bind1845

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 09:35 pm
PHONE NUMBER
Okay... the phone number I have found is: 1-800-846-9398 or 301-731-5547, but they ask to leave a message if not during business hours which are 8:30-5:30 M-F EST. The name of the company is Encore marketing. Good luck!
0 Replies

mpktff

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 11:13 pm
I got one of these in the mail.
The big catch here is that they ask you to "sign up for the credit protection service". And they ask you to write your current CC info on the back of the check. How stupid do you have to be to fall for this stuff. Shocked
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 07:26 am
D'artagnan wrote:
Do you own a shredder? If so, use it. If not, buy one...

There's no better friend than a good shredder.
0 Replies

cceet1

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:50 am
Does anyone know the address to report marketing mail I'm receiving regarding Preferred Cardholder Division?
0 Replies

evilseagulls

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:44 pm
CCPA
This **** is happening to me right now. I only got charged $21.40 but it overdrafted a closed account I opened with National City. These people are bastards. My course of action is notify the bank with all the info `this helpful website and forum has given me. If the bank does nothing, I 'll contatc the FTC like some guy mentioned. For everyone new here, I have compiled a list of information...

The company seems to be Encore Marketing.
The adress is...
Preferred Cardholder Division
New Visa and Mastercard Department
Credit Card Protection Agenyc
Metro Business Center
4501 Forbed Blvd.
Lanham, MD 20797-0668 (or 20706)

Phone Numbers:
1-800-762-2703 (Just kept me on hold for about ten minutes then dropped call numerous times)
(on check) 301-459-5868
FTC: 1-800-613-6743

THIS SUCKS!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:08 pm
Why, I have to ask, do people run to the bank to cash a $3.25 check from an unknown source? It cost you that much in gas to get there.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:10 pm
Most local TV stations have consumer help departments where a reporter takes on the dispute and becomes an advocate for resolution. Compile all the facts and evidence and email/telephone/visit your TV stations and ask for their assistance in getting the word out about the company/scam and getting help in solving the various problems associated with it. This will also get the attention of legal authorities so they can investigate.
0 Replies

socrateez

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 02:37 pm
Unfortunately, I am a gullible college student and fell for this too. Today I called the 1-800 number and someone picked up after 5 minutes and 39 seconds of waiting, around 12:30PM pacific time, and I was able to cancel this horrible leeching scheme. Time will only tell if I am 100% free of the scheme CCPA put up. Regardless, I am relieved someone actually picked up on the other line. Good luck to everyone else.
0 Replies

gofish

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:49 pm
The credit card is no normal credit card. It's a card to be used ONLY to purchase items from the stores listed. It is not a normal credit card that offer such things as cash advances or car rentals, dining at resturants and so on!
0 Replies

perle

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:42 pm
Hate to say, but I think I was careless enough to cash the check, too.

Anyway, I only caught it when my bank account showed three withdrawels for a total of close to $90 for CCPA 1YR membership. I called the number, got a real person on the line after only a few minutes and she was willing to cancel without any charges. That's what she said, at least. We will see. I hope it is that easy!
0 Replies

uscgirl07

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 04:50 pm
I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has posted here; this board really helped me. I, too, am a gullible college student, and I am also irresponsible with my money and poor (probably not a coincidence Smile ).

I happened to discover the CCPA scam quite by accident. I thought I was having problems with the direct deposit of my paycheck, so I went into my school credit union and asked for a printout of my recent activity. Turns out there was no problem with my direct deposit, but I did notice a withdrawal from my debit card for $129 and it said CCPA and 1-YR as well. I saw the MD, but I wasn't sure if that meant it was from Maryland.

I racked my brain for what I could have spent $129 on, or what thing I joined. I went home and googled CCPA. Alarm bells went off when all I saw were things like Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives and Connecticut Community Providers Association. I decided to call the 800 number given (thank God they gave that!) and they said it was the Credit Card Protection Agency, and I hung up. I googled that, then, and there was no website for it, so uh oh. Then I found a person writing about the deception with a link to this site.

I called back, and they answered, and I said that I was charged $129 and that I didn't know what it was, but I wanted to cancel it. The lady, although she didn't sound happy, said she'd cancel it. I was happy with that, but then she said that the money would be refunded. We'll see!
0 Replies

ttsong

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:14 pm
what should I do ,If I cashed the check?
Is there anybody have this experience?
I have cashed the check with 3.25 dollars once,without my CC number and expiration date.
Now,I received again.I will not cash it now,so I want to cancel it, what should I do?
Call the number in the check?301 459 5868
0 Replies

jackerliu

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:27 am
CCPA 1yr service, $3.25 check
call 1-800-762-2703 cancel it or you'll call FTC to complain them.
I was told they would refund my money in 3 days.
0 Replies

starlightit

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 10:12 am
Refunds?
I'm going through this right now, and the number I called was also 800-762-2703 got a real person who agreed to refund the funds as well. Can anyone who has requested a refund verify they actually received it?
0 Replies

creditcardsareevil

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 11:35 am
HSBC is evil
HSBC /Orchard Bank is evil. HSBC sent me a $10 check in April. It looked like some kind of rebate check, not an agreement for services. Next thing I know I am being billed $119 per month for a service from some place called "Home Secure" that I never ordered! This sneaky practice to enroll people in something they are not aware of is reprehensible - especially since I chose this card because it helps rebuild credit... preying on the ones who can least afford it -- Shameful!!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:12 pm
Re: HSBC is evil
creditcardsareevil wrote:
HSBC /Orchard Bank is evil. HSBC sent me a $10 check in April. It looked like some kind of rebate check, not an agreement for services. Next thing I know I am being billed $119 per month for a service from some place called "Home Secure" that I never ordered! This sneaky practice to enroll people in something they are not aware of is reprehensible - especially since I chose this card because it helps rebuild credit... preying on the ones who can least afford it -- Shameful!!

are credit cards evil, or are you unable to read the terms of use?

credit cards aren't evil, some people are stupid.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:45 pm
I have to agree with Chai. Credit cards are not for the faint, there is
a finance charge (sometimes high ones) for the money these institutions
lend to you voluntarily. Everyone has to be responsible enough to
realize that the more money you rack up on a credit card the more finance
charges occur.

Receiving a check from an institution you don't know, translates into
accepting their agreement (whatever it might be) when cashing their check. That is that simple!

Frankly, I've never received such offer. Could be that I only use 2 credit cards and toss out all other offers from such institutions.
0 Replies

starlightit

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:21 am
Refdunded
Just an FYI after calling the number posted above, I can verify that I did receive my money back.
0 Replies

claw13

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 02:55 pm
called them
i have the same problem. i called them and told them to cancel service. they told me that i will get refund in 3 days. will see what happens after 3 days.
0 Replies

mumblebump

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 09:01 pm
Credit Card Protection Agency Fraud
I received plenty of those $3 checks, but I always ripped them up and tossed them out. I recall receiving a letter last year saying if I didn't respond I'd be enrolled in some protection program, and, figuring it was another scam, I didn't respond. Turned out I was right, it was a scam, and I was charged around $140. I was deep in the Thesis hole so I didn't fight it, but just the other day I was charged $140 again! I'm starting to think I should have cashed the check so at least I'd have a lower fee. They'll be getting an angry call, after stealing my money twice and putting me over my credit limit. I don't know how they sleep at night. Maybe we're paying for their sleeping pills?
0 Replies