blood vessels.

However, it's not clear at this point exactly what the material is, which remains after the de-mineralization process. Until they isolate actual DNA, they may find that all they have is chemical residue of the de-mineralization process which has etched itself into the details of the fossil matrix.

The intent of the process they are using is to remove all the mineral and leave behind "non-mineral" components. But it may be that the process they are using doesn't work the way they think it does, and instead is more like submerging a rock in some type of chemical which hardens into all the crevases of the rock before disolving the rock itself. If this is the case, then what paleontologists have now is not a soft tissue sample, but a chemical mold of detailed soft tissue structures which were fossilized. A very useful tool for fossil analysis, but not soft tissue.

We'll have to wait and see. At this point I'm just extrapolating from what the articles report.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:34 pm
gungasnake wrote:

Based on what?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:37 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Piffka wrote:

I was wondering this myself. And I think there's a good chance that they will tell us exactly that, and more.

Warm bloodedness is already indicated in fossils which show the bone density and cell structure, and I've been convinced for years that some (if not all) dinosaurs were warm blooded. The more we learn about their behavior and the more we learn about their relationship to birds, the more hot blooded dinosaurs (theropod dinosaurs) appear to be.

Cool. The theory makes sense to me.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 01:15 pm
The USGS poop onRadioactive Dating

Rap
0 Replies