There's a place which is forever the Beatles

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:17 am
Quote:
There's a place which is forever the Beatles

Abbey Road throws open its doors to the public

Alexis Petridis
Saturday March 19, 2005
The Guardian

As cathedrals of dreams go, Abbey Road's Studio Two is unprepossessing. It has something of the air of an old school gymnasium: battered parquet floors, whitewashed brick walls, a ceiling with elaborate mouldings that could do with a lick of paint.
According to the studio manager, Dave Holly: "It's functional and unchanged since about 1960, because people who use it want the heritage as well as the sound."

Stripped of any instruments or recording equipment, the only hints of its glamorous function are some theatrical spotlights, apparently installed in the mid-60s at the Beatles' behest.

It suggests that Studio Two was no more alluring when musical history was being made within its north London walls than it is today, open to the public for the first time, serving as a makeshift gallery for a photographic exhibition.

But it is still hard not to feel overawed. This was the room in which that first, clanging chord of A Hard Day's Night echoed around, where the whine of feedback at the start of I Feel Fine was accidentally discovered, the room from which John Lennon was led away by Paul McCartney after mixing up his supply of pills and accidentally taking LSD while recording Sergeant Pepper's Getting Better.

Dave Holly is full of tales of American record company executives kissing the studio floor and bursting into tears while being shown round. Not even rock superstars are immune. The exhibition brochure contains a poem by Roger Waters in which the erstwhile leader of Pink Floyd hymns the "asdic ping" of pianos past and "dancing motes that never fade away".

The exhibition forms part of the Abbey Road Film Festival, a fortnight-long attempt to draw attention to the studio's "pre-eminence as the world's greatest centre for film scoring". Films are being shown in the larger Studio One, and accordingly, the Studio Two exhibition makes a brave attempt to play down the Beatles' role.

They recorded virtually everything they released here, but there are only two photographs of them, plus a rare post-Beatles shot of Paul McCartney with a loaded tray from the studio canteen.

The first Beatles photo dates from around 1963. They are in shirts and ties, listening intently to their producer, George Martin: these were clearly still the days when he told them what to do. By the time of the second photo, the opposite istrue. Lennon and Ringo Starr stand in their Sergeant Pepper regalia, surrounded by impossibly beautiful-looking young women and men.

The rest of the exhibition is given over to Studio Two's other denizens. Pink Floyd are pictured listening to a playback in the control room, wearing expressions that strongly suggest their motes are failing to dance and their pings are insufficiently asdic.

But most of the subjects emphasise Abbey Road's pre-pop history - Glen Miller recorded his last studio session here - and its links with the cinema: Dirk Bogarde, Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire, Bette Davis and, perhaps slightly less exotically, Gracie Fields, who apparently turned up to recording sessions dressed in a manner that would be considered too formal for dinner at Buckingham Palace.

Dudley Moore plays the piano, while just out of focus, the rest of the Beyond the Fringe team look on from the control room stairs.

You take the exhibition's point, but it has set itself a hopeless task. Nobody kisses the floor or bursts into tears because Harry H Corbett and Frankie Howerd recorded a version of Alice in Wonderland here. Nobody who wanders through Studio Two's doors in the next fortnight is in search of a sense memory of Matt Monroe's hair oil or Sophia Loren's perfume.

Almost 36 years after they last convened here, The Beatles still seem to own the studio. Every scrawled message on the wall outside relates to the Fab Four, apart from a game effort to assert McFly's superiority to Lennon and McCartney, a couple of mentions of Pink Floyd, and a Japanese tourist's attempt to draw attention to his own band - which seems to be called PLINCIPAL.

The studio was not even called Abbey Road before the album of the same name was released: for the first 68 years it was simply EMI Studios.

"I've spoken to about seven film crews this morning," says Dave Holly. "We seem to get on to the Beatles pretty quickly."

And yet, it's easier to picture the early Beatles here than the makers of Sergeant Pepper. It is difficult to imagine Strawberry Fields Forever or To morrow Never Knows emanating from such ascetic surroundings.

Perhaps it would seem different if it was late at night, and the lights were low and the air was thick with incense and marijuana smoke.

What you can imagine is the sort of scene depicted in the exhibition's first Beatles' photograph: the four of them in shirts and ties, listening intently and respectfully to their producer, before he bounds up the staircase to the control room and they dutifully launch into another ver sion of Money or All My Loving or It Won't Be Long.

· Alexis Petridis is the Guardian's pop and rock critic.

