Why does my kids' dog like underwear?

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 08:23 am
My kids' pup has an uncanny ability to find just my underwear in the laundry. That and dryer sheets.

After washing and drying our clothes, I typically carry out the clean laundry basket to fold. I will get up and/or look away and the little bugger will run to the laundry and either take our a dryer sheet or my underwear and run away with it. Resulting in me chasing the fiend and wrestle it away from him.

I can understand the dryer sheet maybe because of the smell, but how come he just takes my underwear -- never socks, or else's underwear or other small items. It is either the dryer sheet or my underwear - and how does he know it is mine - everything has been washed and dried?

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 08:26 am
@Linkat,
You're asking this ... when you already know the answer. Dogs have a keen sense of smell. The dog recognizes your smell. Possibly thinks you're the alpha dog in the family and finds comfort in having your scent near him/her. Don't read too much humanized motivation wise into it. Take it at face value.
engineer

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 08:30 am
@tsarstepan,
Either that or the texture. Socks might be too thick, wash clothes too rough, etc. If you want to experiment, next time you buy some new underwear, throw them in before wearing them. If the scent is driving it, he will leave it be, but if he likes the feel, texture, etc he will take it.
Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 08:41 am
@tsarstepan,
I see that with the scent - he is now under my desk as I work from home sleeping on my coat I left there.

I just figured my scent is gone after washing and drying. And he doesn't take socks or other also smaller items.
Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 08:42 am
@engineer,
Ah - the texture - like maybe the dryer sheet texture and underwear is light enough from him -- yeah he is kind of pampered so I can see he wouldn't like roughness of a sock.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 08:42 am
@Linkat,
But dogs are (we're dealing with factor of thousands) more sensitive to lingering smells than any human can process.
engineer

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 08:48 am
@tsarstepan,
We have competing hypotheses - the scientific method demands an experiment!
Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 08:50 am
@engineer,
Ok so I need to go out and buy some new underwear.

I have an idea - I will rub my body and sweat all over a sock and then I will get a new pair of underwear and use gloves to handle it so as to avoid any scent transfer. I will put them equal distance to the pup and then let him go and see what he does.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 08:51 am
@engineer,
Dogs are individuals in their own rights. I follow Dogspotting Society, a dog owners group on Facebook. Plenty of tales whereas dogs gobble up socks by the dozen. Too many variables to make a larger picture theory to predict what draws individual dogs to what articles of clothing, dog toys, people items seen as dog toys, etc....
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2018 09:16 am
@Linkat,
I have an idea - I will rub my body and sweat all over a sock and then I will get a new pair of underwear and use gloves to handle it so as to avoid any scent transfer. I will put them equal distance to the pup and then let him go and see what he does.

Quote:
You said it.

Quote:
I will rub my body and sweat all over a sock
Okay.....

Quote:
then I will get a new pair of underwear and use gloves to handle it
Wise move.

Poor poor dog, never to smell bacon again... after you've burnt the nostrils out of him.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why does my kids' dog like underwear?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 04:24:57