Tot Takes Crack 'Treats' To School

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 01:00 pm
CHICAGO HEIGHTS, Ill., March 22, 2005

Police say someone had apparently used the boy's book bag as a hiding place for the crack.

(AP) Authorities in Illinois are searching for the mother of a first-grader who brought 40 bags of crack cocaine to school.

Officials say the boy thought the drugs were candy, and began passing them out to his classmates in Chicago Heights Friday.

Police say the boy won't be charged with a crime, but his mother and other relatives could face narcotics and child endangerment charges.

Child welfare authorities have placed the boy in a relative's home.

Police say the boy apparently lived in a household where drug dealing was going on, and someone had apparently used his book bag as a hiding place for the crack.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 860 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 01:03 pm
Shocked

Only in America....

How would that have ended up if someone hadn't stopped the children before eating the "candy"?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 01:06 pm
I know...it was a good that thing someone was paying attention. Just eating a little bit could have possibly killed a child.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 01:15 pm
I still wonder if any kids actually DID eat it.. and because it tasted bad, is why attention was brought to it?
Think about it, kids have candy all the time. It tastes good and parents, teachers in this case, dont always know.
I think someone DID taste it and it caused them to make a fuss about how bad it was, the teacher noticed and that is how it was found?
Im just specualting.. but I dont think that scenerio is too far off....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:02 pm
I agree shewolfnm. I can just picture it among my daughter and her friends.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:21 pm
You may be right shewolfnm...I sure would like to hear all the details of this story.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:39 pm
I saw a clip on this story last night on the news.
The parents of the children involved ( the ones who were given it as candy ) were NOT told.
This happened on a friday....that following MONDAY only SOME parents were informed of POSSIBLE drug activity...
WTF?
I would have been outraged. BUT- on the other side of the coin,
If the police needed to catch the parents that put the drugs in the childs bag in the first place I can see why they kept it quiet. This was a small close nit neighborhood. There is no way in the world they could have kept the case quiet for a SECOND..
But I still wonder why no parents were told the absolute truth even on the following monday?
It cant be that hard to catch the drug dealers.. DUH.. thier kid is the one with the dugs in his bag! COME ON!
I have also not heard if any of the kids went to see a doc after this incident either? Even if the child told me , as a teacher/principle/counselor etc.. that they DID not eat it, I would have called a doc. They could have easily been too scared to admit it.
Right?!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:08 pm
Of course. I was shocked the first time I heard my daughter lie. But it is really common in young children when they are trying to save their butt.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:14 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
It cant be that hard to catch the drug dealers.. DUH.. thier kid is the one with the dugs in his bag! COME ON!

Or anyone else in the "household where drug dealing was going on", depending how many people were coming in & out (drug-houses, lotta people come in & out, all kinds)
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:29 pm
Here's another article from the Chicago Sun Times
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 08:03 pm
Get this...the other day at work, a man pointed out to me a needle on the parking lot, told me it was drawn and loaded. HUH??? WE gather up the needle and call one of the deputies to pick it up..it was found to be loaded w/ meth after being tested.

IN Shewolf's words..WTF?? How do you loose one? And secondly, what if some lil kid had gotten out of the car on that side and picked it up and pricked themselves with it????

Damn CrackHEADS........I swear!
0 Replies