Changing seasons: disorientation, dread & elation

msolga

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 01:56 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:40 am
Hmmmm

Good Friday tomorrow. Always a cold day with bad connotations, hanging about since childhood. Sad

Then daylight saving ends on Sunday. Sad No more wonderful long, light nights.

No avoiding it ... Winter's definitely coming. Sad
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:56 am
The really early days of spring are here. For us the signs of spring are quite subtle for a while, bright reddish branches on the trees in the woods means that the sap is running. Sulphur smell and skunk cabbage wafting from the swamps. Crocuses are just tentatively pushing their leaf clusters and daffodil tops are a yellowish green.
Soon the fields and pastures will be a bright green and the trees will be bare for another 3 weeks or so. Lotsa plant popping should happen in these next few weeks. Gotta keep an eye out or it gets missed.

Our daylight aving starts next week. Im ambivalent about it cause I think we were sold a bill of goods by Congress and govenrments worldwide that we truly need this. I went back and looked at the Pa Farm News and , when it was first posed, the farmers were all up in arms .
Theres a poem by Frost about working outside on a cold April day, and how any cloud that blocks the sun in a brisk wind can put one back a month or two in climate. Ill have to find it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:01 am
farmerman wrote:
...Theres a poem by Frost about working outside on a cold April day, and how any cloud that blocks the sun in a brisk wind can put one back a month or two in climate. Ill have to find it.

Oh, yes, please, farmerman!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:03 am
farmerman

Early spring after your long, cold winter sounds like pure magic!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:08 am
Autumn is by far my favourite season. The change in colours, the wonderful briskness after too much heat, the memory of the excitement of going back to school, the end of allergies - it's the very best.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:12 am
Funny, the different connotations for different folk, ehBeth. To me, it's about the slow, sad disappearance of summer. It makes me quite melancholy. Each time. Without fail. Sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:13 am
Years ago, I used to say that there were two things that caused me to become depressed.......................Sunday at 4 pm, and September. Those times marked change. In the case of Sunday at 4 pm, it was the realization that the weekend was ending. September was similar, as it heralded the end of summer, and the coming of winter.

Now I am retired. For me, it is now always Saturday night. Since I moved to a more southerly latitude, I am no longer faced with snow, cold weather, and the low light levels that used to drive me batty.

The strawberry festival is over in Florida. That means that the fields will be open for U-pick. I think I will go this weekend and get a huge pot of plump red berries. In a few weeks, the blueberries will be ripe. Blueberry picking is one of my most favorite things to do. Just me, the berry bushes, and the warm, sweet smell of the earth. Just heavenly!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:14 am
SPRING! The time to sit back and marvel at the wonder of it all.

Cherry blossom, Daffodils, forsythia and bluebells. Marvellous.

Even the frogs have arrived, and are busy mating in the pond.

Bloody foreign tourists, go and do that sort of thing in your own back garden, thats what I say !!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:16 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Years ago, I used to say that there were two things that caused me to become depressed.......................Sunday at 4 pm, and September. Those times marked change. In the case of Sunday at 4 pm, it was the realization that the weekend was ending. September was similar, as it heralded the end of summer, and the coming of winter.

Yes, yes, I know!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:18 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
.... I think I will go this weekend and get a huge pot of plump red berries. In a few weeks, the blueberries will be ripe. Blueberry picking is one of my most favorite things to do. Just me, the berry bushes, and the warm, sweet smell of the earth. Just heavenly!

Very Happy Now that DOES sound good, Phoenix! Enjoy!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:21 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
SPRING! The time to sit back and marvel at the wonder of it all.

Cherry blossom, Daffodils, forsythia and bluebells. Marvellous.

Even the frogs have arrived, and are busy mating in the pond.

Bloody foreign tourists, go and do that sort of thing in your own back garden, thats what I say !!

Ah, spring at the manor, Lord Ellpus! It must be such a busy time at the estate!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:40 am
I cannot believe I found the poem. I just sort of remembered a few lines, plopped into google and BAM it sends me the poem. Its called Two Tramps In Mud Time. (Mud time is a peculiarly named season that conects late snowy winter with true spring). The nuances of our seasons have beendefined by earl Poole , late of the Pa Museum Commission,who further subdivided the Appalachian seasons, thusly. Our seasons consist of about a dozen recognizable subseasons that provide a special something to our year. Our subseasons are DEEP Winter, late snowy winter, mud time . early spring, tulip spring, peony spring , cool summer, hot summer, very hot (dog day) summer, early hot autumn,autumn, "the locking", and early winter.
So without further adooo. here is Robert Frosts
TWO TRAMPS IN MUD TIME
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:46 am
Ah.

Thank you, farmerman.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 06:49 am
Spring is showing...

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gismonda/images/allee.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:01 am
Beautiful, Francis! So fresh & new! Very Happy
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:16 am
And the other way around...

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gismonda/images/allee1.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:50 am
You didn't, by any chance, take these photographs yourself, Francis?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:52 am
Spring has started springing, and I am miserable.
My allergies have started to kick in.
My eyes are gummy, my nose is snotty, my ears and palate itch, my head feels stuffy.
Time to hit the meds.
Blechhhhhhhh.

Bring me autumn.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:55 am
OK! I'll do a swap with you, ehBeth! Then we'll both be happy! Very Happy
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 05:23:20