· The Abbey Road Film Festival runs from today until April 3. Admission to screenings are £15 and £20
. Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,613 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:29 am
http://www.craigr.com/images/London%20Abbey%20Road%20Sign.jpg

http://www.cottageviews.com/album%20covers/Beatles%20-%20Abbey%20Road.jpg

Related links:

London: Abbey Road & EMI Studios

Abbey Road Studios: Why the Tourist Crossed the Road

"The Beatles: Abbey Road"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:46 am
Beatles forever . . .
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 08:06 am
I still love to listen to their records.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 08:21 am
You and me both, colorbook. For as long as I can remember some of their music has always been in my life. Thank you Walter for sharing this with us. Sure brings a lot of really good songs back into my head. Smile
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 08:01 pm
when i saw the beatles on sullivan the first time, everything else went out the window and i started playing guitar and played my first paying gig at 13. best thing that ever happened to me.

but the abbey road sign is looking a lot like the cover of "beggars banquet" by the stones...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 08:32 pm
I didn't pay them any mind even though one of my favorites aunts seemed swept away, they seemed to me to be just another dance band.
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.... I was singing blues and union organizing songs, anti-war and fables from two hundred years before so was not impressed It's a Hard Day's Night, neither the music nor the movie. Hey, I was 15.

Then, at the best possible moment, just when I needed something to assist me in seducing every female in Boston, they released Rubber Souland Revolver(I'm having In my Life sung at my funeral. and anyone who hears the words of For no one and doesn't break down and cry must never have heard any poetry in their lives.
By the time I got to Monterey the Magical Mystery Tour was coming to take us away, take us away.

Joe(I have to shut the radio off ten times a day)Nation
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 09:41 pm
[quote="Joe Nation"
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.... I was singing blues and union organizing songs, anti-war and fables from two hundred years before [/quote]

aw. so you was a serious young fella, eh joe ? Laughing

i liked all of the early beatles stuff, but yeah, things really started to get interesting with rubber soul. i still remember seeing the short film for "paperback writer" on that show, Where the Action is. the guitars sounded unlike anything i'd ever heard before.

but it was the yardbirds that got me into blues and the airplane that made me start noticing politics. "up against the wall..." :wink:
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:19 pm
The Beatles. Yes.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:25 pm
I stopped listening to popular music when the Beatles disbanded. That's why you don't see me on the Music&Lyrics threads. Don't know nuthin' about today's pop music scene. Strictly jazz and classical now. But, oh man, those mop-heads from Liverpool were something else. Pure inspiration. The Stones couldn't hold a candle to them. And "A Hard Day's Night", the movie, blew me away. I thought it was a comedic film noir classic. "Help" was good but a little too hokey for my tastes.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:24 pm
Talent at their level comes along once or twice in a generation. "Meet the Beatles" (in Europse I believe it was "With the Beatles") is still one of my favorite albums.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 09:22 pm
I hated the Beatles at first. I was into the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean...car songs and surfing..Besides all the girlies were swooning. I was a guy.
But then I came to realize their brilliance. I have outtakes from Abbey Road that make me go, huh?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 06:50 am
I don't know if I could listen to any outtakes. First, it would remind me that they were not gods, and I hold dearly to that belief and, second, wait a second, there is no second.

Joe(It'd be like seeing a da Vinci drawing where Mona's frowning)Nation
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 07:01 am
I really loved the Beatles' music, but there's this thing about knowing EVERY note, every effect, every drum note, every guitar riff ..... it's very difficult to hear their music with fresh ears. I feel the same about a lot of Dylan's music. I don't play much of either now. I guess I don't need too. I have permanent implants! Very Happy
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:02 am
Joe, msolga...both your posts made my point. When we hear the first chiming chord of A Hard Day's Night , in our minds we know every note that is to follow.
The studio outtakes are fascinating in that one can hear how the songs were constructed...fascinating for me anyways.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:15 am
There really is a magic about the Beatles. Their music to me has always been larger than life. I ignored them when I was in my teens because I was suspicious of the hype. Then I went through a phase where I couldn't listen to anything else for a couple of years. I almost put down my guitar for good at that point.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:10 pm
panzade wrote:
Joe, msolga...both your posts made my point. When we hear the first chiming chord of A Hard Day's Night , in our minds we know every note that is to follow.
The studio outtakes are fascinating in that one can hear how the songs were constructed...fascinating for me anyways.

pan! you should check out this site. very interesting things done with remixing beatles albums. done by an ultimate beatles fan that's really quite meticulous about audio.

two of us productions

you can find some of the oopsology stuff on limewire and such
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:22 pm
The movie Hard Day's Night really hit me, I was thrilled. I had not seen anything like it in terms of story speed up to that time.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:29 pm
You guys would appreciate this.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 05:54 am
My two elder brothers and me went to see the beatles at the cavern club it was an experience you dont forget, although if you take away the historic value it wasn't all that memorable, they really weren't that good.

I'm pleased to have been afforded the opportunity though to see a piece of history being made.
0 Replies