best country to study in europe..erasmus!

skuamb

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:08 pm
Howdy,

I'm in the 2nd year of "Comunication and Design Multimedia" and I'm really interested in doing the Erasmus programme for the next year. For those that don't know about Erasmus, it is a student exchange programme around Europe for higher education (university, etc).

My university has some agreements, not many, and what I'd like from you is information! If you live in the same country as any of the following universities, or you know about it, whats your opinion about them? Did you study there? Which one do you think is the best?

Here are my options:

- Pirkanmaa Polytechnic - www.piramk.fi @ Finland
- Faculdad de Ciências de la Information - www.upsa.es @ Spain (Salamanca)
- Facultat de Ciencies de la Comunicacion - www.uab.es @ Spain (Barcelona)
- School of Information and Comunication in Gruningen - www.schic.nl @ Holland
- Warsaw University - www.uw.edu.pl/ @ Poland
- Cumbria College of Art and Design - www.cumbria.ac.uk @ UK
- Universite de Nice-Sophia Antipolis - www.unice.fr @ France
- Technikum Joanneum Gmbh - www.fh-joanneum.at @ Austria
- Banku Augstskola - www.lba.lv @ Lethonia
- Istanbul Bilgi Universitesi - www.bilgi.edu.tr @ Turkey
- Katholieke Hogeschool Kempen - www.khk.be @ Belgium

The only university I knew before getting interested in this programme, was Cumbria College, and many people already told me this is a good one. The problem is $. I think the life there is too expensive. I don't know about the rest of the countries tho..

Looking at that list, the only country I've visited is Spain, and that stays too close to where I'm living right now (Portugal). And what I want is to get far away from Portugal, just go out there for one year and study/party/have fun. The weather is something to consider too, sun is good, cold/rain is bad!

Of course that studying is not the only thing I'm worried about. Partying too! Actually, the erasmus site I posted has a nice paragraph that explains why I want to do this..

Have you ever wished to live and study abroad? Have you ever wanted to get to know a different culture, study at a foreign university, meet new friends, learn another language, all at the same time?

That says it all!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,468 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:12 pm
Not knowing much about erasmus or communication and design, I would pick Spain as my first choice. My forte is world travel.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:43 am
I've noticed that the majority of those universities, aren't universities in the old tradtion but "Universities of Applied Sciences" (Polytechnic, Hogeschool, Technikum, Fachhochschule, College etc).

You should assure, what degrees they can give - mostly only a BA, as far as I know.

Life in Europe generally seems to be more expensive than in the USA. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:44 am
Yes, the currency exchange rate is "killing" us!
0 Replies

skuamb

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:27 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I've noticed that the majority of those universities, aren't universities in the old tradtion but "Universities of Applied Sciences" (Polytechnic, Hogeschool, Technikum, Fachhochschule, College etc).

You should assure, what degrees they can give - mostly only a BA, as far as I know.

Life in Europe generally seems to be more expensive than in the USA. :wink:

Yes I know the majority are Polytechnics and so on. My university has an agreement with the "schools" I posted and they take care of what am I going to study, as in, they make my "Studying Project". Thanks for worrying tho Smile

Maybe life is just better in Europe then in USA :wink:

Thanks for the other replies.
0 Replies

Edwin

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:59 am
I study at the university of Groningen and also live there. I don't know much about the School of Information and Comunication in Gruningen, but I can assure you that living in Groningen is a time well spent!

If you want to know anything about the city, contact me.
0 Replies

skuamb

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 01:20 pm
Thanks for the info Edwin, but how can I contact you? You didn't leave contact info Sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 01:23 pm
And he just posted that single response here.

(Nevertheless: Groningen isn't bad at all, true.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:43 pm
Nice sounds 'nice' to me, personally but I have no idea whether living there would be more or less expensive than any of the other university sites.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:52 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Nice sounds 'nice' to me, personally but I have no idea whether living there would be more or less expensive than any of the other university sites.

Neither do I but as

Edwin said:
Quote:
I can assure you that living in Groningen is a time well spent!
:wink:
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 01:45 pm
I always wanted to study in England, Austria or Switzerland. Maybe Sweden but less likely.
Has anyone studied in any of these countries?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 09:54 pm
I study in England, Malta, Holland, Germany, Antarctica, Argentina, Vietnam, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Portugal, Barbados, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania, Japan, China, Russia, you get the idea. The only difference is the fact that it's not 'formal' studies. It's like an on-site study of the people, history, culture, food and drinks, architecture, and museums. I was never that good in school, so this suits me just fine.
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 04:26 pm
Nice is very "nice" indeed! (Sea and sun + mountain... just great! Cool )
However, you should take care, as French universities have the reputation to 1) offer a great "freedom" to their students, but 2) be very difficult. So be carefull!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 11:18 pm
This great freedom is similar to most other universities in Europe - indeed, a bit less to some in my experience :wink:
0 Replies

karanae84

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:49 am
I just spent a full year as an Erasmus student in Germany, and I can tell you that wherever you go, it will be probably be a successful experience.
As far as choosing a place to go, are you able to speak Spanish, French, German, or any other language besides English? If you can speak the language of the country you go to, you are more likely to be able to do more while you are there (internships, etc...), especially since you are interested in communications. Enjoy your experience!
0 Replies