Christians judge god as good. Gnostic Christians judge god as evil. Which religion is correct?

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 01:32 pm
@izzythepush,
I thought I explained what unified them - “various versions of god and Satan reversing roles”. That is the basis on which I addressed them collectively.

I have met Gnostics who mixed in every sort of belief. We are ancient beings from other galaxies, we are angels who wanted to try out being human, reincarnation, our saviors will arrive in spacecraft measuring miles across, etc...
izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 02:04 pm
@Leadfoot,
So you've met a load of weird people who call themselves all sorts. So what? The same can be said of mainstream Christians, snake handlers and all sorts of weird ****.

I saw the little Torquemada in you jump right to the surface. I get the impression you're less interested in the idea of eternal bliss and more concerned with the sheep and goats, chucking those of us who don't conform into your lake of eternal fire.

Your version of Christianity doesn't seem to have much to do with peace and love at all.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 04:27 pm
@izzythepush,
Oh piss off
livinglava

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 05:09 pm
@KingReef,
KingReef wrote:

Quote:
KingReef wrote:
There are places where I think relativism is true, in that knowledge, truth, and morality exist in relation to culture, society, and /or historical context, and are not absolute.

livinglava wrote:
I think the view you express here is slightly off-base because of the following: culture is a product of intersubjective interactions that generate and reify perpectival opinion. However, that doesn't make culture true/valid relative to the people who create, reify, and apply it. It merely means that culture is always in a necessarily incomplete state of progress toward perfection, which can never ultimately be achieved.

So it's better to regard culture as an attempt to achieve whatever its human creators/practitioners are seeking or doing with it, and avoid regarding it as true/valid relative to the people/identity associated with it.

I'm not so sure about that last part. I suppose in a perfect world society would be guided by those who only intended to do something good with it. I know you weren't talking about that specifically, but my point is that society is just what it is, some try to achieve things, some are immune to it. Some are able to phase society unintentionally. I don't see society acting as a combined populated resource for the good for the collective.

So I don't see culture "as an attempt to achieve whatever its human creators/practitioners are seeking or doing with it." Perhaps you aren't in California, or anywhere I live or have lived. Or maybe our perspectives are true, but not coming from the same angle concerning our idiosyncratic perspective. I tend to resist Utopian points of views, I tend to be resistant to that philosophy. I also typically think of Relativism under another definition, it's what I'm used to. Relativism in this case being the tendency to discount the experience and education of an individual, making it equal to the opinion of those who have had less. By the way, what complicates that anti-Relativist perspective is that the educated sometimes are simply plain wrong, like scientists or philosophers with a political agenda.

I was using a lot of words to explain something more basic than what you are now referring to. All I was saying is that some people view culture as relative because they view truth relative to a group that forges it. So, for example, they would say that French and German ideals are different but that each culture's ideals are valid relative to that culture. What I'm saying is that, no, you shouldn't assume that anything cultural is valid relative to the people who generate the culture and/or subscribe to it.

All culture falls short of perfection because it is a product of human creation and humans are imperfect. We progress in the direction of perfection when we are headed in the right direction, but we are necessarily doomed to always fall short because of the nature of reality being fundamentally imperfect. So, for that same reason, no collective human culture can be perfect, and if you define it as such by saying it is perfect relative to the people for whom it works, then you are denying the possibility of progress beyond the necessarily imperfect status quo.

KingReef

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2018 10:03 pm
@livinglava,
Yeah, I find that Man uses the term "perfect" in a way that cheapens perfection, often. I think we mean "better than expected" or "better than the others".
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 01:16 am
@Leadfoot,
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 02:55 pm
@KingReef,
KingReef wrote:

Yeah, I find that Man uses the term "perfect" in a way that cheapens perfection, often. I think we mean "better than expected" or "better than the others".

