I wanna be a broadway singer but my parents won't support me.

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2018 02:22 am
According to my grandmother, when I was three years old, I started singing broadway songs which I’ve always heard and seen on TV. She was the one who took care of me while my parents were away for work. She’s a good singer too and she loves broadway as much as I love it. When I was seven, we used to sing disney and broadway songs together. Because of her, I wanted to pursue my dream of becoming a broadway singer.

While I was growing up, my grandma loved to audition me on singing contests and all throughout, she was there to support me. When I turned seventeen, she died in a natural death. Despite that, I didn’t give up on our broadway dream. But my parents didn’t want it for me because they think it won’t do me any good. They just want me to focus more on realistic stuff, like working at a foreign company in town. It saddened me so much that they think that way. Is dreaming to experience a broadway singing not realistic at all?

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2018 03:19 am
@singingislife28,
Our Grandparents.

Bless, they just want us to be who ever we want to be in life, no expectations, no push, no judgement.

Our parents (some) want us to be receptionists, Dr's someone, never anything to do with chances, because they really never had the chance to take any and well, there can be no income involved and what if you fail?

Fear.

Go for it, if you dream a dream, that dream can happen, remember you may fall and then start again, my suggestion as an ex singer, model, that well they wanted that "couch" think about that too, is to have a part time job, mine was in restaurants, you can always work in those and make money, and follow that dream.

They just have fear what if. Grandma doesn't she believes.

Lastly BELIEVE and never give up, if you fall get yourself up again and keep going only the strong make it.

Good luck from an ex singer x
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2018 06:04 am
Bless your grandma for instilling a love of music.

Some questions:
Have you taken lessons?

Have you participated in local musicals?

Ever perform in public - even local karaoke or community chorus?

Anyone tell you that you have an extraordinary voice? Because that what would be required for professional theater. Also, versatility.

This may be a “love” you have, but not necessarily a career for you.

I know a ton of older adults who play music and/or sing for fun. They also had other careers. Do you play an instrument?

Please share your love of Broadway with others, no matter what.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2018 08:02 am
@singingislife28,
Are you eighteen or older? Do you make your own money?

Then you can spend it however you please.

Spend it on voice lessons. Find out from a professional if you really have talent and what it takes. Consider acting lessons as well, and even dance. Broadway and off-Broadway will mean musicals and that means the whole package. You can't just stand and sing.

Note: the professional music business is a killer. It is very hard to be extremely good and successful at it. Same thing with pro acting. But you can have a decent fun career with what is essentially year-'round summer stock and even dinner theater. Getting stuff on your resume is a good thing. Practicing is also a good thing.

Three people I went to high school with went into acting professionally. I can't remember what Kevin does, but Zoey is a software engineer and Tom is a court officer. That is, when they're not acting. So understand that a lot of people may be great and working hard and love what they do and get good reviews, but they still need to have day jobs.

So while you're getting voice lessons, etc., spend some time at least in a junior college and get at least an associate's degree, so you can put food on your table in between gigs.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2018 08:32 am
@singingislife28,
What jespah said -- have some sort of profession where you can keep yourself fed, clothed and housed, while pursuing a music career.

Your parents are probably worried you will work your butt off trying to get on broadway and end up living on the streets because of the tough competition.

I have no reference as to your talent - like others mention here - has anyone else noticed your talent? Have you performed anywhere else? If you really have talent I'd imagine you have been at least in school plays. Have you looked at colleges or other schools that have music as a major?

You state this:

Quote:
While I was growing up, my grandma loved to audition me on singing contests and all throughout..

What were the results of these auditions and singing contests? If you came in dead last at each of these, then that should be an indication you are unlikely to be successful on Broadway. If you did well frequently then that should be indication you have some talent.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2018 12:01 pm
@singingislife28,
singingislife28 wrote:
Because of her, I wanted to pursue my dream of becoming a broadway singer.

so do it

it's a hard slog but if you want it, get to it

if you're past 10 or 12, it's a bit late but there's no harm in trying

__

get a job and pay for classes and an agent
try out for every part in every show around you
don't waste time

a friend's daughter hopes to perform on Broadway in a big legit show as her mother did (before she became a pilot and then JAG) . She's been semi-pro since she was about 8 - performing for $ in community shows and showcases. She's had agents since she was 10 and has appeared in some children's equity showcases in New York. Pretty much all of her volunteer work has involved singing/dancing/performing. She puts on mini-showcases in retirement homes all over her home state. She's in university working on her degree and hustling to get auditions for Broadway shows. She gets encouragement from some of her family, but she does this because it is what she wants.
0 Replies