An Open Letter About E Mails to Some of My Favorite People

Chai

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 12:02 pm
oh....well, do you agree with my professional assessment that she's a numbskull?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 12:07 pm
Chai wrote:
oh....well, do you agree with my professional assessment that she's a numbskull?

Eyup! Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 12:12 pm
Dr. Chai is hardly ever wrong.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 12:23 pm
There's a great topic for a thread. Who can be more exasperating: Blood Kin or Married-In Kin?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 03:09 pm
Yeah, that is a good idea.

That's a hard one....

One of my SIL's is a really nice person, but oy....

One good thing about talking to her, in person or on the phone, is that you can get some really good thinking done. All that's required is saying "uh huh" or "oh, really" at random times.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 04:41 am
Update: I had been feeling uncomfortable about telling my SIL off. She had been going through a rough time recently, but I had been really pissed a few days ago.

Anyhow, I had not gotten any mail from her for a couple of days. I called my brother yesterday, and we spoke about all sorts of things, but nothing was mentioned about my E Mail.

Today, I received three of the corniest jokes from my SIL, sent................................(DRUMROLL), B.C.C.!!!!

I suppose that if I live long enough, I will see just about everything come to pass! Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 05:19 am
Yeah! At least she got the BCC part, even if she didn't get the "don't send me attachments."

My step-dad and Mom did this to me for a long time with the corny jokes, forward this to 10 people, prayers, rumors, lies, you name it. Several times I responded with Snopes. Finally I responded with a long informative e-mail about how Christians are NOT at risk of losing their religion just because "In God We Trust" is or is not on our coinage and how I find it interesting that they assume God means their God, but what if it means the God of Islam? Is that okay?

I did the "reply all" thing on it and didn't hear from Mom for a couple of weeks. Called her the other day and things were normal, but I haven't recieved any more e-mails. Very Happy

With step-dad, he would send swift boat kinda stuff, but got mad if Bear or I sent anything favoring Dems.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:23 am
My SIL was sending stuff only to me. Last night I received a joke from her with the names of all the people exposed. I responded this way:

Quote:

NAME:

Please don't send me any messages that are mass forwarded. What happens is that if one of the people gets a virus, and my E Mail address has been forwarded, I could be the recipient of all sorts of nasties. I have no problem if you send something to me personally, or send a message bcc.

I don't know if I ever told you this, but once I sent you a joke. You forwarded it to a number of people. Apparently, one of the people to whom you forwarded the joke took umbrage at it, and sent me a very nasty E Mail. I don't need or want to put up with things like that. If I send something to you, it is for you. If you want to send it to others, please don't let my name and E Mail address go along with it.

Case in point, in the message that you sent me, I have gleaned the following E Mail addresses:

(At this point I copied and pasted all the names and E Mail addresses that were in the message that I was able to access with a couple of mouse clicks)

If someone forwards this message to someone else, my name and E Mail address will appear on it.

Please respect my privacy, and stop doing this.

Here is an article that I believe you will find helpful:

http://www.netmanners.com/5-rules-for-forwarding-email.html

It was good seeing you last week.

Regards,

She replied that she had sent the message bcc to me, and that only the other people were sent as open E Mails. She also explained, that all these people know one another, and E Mail each other frequently. Rolling Eyes

I tried to explain to her that she was putting the other people at risk, but it did not seem to penetrate.

I sent her this:

http://thefuntimesguide.com/2006/08/forward_emails.php

I GIVE UP!!!!

0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:58 am
Phoenix--

Her e mail is pure because her heart is pure and her head is empty.

You might as well be accusing her of lap dancing at the local country club to pick up a little extra butter-and-egg money.

She's a pure woman--don't you get it?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 08:13 am
Noddy wrote:
She's a pure woman--don't you get it?

There is something that is really eluding me. This is otherwise a very sharp woman with a couple of masters' degrees.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:09 am
chuckles I do not even send you many emails Cool
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:19 am
husker....................A "blast" from the past. How'ya doin', guy???
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:22 am
I'll be dropping in more often now - nodding like i am alive
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:22 am
Your suggestion of blocking her email sounds like the most logical and effective course of action to me. Would she even know she'd been blocked? If not, why not do it?

Or tell her you have a new email (make it up) and ask her to change your address on her system.

I was getting emails from a niece I barely know about where to buy things for her kids, and emails with pics and all kinds of stuff I don't care about... After about 10 of these (I thought she'd eventually wind down), I asked her to stop sending me this information as I like to choose what and when and for whom I buy for.

Nary a word since, but still lots of pics. sigh.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:33 am
Mr. P. has an old friend who is rather elderly, and is definitely not as sharp as he once was. Some time back, the friend was doing the same thing as my SIL. I sent him one note, and now he sends everything bcc.

Do you think that maybe some passive aggressiveness is going on with my SIL?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:47 am
I don't know your SIL, so I can't hazard a guess, but maybe she's just too scatterbrained or busy to take care of this. Or she may not care what you think. I'm sorry, I have no idea why someone wouldn't take your request into consideration and act on it.

Give her a fake email Smile and block her incoming ones on your real one Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:12 am
Phoenix--

I write Class Notes for the Class of '60 for my College Alumna/e Magazine. Each class has a correspondent.

Last year I got a bulk mailing--open copies of every address for every Class Rep from 1928 (Bless 'em) to 2006.

I suggested to the gal at the Alumna/e Office that she BBC. She replied with horror that "our graduates would never abuse a mailing".

However mailings since have been BBC.

Your sharing SIL falls into the category of "to the pure, all things are pure". She wouldn't spam or deliberately spread a virus--and neither would her friends.

So there, you nasty, suspicious blue-haired cynic!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:54 am
Noddy wrote:
So there, you nasty, suspicious blue-haired cynic!

And that's how I am when I am feeling good will towards mankind. When I am not, watch out! :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 12:42 pm
Phoenix--

I get to stand in line behind your sister-in-law. I wouldn't want to usurp her long-earned place--I'm only a new comer.
0 Replies