House of the Rising Sun

plainoldme

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:23 am
For those of you in the Boston area: The Phoenix has a story about a feud between Dylan and Dave Van Ronk (that I knew nothing of until reading this story) over the song, The House of the Rising Sun. According to the late Van Ronk's post-humous autobio, the House was a woman's prison in Orleans Parish.
panzade

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:10 am
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mrisingson.html

According to folklorist Alan Lomax in his book Our Singing Country (1941), the melody of "The House of the Rising Run" is a traditional English ballad and the lyrics were written by Georgia Turner and Bert Martin (both from Kentucky). The song was first recorded in the 1920s by black bluesman Texas Alexander and later covered by Leadbelly, Charlie Byrd, Roy Acuff, Woody Guthrie, the Weavers, Peter, Paul & Mary, Henry Mancini, Dolly Parton, David Allan Coe, John Fahey, Waylon Jennings, Tim Hardin, Buster Poindexter, Marianne Faithful, Tracy Chapman and Bob Dylan . . . just to name a few.

Here from Lomax's book are the traditional lyrics :

There is a house in New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun.
It's been the ruin of many a poor girl,
and me, O God, for one.

If I had listened what Mamma said,
I'd 'a' been at home today.
Being so young and foolish, poor boy,
let a rambler lead me astray.

Go tell my baby sister
never do like I have done
to shun that house in New Orleans
they call the Rising Sun.

My mother she's a tailor;
she sold those new blue jeans.
My sweetheart, he's a drunkard, Lord, Lord,
drinks down in New Orleans.

The only thing a drunkard needs
is a suitcase and a trunk.
The only time he's satisfied
is when he's on a drunk.

Fills his glasses to the brim,
passes them around
only pleasure he gets out of life
is hoboin' from town to town.

One foot is on the platform
and the other one on the train.
I'm going back to New Orleans
to wear that ball and chain.

Going back to New Orleans,
my race is almost run.
Going back to spend the rest of my days
beneath that Rising Sun.

Did the House of the Rising Sun ever really exist? A guidebook called Offbeat New Orleans asserts that the real House of the Rising Sun was at 826-830 St. Louis St. between 1862 and 1874 and was purportedly named for its madam, Marianne LeSoleil Levant, whose surname translates to "The Rising Sun."

But no one knows for certain. When the Animals made the song popular in the 60s, Eric Burdon was overwhelmed by the theories:

"People would come up to me and say, ''You want to know where the real House of the Rising Sun is?' And I'd say, 'I've heard that one before.' Then I started going along for the ride. I'd go to women's prisons, coke dealers' houses, insane asylums, men's prisons, private parties. They just wanted to get me there."

Then, with a laugh, he adds, "They're trying to build up tourism, and here's this Brit singing about a whorehouse."

It's a good thing you came to the Straight Dope, Jo. Ignorance has been the ruin of many a poor girl.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:44 am
carolyn hester did the first recording I ever heard.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:55 am
Wow...did I have a crush on her...I'm off to seek her LP's...don't wait up...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:56 am
How bout Judy Roderick dys...remember her?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 01:29 pm
and Judy Henski
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 02:46 pm
Panzade -- That's really interesting. I was impressed by how many people recorded the song.

I wish I could give you a link to the story that the Boston Phoenix ran but it seems that they didn't put it on the web. I tried to reach it in several ways but failed.

It is called, "The Changing of the Guard," and I tried it under that title and under Dave Van Ronk and Bob Dylan. I didn't try it under book completer Elijah.

According to the excerpt of Van Ronk's book run in the Phoenix, Van Ronk was singing the song and Dylan asked if Dave intended to record it . . . after Dylan recorded Van Ronk's arrangement earlier in the day.

Van Ronk stopped singing it after Dylan recorded it and Dylan stopped after Eric Burdon made his recording.

It's interesting that Van Ronk says The House in question was a prison because the lyrics include a reference to wearing a ball and chain.
0 Replies

Glenda5257

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 09:19 am
@bobsmythhawk,
I was Born and Raised in Kentucky and this song was sung all the time , the Real Story behind this song is this > The House of the Rising Sun was a Men's Prison.
The Death Row inmates cells faced the East where the "Rising Sun" would come in their Cell windows. Hence the Name > House of the Rising Sun.
Many of these Death Row Inmates lead some very tragic lives. Which leads to all of the other verses.
Glenda5257

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 09:25 am
@Glenda5257,
I forgot to add this . This man was sent to Prison for Killing his Gambler / Drunk father for walking out on his Mother and little sister.

The Verse that says > I've got One foot on the Platform the other foot on the Train is incorrect.

It should have said > I've got both feet on the Platform , My Neck is in the Noose , I'm dropping thru the Gallows Floor , Dear God there's No excuse.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 10:40 am
by far the best (my opinion) version of Risin' Sun Blues was by Dave Van Ronk, this was the version that Dylan used in his recording never giging credit to Dave Van Ronk.
0 Replies

Glenda5257

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:47 am
@plainoldme,
That's what I grew up with , the song was about a young man sent to prison and yes he wears a ball and chain , he killed his Gambler father for walking out on his Mother and baby sister and himself. To support them she took on the job of a Tailor. And the verse about" One foot on the plat form and the other on the train" is wrong ! it is suppose to say > I have Both feet on the platform , My neck is in the noose , I'm dropping thru the Gallows floor , dear god there's no excuse.

My cousins , had a Blue Grass Band back in Kentucky in the late 60's Mid late 70's and they sand this song all the time. With the real words to it.

The words to this song have been changed thousands of times.
But if you read between the lines , specially about > To wear that ball and chain , that should be an indication right there.
And Yes the House was a Man's Prison. The Death Row Cells faced east toward the morning rising sun. Hence the name > House of the Rising Sun.

It's a beautifuull song. The Animals did a pretty nice version of it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 08:00 am
Quote:

"I was fascinated with prostitution," Burdon recalled last week in an interview from his home in Joshua Tree, Calif. "I thought it was incredible that women could have power over men to make them loose up their hard-earned money in exchange for sex."

I don't know why this made me chuckle... I have a similar sentiment toward manicurists.
panzade

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 03:11 pm
@ebrown p,
Yeah, I know what you mean
0 Replies