Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 10:11 am
@maxdancona,
So you "own" them?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 12:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
As a veteran, I truly appreciate Colin Kaepernick's persistent principals and dignified actions.

thanks to you and the other veterans who have posted here

__

and separately , I hope everyone has looked at the ad. the messaging is powerful. I hope everyone teaches their children to think like that.

https://lybio.net/nike-dream-crazy-colin-kaepernick/sports/

Don’t settle for homecoming queen or linebacker. Do both.

Lose 120 pounds and become an ironman.

After beating a brain tumor.

Don’t believe you have to be like anybody, to be somebody.

If you’re born a refugee, don’t let it stop you from playing soccer for the National Team.

At age 16. Don’t become the best basketball player on the planet. Be bigger than basketball.

Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.

When they talk about the greatest team in the history of the sport, make sure it’s your team.

If you have only one hand, don’t just watch football. Play it. At the highest level.

And if you’re a girl from Compton, don’t just become a tennis player.

Become the greatest athlete ever.

Yeah, that’s more like it.

So, don’t ask if your dreams are crazy. Ask if they’re crazy enough.

__

then again, that might be my independent brain talking

https://www.adweek.com/digital/how-nikes-colin-kaepernick-ad-looks-to-democrats-and-republicans-based-on-neuroscience/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 12:59 pm
@Chacha66,
Quote:
This is about Kaepernick being able to exercise his right of speech without retaliation against him.

No, it is not.

It is no more a free speech issue that social media censoring conservative viewpoints.

The 1st Amendment protects our right to free speech from interference by the government.

You folks keep willfully confusing the issue.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:00 pm
@engineer,
I have to agree.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:07 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
My greater point was some of these protesters against Nike are current and former military

I'm curious what about the message offends them

Quote:

If you’re born a refugee, don’t let it stop you from playing soccer for the National Team.

At age 16. Don’t become the best basketball player on the planet. Be bigger than basketball.

When they talk about the greatest team in the history of the sport, make sure it’s your team.

If you have only one hand, don’t just watch football. Play it. At the highest level.

aren't they supposed to be all about wanting to be the best or brightest? or is that saved for white men only?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:08 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Bottom line Colin has the right to kneel

No, he does not if you mean he has the right to do so without repercussion.

The 1st Amendment protects our right of free speech against government interference...that is all

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Back up your "understanding"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:13 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
The intention of naming and keeping the name Red Skins as your team is not intended to be racist or offensive

yeah so I didn't intend to drown you when I held your head under water

nope

not going for that didn't intend to be offensive/racist stuff

it is offensive

it is racist
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:18 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I've served and I've never considered for one second that people standing were in any way respecting the military. They weren't disrespecting it either. Why the national anthem and the military is connected in this discussion is beyond me.

it's a classic

follow the $

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-nfls-tangled-ties-with-the-national-anthem-dont-run-deep/

Quote:
the league's history with the national anthem illustrates another cherished American value: capitalism.

As ESPN's Stephen A. Smith and others have pointed out, NFL players have only been on the field for the anthem on a regular basis since 2009. At the time, sports leagues were paid millions of dollars by the U.S. Department of Defense to honor members of the military during the playing of "The Star-Spangled banner" without informing the public that they were watching a paid promotion.

A report released in 2015 by Arizona Republican Senators John McCain and Jeff Flake found that the Pentagon spent $6.8 million on sports marketing contracts with the National Football League, Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League and Major League Soccer on what the senators dubbed "paid patriotism." The practice was subsequently banned by the Pentagon.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Let's address the Elephant in the Room:

Being a veteran warrants a certain degree of respect that is well deserved but it doesn't imbue anyone with sainthood.

There are horrible people who are veterans.

On the subject of war, I will humbly acquiesce to the testimony of combat veterans.

I will give service members my 1st Class Seat on a plane and thank them for their service. I will donate money to organizations, like USO, supporting these folks, but I won't assume that because of their service that they are either intellectually or morally superior to anyone.

And those who have been quite happy in denigrating our troops in Vietnam, Iraq and elsewhere should not be playing the "veteran" card.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:22 pm
@ehBeth,
someone seems to be quite offended by the message in the ad

so I guess I'll have to keep re-posting it

Laughing

Quote:

and yeah

if this isn't what you teach/taught your kids, I do think less of you

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3gCx9LvmKskf5aBqXQZWMvsDEz3ek_PdFug_BiT6OxBLp86yO
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Aint you cute
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 01:45 pm
@engineer,
things are doing well for Nike, in sales and on the stock market

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/09/16/nike-sales-brisk-despite-kaepernick-controversy/1307506002/

Quote:
n fact, if there's one thing Cincinnati store owner Eric Koch wished he had in stock, it'd be a Kaepernick jersey.