Perfect means what it means. It doesn't exist in reality, but it is possible to always progress beyond the current state of imperfection. Still, sometimes 'good enough' is better than the alternative that would result from changing the status quo. It all just depends on the situation and every situation is different; not that people don't and won't lie and claim the status is good enough just for the sake of protecting interests that would be better off changing.
KingReef

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2018 05:23 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
KingReef wrote:

Perfect means what it means. It doesn't exist in reality, but it is possible to always progress beyond the current state of imperfection. Still, sometimes 'good enough' is better than the alternative that would result from changing the status quo. It all just depends on the situation and every situation is different; not that people don't and won't lie and claim the status is good enough just for the sake of protecting interests that would be better off changing.

What I don't want to do is argue semantics. Maybe I'm looking at it like what I complained about; that Man tends to misuse the term "perfect". But I mean almost always, because the one thing I can say is perfect is the way God performed with Christ and the work of Christ, it is the only perfect thing I can think of that Man could see. If not by actually being there at the time, then on the pages of most Bibles. Jesus did perfect things perfectly. He was so right on, yet kept those who aren't supposed to catch on, he kept them from catching on.
livinglava

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2018 02:23 pm
@KingReef,
KingReef wrote:

livinglava wrote:
KingReef wrote:

What I don't want to do is argue semantics. Maybe I'm looking at it like what I complained about; that Man tends to misuse the term "perfect". But I mean almost always, because the one thing I can say is perfect is the way God performed with Christ and the work of Christ, it is the only perfect thing I can think of that Man could see. If not by actually being there at the time, then on the pages of most Bibles. Jesus did perfect things perfectly. He was so right on, yet kept those who aren't supposed to catch on, he kept them from catching on.

What do you call it except 'semantics,' when you suggested changing the meaning of 'perfect,' to 'better than expected?' You are trying to infuse pragmatism into Christianity and theology, but that doesn't work. God is perfect. Ideals are perfect. We are human and thus inherently imperfect and sinful. Christianity gives us the ability to get over our pride and accept that we are sinners and require forgiveness to escape the wages of sin. If we start deny our imperfection as sinners by focusing on being 'good enough' or 'better than expected,' we are replacing forgiveness/redemption with pride in doing the best we can. Indeed should do our best, but we shouldn't commit the sin of pride in the process; or rather, when we do, we should acknowledge it is a sin and repent.
KingReef

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2018 07:03 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
What do you call it except 'semantics,' when you suggested changing the meaning of 'perfect,' to 'better than expected?'

I said what I said because I didn't want the conversation to turn into something nitpicky. I wanted to make sure you knew I was aware of the semantic angle to the discussion.

As for perfect, I was referring to absolute perfect, which I doubt exists here on their earth and in the way we see things, and describe some things. That's all. I imagine perfection is something that would cause us to stand amazed were we to see it for real.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2018 04:36 am
@KingReef,
I admire your patience KR.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2018 05:51 am
@KingReef,
KingReef wrote:

Quote:
What do you call it except 'semantics,' when you suggested changing the meaning of 'perfect,' to 'better than expected?'

I said what I said because I didn't want the conversation to turn into something nitpicky. I wanted to make sure you knew I was aware of the semantic angle to the discussion.

As for perfect, I was referring to absolute perfect, which I doubt exists here on their earth and in the way we see things, and describe some things. That's all. I imagine perfection is something that would cause us to stand amazed were we to see it for real.

Perfection exists as an ideal. Seeing it 'for real' implies that material reality is 'real' and ideals are not. In reality, ideals exist at the ideal level and everything at the material level is imperfect. That is why we have to develop a forgiving attitude toward imperfection, i.e. because that is the reality of material existence. On the other hand, we shouldn't give up thinking in terms of ideals and perfection, because that is the direction we are supposed to be oriented toward, i.e. toward God.

We should also strive toward clarifying our awareness of how flawed we sinners are relative to perfection. Because of the sin of pride, we have the tendency to whitewash and rationalize failures and imperfections. We do this because we haven't gotten very good at forgiveness yet. The better we get at forgiving bad, the more clearly we allow ourselves to see it. I have read that St. Paul viewed himself as one of the worst sinners by the time of his death, presumably because he got so good at accepting forgiveness that his clarify of self-evaluation was able to develop very far.

