Wake up - Dihydrogen Monoxide is Being Sprayed on Organic Crops

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 05:32 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The dihydrogen monoxide parody involves calling water by the unfamiliar chemical name "dihydrogen monoxide" (DHMO), or "hydroxyl acid" in some cases, and listing some of water's effects in a particularly alarming manner, such as accelerating corrosion and causing suffocation.

Initially, I was wondering if Lash's post was just really bad sarcasm/broken attempt at a joke or sincerely stupid in misunderstanding the actual chemical formula of water is. You're probably right. Her post probably is a mean spirited and misplaced attack on this thread. The state of science illiteracy in the US is a freaking bummer for sure.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 08:44 am
Mean spirited? For posting a protest of what she thought was dissing a serious matter, such as sabotaging our food chain?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 08:51 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Mean spirited? For posting a protest of what she thought was dissing a serious matter, such as sabotaging our food chain?

#shrugs
If one passed middle school science? They should know better.
najmelliw

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 06:32 am
@tsarstepan,
Not sure if this us an urban legend or not, but apparently some sort of middle schooler I believe made a science project for a science fair I believe they are called? Anyway, the sort of thing that parents visit to look at all of the students creations.

Anyways, said student had made a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide from America, and he made a list with some of those same 'properties' listed, such as it being a major component of acid rain and the like.

According to the tale, many people actually signed the petition.

As for the level of schooling of the average american, while I'm usually rather taken aback by it, this time, I sorta feel the need to defend it: the specific bit you are referring to is to translate the spoken name of a chemical substance to a chemical formula, and then being able to convert that in your head to the appropriate substance.

If you've been out of highschool for a bunch of years, and you never had much interest in that sort of thing anyway(and how many people really do?), then I can understand forgetting it. It's not actually a necessity to know that H2O means water in today's society: most people call water water, after all.

0 Replies