An Open Letter About E Mails to Some of My Favorite People

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 08:52 am
Slappy- If the shoe fits....................... :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 08:56 pm
Very Happy Laughing Surprised He he he ..............
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:40 pm
I am furious. I sent an E Mail to my aforementioned sister-in-law. Actually, it was something funny that I had seen on A2K, and I thought that she would enjoy it.

Well, again she forwarded it to many people. I received and irate E Mail from someone that she sent it to, who took offense at it. I wrote an E Mail to my brother, suggesting that he teach his wife how to bcc, and how to delete all identifying information from forwards.

I don't think that she realized the ramifications of what she did. In this case, it was no big deal, but who knows to whom an E Mail is sent when it is constantly being forwarded? I certainly don't want some crackpot to be writing to me, whom I don't even know. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:55 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Well, again she forwarded it to many people. I received and irate E Mail from someone that she sent it to, who took offense at it. I wrote an E Mail to my brother, suggesting that he teach his wife how to bcc, and how to delete all identifying information from forwards.

You're not telling us you are surprised, are you?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 03:02 pm
That sucks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 05:14 pm
Quote:
You're not telling us you are surprised, are you?

Embarrassed Thomas- No, I am not surprised. I really should have known better.

I have been putting up with this for a long time from her, and really should have addressed it sooner. You know. Peace in the family, and all that. I can't wait to see what will happen when my brother comes home from work, and reads his E Mail!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 12:16 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/MistiErin/FORWARDNOTICE.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 12:28 am
er, why can't people just talk to each other?

I am now off of a sometime acquaintance list, a serious woman who paints gourds and shows them at a lot of places...
just because all her ads had me and forty other people on the receiving list. Too bad, as I like her and her work.

well, I complained and suggested she do the bcc bit. Apparently not...

actually, I'm relieved, as I heard of her very slightly different work every six weeks or so, and I didn't know whether to treasure the same postcard or chuck fling it.

Osso huffs a little dismally.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 12:38 am
Osso whines, as all those mailer postcards cost a lot of money for the gallery, which of course is usually resented as a bastion of sorts.

Sigh. Not to mention that the card is usually messed up in some way or another. Show it to me and I can show you how. Besides, the color is never right...

OH, NOOOOO, I am off topic again.

Whapppp.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 09:14 am
Update- My sister-in-law is still mass forwarding dumb jokes. I don't even know if my brother discussed what I wrote to him, and I will not bring it up again.

Misti- Thanks for the sign. I think that I will add it to anything I send to my sister-in-law!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:22 pm
Phoenix, if I were you I'd block her addy ..... I'm so evil:)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 06:37 pm
Well, this time I really got pissed. My SIL sent out one of those bogus E Mails that warn about companies publishing cellphone directories, and that you had to inform the "do not call" organization to get off the list.

So, instead of what I usually do, which is privately informing her of her mistake, I sent out the Snopes article that debunks this myth:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

And this time I hit, "Reply All" Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:16 pm
Phoenix--

Good for you.

This week I got a Classic Hoax from a college friend who should have known better. I do not understand why she thought that someone would contribute $7 to cancer research for every copy of the e mail that was forwarded.

I hit "reply all" myself--with the web address of Snopes.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:25 pm
Oh, yes, sending a snopes link with Reply All has cured several people of sending me such emails.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:53 am
I do that, too.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 11:20 am
I once sent a Snopes article to a friend who had sent me one of those rather hysterical E Mails. She got angry at me and said that she didn't care if it were a hoax or not! Shocked
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 11:56 am
Quote:
once sent a Snopes article to a friend who had sent me one of those rather hysterical E Mails. She got angry at me and said that she didn't care if it were a hoax or not!

As Oprah and Parson Weems (the guy responsible for young George and "Father I cannot tell a lie, I did it with my little hatchet) agree, if the end is uplifting, who cares about the facts.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 11:06 am
Good grief! It is two years since I started this thread, and my SIL is still sending me mass forwardings and attachments. About a month ago, I "bit the bullet", and asked her politely not to send me attachments.

For a couple of days, no attachments. Then they started coming again. The first few came with a note, "This is worth opening", or some such thing. Then even the notes stopped, and the attachments started flowing.

I finally decided that I had had enough. I attempted to explain nicely, why I don't want attachments. I also sent this link, which I hoped emphasized my point:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130686-page,1/article.html

Keep your fingers crossed.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 11:50 am
I'm pretty sure that will go right over her head.

Excuse me, but your SIL sounds like a complete numbskull.

I'd just start deleting her emails without even opening. If she asks about what you thought about something, I'd tell her the truth.

"I don't open your emails anymore because they have attachment I don't want to read. In fact, I delete your emails without even reading your message."

What have you got to lose? If she gets insulted, she'll either tell you her feelings are hurt, and won't send them, or get your message and won't send them.

She obviously has no consideration of Your feelings, so if she plays that card, I'd let her know that also. No arguing, just state the facts and shut your mouth.

My mother had a habit (she had many of them Rolling Eyes ) of informing you, when she didn't want to talk about something (which was 99% of available subjects) that "you're upsetting me" It wouldn't even have to be anything personal, just the world at large "upset her"

Once, after I had dared bring up one of the 5,893,262 things in life that upset her, she informed me that she was so upset she "just couldn't talk to me any more" and hung up.

Within 5 minutes, she called me back so that she could again tell me how upset she was and that "I won't be able to sleep tonight, you've got me so upset and tense I'll be up all night"

I said "So, why are you calling and telling me? Is it because you hope I'll get so upset I won't be able to sleep either? I don't upset you, you upset yourself. I can't help it if you can't sleep, and it's not going to bother my sleep at all."

That was the last time she ever said anything I said upset her. She'd lost that power.

You've given your SIL the power, she sends an email, and you do her bidding by opening it. It's your computer and email account, you can open something or delete it, it's your decision.

Once she realizes she no longer dictates your actions she'll stop.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 11:56 am
Chai- I HAVE been deleting without opening, for a long time. She sends these things to so many people, that I really don't know if she knows or really cares who reads them.

Next step is to block her address. My brother has his own address, and he never pulls this crap!
0 Replies