Standing amid Bengals jerseys, athletic tape and Reds paraphernalia, Koch spoke to The Cincinnati Enquirer on Friday about how the latest controversy over Kaepernick has played out in his downtown Cincinnati store.

To start, go back to 2012 when Kaepernick took his San Francisco 49ers to the Super Bowl. Koch Sporting Goods did a decent business selling Kaepernick jerseys, but they ended up with a slew of extras they couldn't sell.

That was until Kaepernick first generated national headlines in 2016 for sitting during the national anthem at a 49ers preseason game to protest police brutality.

"We had them (Kaepernick jerseys) on the shelf for two years without anybody really buying them,'' Koch said. "Then, when it happened (Kaepernick protest), we sold all of them the next day.

"We still get a lot of calls for them,'' he said. "The problem is they don't make them anymore because he's not signed with anyone.''

Quote:
Koch said sales of Nike products – mostly NFL jerseys – actually spiked at his store on the eve of the Thursday Night Football game between the Bengals and the Baltimore Ravens at Paul Brown Stadium.

"A lot of people might not go out and buy a T-shirt with a swoosh on it, but, ironically, when they need a Bengals' jersey, they still have to buy something with a swoosh on it, and that's not going to stop them,'' Koch said.

___

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nikeboycott-is-over-why-retail-activism-rarely-changes-sales-1537099200

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 02:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
There are several issues here. There is the legal rights of players vs. their employers, and there perhaps are moral rights.

I think you are misunderstanding the power balance between players and owners. The owners are producing a product that depends on them attracting and keeping elite talent. They can't afford to piss off their employees, many of whom are not replaceable.

When I started working as a young software engineer, there were companies that insisted on a dress code (i.e. a tie). Now, I don't think such an employer exists.

This is because software elite software engineers have a great deal of leverage. If an employer demands their employees do something they deem unreasonable, that employer will fail, and the employees in jeans and t-shirts will barely notice.

The football players, like any elite set of employees, have a great deal of leverage in this case.
oralloy

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 04:34 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Geez Oralloy,
Maybe the problem isn't that you are lying.... maybe the problem is that you don't seem to understand ******* English!
The only problem here is that I am telling the truth.

maxdancona wrote:
You are saying that he called for "Black people to be able to murder police officers". There is nothing in that quote you keep posting that says anything of the sort.
When someone calls for self defense against a black attacker to be punished as murder, they are calling for people to be unable to defend themselves when a black person tries to murder them.

maxdancona wrote:
You are either lying, or you have basic problem understanding the English language.
When someone calls for self defense against a black attacker to be punished as murder, they are calling for people to be unable to defend themselves when a black person tries to murder them.

maxdancona wrote:
Maybe you are so ideologically far gone, that you you have the ability to tell the difference between "fact" and conservative wet dream.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 04:35 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
you are basically making the ridiculous argument that everyone who disagrees with you wants to murder police officers.
No.

Everyone who is part of Black Lives Matter is in favor of murdering police officers.

Everyone who supports Black Lives Matter is in favor of murdering police officers.

Colin Kaepernick is in favor of murdering police officers.

Everyone who supports Colin Kaepernick is in favor of murdering police officers.

Nike is in favor of murdering police officers.

It is possible to disagree with me without being a member of one of the above groups.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 05:04 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Everyone who is part of Black Lives Matter is in favor of murdering police officers.

Everyone who supports Black Lives Matter is in favor of murdering police officers.

Everyone who supports Colin Kaepernick is in favor of murdering police officers.

Nike is in favor of murdering police officers.

either you are deliberately lying or you are unwell - perhaps both. my money would be on the 2nd option

you are NOT telling the truth

I know members of those 3 groups as well as several Nike employees - none of them support police officers being murdered.

I am a member of two of those groups. I do not support anyone being murdered - including police officers.

You have not told the truth.

Full stop.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 05:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
https://www.dailywire.com/news/35916/az-dem-senate-candidate-kyrsten-sinema-smeared-us-ryan-saavedra?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 05:49 pm
@maxdancona,
What you are describing has nothing to do with "rights"
oralloy

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2018 06:17 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
either you are deliberately lying or you are unwell - perhaps both. my money would be on the 2nd option
It is neither.

What is happening is, I am pointing out facts that the left finds highly inconvenient.

ehBeth wrote:
you are NOT telling the truth
Yes I am.

ehBeth wrote:
I know members of those 3 groups as well as several Nike employees - none of them support police officers being murdered.

ehBeth wrote:
I am a member of two of those groups. I do not support anyone being murdered - including police officers.

ehBeth wrote:
You have not told the truth.
Full stop.
Yes I have.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 09:11:20