My Cat is a psycho

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:36 pm
My Cat Twister is very psychotic, even more than regular cats. He won't let me or anybody I know get close to him to pick him up. If you do get close to him he'll run away. What should I do?
Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,785 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:27 pm
How old is your cat?

Did you adopt him?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:40 pm
How long have you had the cat? Are there any other pets in the household? Any young children? How old was the cat when you got it? Do you know it's history?

I have had a cat for 16 years that my wife rescued while at a country fruit stand. We figured she was about 5 months old at the time. The cat, not my wife!

She has been standoffish the entire time. She took a liking to me and would let me pet her, feed her etc. etc. But, I COULD NOT pick her up without her trying to claw my heart out.

It takes patience, but your cat can be brought around. :-
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:10 am
I have 2 cats that just don't like to be picked up. They will, however, snuggle in my lap and purr like mad, as long as THEY make the decision to jump up.

One of the reasons I chose BorisKitten is because he LOVES to be picked up & carried around.
0 Replies

deroscoe12090

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 01:03 pm
I've had the cat for about a year know and I got him 6 months after he was born. In fact I got him with his brother, and I actually mean brother. They were born from the same litter and Twister's brother, Turtle, is nothing like him. Turtle is so subdued. Their history has pretty much been with their mother and siblings in the place where I got him.
Sad hmmmmm
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:30 pm
Leave him be, don't try to change him. Cats are sort of like husbands, they want to be free and easy.

I have a male cat 3 years old, he hates to be picked up and will only let me pet him. He drives me nuts in that he yaks at me to sit with him while he eats, then I can pet him. But as far as being a lap cat, he is not.

I accept his traits and love him anyway.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:55 pm
Does Twister play normally with Turtle? Does Turtle display and particular cat traits like having his tail straight up when he approaches you? Does he flick his tail? Does he rub against you etc?

Is he just standoffish, or is he aggressive in any way?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:14 pm
Re: My Cat is a psycho
Your cat must be Siamese. My cat is part Siamese, she can be the most lovable thing one minute, starving affection and follow me everywhere, then for no reason at all she'll get really pissed off and want nothing to do with me. That probably has more to do with being female than Siamese... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:12 am
I have the same problem, I've had her for about 18 months, got her as a teenage cat from the local animal shelter. She won't let me pick her up but decides it would be good to get up in my lap when I'm keyboarding. No matter, I've had cats since I was a kid and they're all different.
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:59 am
that's the thing about cats that I love - they are alll soooooooo different and you never know what kind of cat you'll get
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:01 am
thats the difference between dogs and cats. Dogs wait for you to tell them what to do and cats, well, they just do whatever they want to do.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:36 pm
I know Misti's cat, he IS strange, but very cool.
Our tomcat is also strange, but I think he's just deranged AND a psycho... we still love the f*cker tho!

And his sister... can't forget her, she might get as screwed up as her bro....
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:41 pm
dancingnancy wrote:
that's the thing about cats that I love - they are alll soooooooo different and you never know what kind of cat you'll get

Yup, they're kinda like a box of chocolates Laughing
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:09 pm
Intrepid wrote:
dancingnancy wrote:

Yup, they're kinda like a box of chocolates Laughing

bwwwwwwwahahaha! so true, so true!

speaking of cats, my cat is sooo sad because he got his annual distemper shot yesterday and is all grumpy and in pain. I feel so bad for him! he looks so meek, yet pissed off Confused
0 Replies

Can of Ham

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:42 pm
deroscoe12090 wrote:
My Cat Twister is very psychotic:?

You should try luring him into games with toys such as peacock feathers or balls on strings. As he is playing you should try to play rough with him *Disclaimer: don't puch, kick, or smother* He may lighten up with that type of interaction. They interact that way with each other. He may start to relate better. And just don't get hurt in the process.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:03 am
droscoe12090,

Are your cats neutered, or has Twister had any medical procedure requiring anesthesia? A commonly used anesthetic, Ketamine, causes psychotic episodes in 50% of all cats receiving it. The "episode" may last for years.

I inherited two cats from my cousin. One of them, Daffodil, had Ketamine induced psychotic behavior for over 8years. He finally recovered and became a good natured companion.

If you can ask any of the vets who may have anesthetized Twister if they used Ketamine or Ketamine based anesthetics, you may have a reason for his behavior.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:51 am
deroscoe12090 wrote:
My Cat Twister is very psychotic, even more than regular cats. He won't let me or anybody I know get close to him to pick him up. If you do get close to him he'll run away. What should I do?
Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

He's not psycho, he just has his own personallity. Some cats like to be picked up and some don't. I got my cat as a 2 month old kitten last year and even though she started off liking to be held, she's not crazy about it now. I can only hold her for a minute before she wants down and she is very attached to me. She also doesn't like strangers and tends to hide upstairs when we have company. She hissed at my aunt the other day when my aunt approached her too quickly and that surprised me because she's such a sweet cat.
I wouldn't worry about your cat and I wouldn't try to change who he is.

Don't worry, be happy ;-)
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 03:27 pm
Have you looked into the Ketamine anesthetic use question? Your cat's behavior sounds quite like Daffodil.
0 Replies