How do I clean my moldy lawn furniture pads?

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:45 pm
It's really funky and I hope I don't have to scrub and scrub.

The cases don't come off for cleaning -- something I will certainly remember next time I buy lawn furniture -- and I don't think I can wash the whole pad.

Any hints, tricks and suggestions appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,569 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:58 pm
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It is a wonder tool.

Go here to see what it is if you don't know. Unfortunatly, the free samples are no longer available. Sad They run about $3 for 2.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:01 pm
I love the Magic Erasers!

I've used the special cleaner for Corning Wear on my white plastic lawn bits. mrs. hamburger recommended it. The big pads get dragged to the laundramat that has three, four and five load size machines.

Clean 'em once (the pads) - have someone make removable covers - and clean them.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:09 pm
ehBeth wrote:

Clean 'em once (the pads) - have someone make removable covers - and clean them.

OOO, good idea....and you won't get stuck to them in hot weather!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:24 pm
ehBeth- I too love the Magic Erasers. Problem is, I find that they get "used up" very very fast.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:39 pm
Thanks!

I will certainly look for those magic erasers. I'd never heard of them. Even if they do get used up fast it will still be cheaper than new furniture pads, I'd think.

I don't know if I can was the pads or not but taking them to a laudromat first might be a really good idea. Even a 5 load size machine might not hold my hammock though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:36 pm
If it's like waterproof covers, have you considered a car wash? Never tried it myself.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:52 pm
That is not a bad idea at all, Roger! Maybe spray them with a little Clorox and hit them with the high pressure hose....

I'll bet that would work!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:54 pm
Ya prolly oughtta test the pads for colorfastness before hittin' 'em with Clorox - or any other oxidizer or solvent.

Personally, I'd use a coin-op carwash. The wand-mounted rotatin' brush, heavy-duty, vinyl-safe detergents, and high pressure rinse oughtta do the trick pretty well.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 10:07 pm
Another possibility - RV Awning cleaner.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?deptID=3&subOf=109,12,346&prodID=3353
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:44 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
ehBeth- I too love the Magic Erasers. Problem is, I find that they get "used up" very very fast.

Very fast. The only thing I don't like is the crumbling.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 08:01 am
That's a good point about the Clorox. I'd just rather get rid of the mold than worry about the color at this point.

Ooohhhh. That RV awning cleaner looks very promising indeed. That might do the trick pretty easily. Thanks!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:08 pm
The results are partially in.....

First off, I realized I had no idea where a coin-op car wash is. They believe it is too dangerous for us to pump our own gas so maybe they think it is to dangerous for us to wash our own cars.

Ironically, they do trust us with Physicaian Assisted Suicide and medical marajuana and nude beaches. Go figure.

So off to the grocery to pick up awning wash and magic erasers!

The magic erasers are cool but I fear that I would need dozens of boxes to tackle the job. At slightly more than a buck a sponge it would quickly be cost prohibitive. Further research will be done on my bathroom grout...... someday.

But we have a winner with the awning wash! It required quite a bit of elbow grease and a pair of rubber gloves and repeated warnings for Mo to "stay away from the chemicals!" but it really did a good job.

My lawn furniture pads and I thank you all for your help!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:19 pm
You found awning wash at the grocery store? Surprised That's quite the store you've got there! lol

Glad to hear it worked though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:44 pm
A grocery store in Oregon that didn't sell full line of camping supplies wouldn't be in business for long!

There's a few smaller groceries where you can't buy all the stuff but the big grocers all carry most of it.
0 Replies