Which Auto DVD players play MP3 files of a DVD Data disc?

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:59 pm
Most DVD standalone players do not play MP3 files of a DVD-R or DVD+R disc burned as data disc, probably because it usually does not expect to see that type of file, and it is not part of the standards.

However several users have reported that their DVD players does actually play MP3 files burned onto a DVD data disc.

The advantages are obvious as you can then store about 4.7GB of MP3 files on one disc.

Although I am currently especially interested in which Car DVD players that can do this, I would also like to know which home players can do this, so if you have one that can, or heard of one that can, I would appreciate if you would report the brand and model name right here.

I can tell for sure that my one year old Denon DVD-2900 cannot! They might have upgraded the firmware since.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,393 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 03:18 pm
I have only found one so far (though I haven't been looking too much) and it was a no-name cheap brand.

Since a DVD can hold a lot of songs it would need good firmware to make it useful. The one I had bought did not and I returned it in 40 minutes for a Kenwood that only played CD media.
0 Replies

DKDiveDude

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 03:14 pm
Hmm, nobody else know any DVD players that can play MP3 files off a DVD Data disc?
0 Replies

biggertwo

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 10:52 pm
I'm kinda late getting interested in this topic; hope you're still watching.

I recently bought a Sony DVP-NC875V model (5-disk changer), then found that the manual states it will play mp3 from "a DATA CD". I didn't bother taking the player out of the box. On another forum I asked around -- somebody reported his NC875 plays mp3's on dvd's -- but no shuffle or random.

I've found (via lots of time with Google) that "many" dvd players that *say* they play mp3 on cd will *also* play mp3 on dvd.

But I want a changer, certainly with random/shuffle. Still looking.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 11:22 pm
bookmarking to watch
0 Replies

bvalenz

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 05:36 pm
DVD Player that plays MP3s recorded on DVD-R
I searched & searched & FINALLY found a DVD player that will play MP3s recorded on a DVD-R. I burned 951 songs on a DVD-R, went to several stores w/the disc and tried the ones out that were supposedly both MP3 & DVD-R compatible. My findings varied. Some could read the disc, but only partially (ranging from ~50 to <600 songs), others couldn't read them at all, & yet others froze & wouldn't eject the disc without unplugging the unit then turning it back on. I tried all brands from Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony, Phillips, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, Mitsubishi, NAD, Samsung, LG (you get the picture). I was actually looking for a DVD recorder, but none of them could even partially read the disc. One of the Phillips DVD players COULD read it, but just seemed very cheap-looking (like some college student's senior project). I ended up going to the Bose Outlet, they're a factory authorized dealer for Onkyo. The disc worked & I paid <$100 for the player. It also plays JPGs. I later recorded a disc w/1301 songs on it...and I was shocked that it read every single one (thought for sure the cutoff would be 999). Model is Onkyo DV-SP302. It's a great buy & a great DVD player, also has shuffle play.

I haven't tried DVD-RW with MP3s yet.

Strange thing is that the DV-SP502 (more expensive model) could only read a few dozen of the songs.

I can't seem to find a car stereo that will play the DVD-R. I tried the disc w/951 songs on JVC KD-DV5100 & it couldn't read it (though it claims to have GIGA MP3 capability).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 05:39 pm
bvalenz that was a -r thatyou used?
0 Replies

bvalenz

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 06:12 pm
Yes, dvd-r worked on the Onkyo. i haven't tried other DVD formats yet. CD-RW works as well. I understand that Onkyo is replacing the 302 w/303. Not sure if 303 will work
0 Replies

DKDiveDude

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 11:42 am
Great find bvalenz with the Onkyo player, however I was specifically looking for and asking about a DVD player for a car that could play all MP3 files of a DVD data disc, anyone seen such a beast?
0 Replies