The human tendency is to deny sin in ourselves and our friends and put the spotlight and ridicule on others; but forgiveness allows us to see sin everywhere in contrast to true perfection, which exists nowhere except in ideals revealed to us by higher authority.
KingReef

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2018 07:48 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
The human tendency is to deny sin in ourselves and our friends and put the spotlight and ridicule on others; but forgiveness allows us to see sin everywhere in contrast to true perfection, which exists nowhere except in ideals revealed to us by higher authority.

Years ago I became so aware of that. I began to recognize how difficult it was for a human not to be a hypocrite. And forgiving people was more for the person who forgives than the person who they may have offended, initially. Forgiveness could be seen as a paradox, a selfish act that was also giving. The act took care of the other people, but not before it took care of the forgiver. Forgiveness possibly only took care of the self, but it also was an act of love for another person.

livinglava

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2018 06:49 pm
@KingReef,
KingReef wrote:

Quote:

Years ago I became so aware of that. I began to recognize how difficult it was for a human not to be a hypocrite. And forgiving people was more for the person who forgives than the person who they may have offended, initially. Forgiveness could be seen as a paradox, a selfish act that was also giving. The act took care of the other people, but not before it took care of the forgiver. Forgiveness possibly only took care of the self, but it also was an act of love for another person.

The bottom line is that we're all sinners, so without forgiveness we all deserve nothing better than death. That's why those of us who realize there is no escape into pride devote ourselves to doing God's will, and we have to be prepared to be attacked by all the ridiculers who maintain pride in the idea that we are worse people than they are by attempting to serve God as best we can.
KingReef

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 12:39 am
@livinglava,
Jesus said something like that. If he was ridiculed and attacked, why shouldn't we expect it as well? I agree with you.
livinglava

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 06:20 am
@KingReef,
KingReef wrote:

Jesus said something like that. If he was ridiculed and attacked, why shouldn't we expect it as well? I agree with you.

'Expect it' implies it is not already happening in the present. Christians were pitted against lions in the Roman Colosseum and that same cultural spirit persists in modern times with varying degrees of subtly. It's nature for a hate culture to react against goodness in various forms. All the sins are connected in different ways and they add up to form different configurations of hate and the destruction that corresponds with it.

If people don't cultivate the wherewithal to resist sin in their actions as well as forgiving it in order to move beyond it, they keep dragging themselves and others deeper into it. The good news is that the more we are mired in sin, the more we hope for a better life. A little sin when you're living in a relatively clean situation seems harmless and provides a lot of pleasure and/or power; but as you fall ever deeper down the slippery slope, the pleasure fades and the burning and torture takes over. You can get more and more desensitized and thus fall/delve deeper and deeper, but of course the deeper you go the harder it is to rise back up. Thankfully there is Jesus to love and guide us when we are ready to accept Him.
KingReef

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 08:40 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
'Expect it' implies it is not already happening in the present.

I meant it present tense.
livinglava

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 08:47 am
@KingReef,
KingReef wrote:

Quote:
'Expect it' implies it is not already happening in the present.

I meant it present tense.

You seem to be debating, but you're not being clear? What are you saying, that persecution of Christians is good, past and present? Are you a satanist? Do you hate goodness and love and reconciliation with God?
KingReef

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 10:01 am
@livinglava,
No. I'm not debating.
No. I think I'm being very clear.
No. I'm not saying that persecution is good.
No. I'm not a satanist.
No. I don't hate goodness and love and reconciliation with God.

Why did this turn so bad all the sudden?
livinglava

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2018 12:00 pm
@KingReef,
KingReef wrote:

No. I'm not debating.
No. I think I'm being very clear.
No. I'm not saying that persecution is good.
No. I'm not a satanist.
No. I don't hate goodness and love and reconciliation with God.

Why did this turn so bad all the sudden?

I'm just trying to understand your fairly vague statements.