Changing seasons: disorientation, dread & elation

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:15 am
Surprised Why am I always taken by surprise when summer comes to an end & it starts getting darker earlier & the mornings seem SO chilly? Sad

Autumn, the season of melancholy .... a long, grey Melbourne winter ahead. Sad Soon to be stuck indoors again! All those layers of clothes, all that winter introspection. Dread, dread, dread! Sad

What are the seasonal changes were you are & how is it affecting your outlook?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,950 • Replies: 45
No top replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:25 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/08/10/100804mm3,0.jpg

Definitely Autumn here! Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:32 am
But, a short reprieve on Friday & Saturday! Very Happy

Tomorrow - Fine.
Min: 12°C
Max: 22°C

http://www.ecityguide.com.au/media/misc/wthrfne.gif Friday - Local Early Fog Then Fine.
Min: 13°C
Max: 29°C

http://www.ecityguide.com.au/media/misc/wthrfne.gif Saturday - Fine.

Cool
Min: 15°C
Max: 30 C
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:33 am
As winter is leading toward the end here, my mood substantially gets better and better.
I feel myself reviving after all these months of sullenness.
The garden beggins to revive either, some tulips are out now!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:37 am
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, what a splendid time of year this must be for you, Francis! Tulips! Very Happy I really can't understand how folk manage in TRULY cold places in winter! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Shocked
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:42 am
The snow has just melted.

In one month I'll post pictures of the blossom.

Springtime is defenitely my prefered!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:44 am
Oh, yes! Spring is pure magic ... everywhere! Very Happy

Do post pictures! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:04 am
Glorious perfect Autumn here!!!

Beautiful cool nights and mornings - warm golden days.....leaves just turning.

But - I DO hate it when daylight saving ends - and it starts being dark when I get home...waaaah!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 05:50 am
dlowan wrote:
... But - I DO hate it when daylight saving ends - and it starts being dark when I get home...waaaah!

Yes, I know, Deb ..... It's great, in the height of summer, having daylight till 9 pm, or so ... The days feel so long! Very Happy
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:16 am
its BASEBALL SEASON!! yay!! -does a happy dance -
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:23 am
Surprised Oh. I thought summer meant baseball. It must be spring, then ... Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 08:58 am
I generally love the changing of seasons, no matter the change. When I lived in L.A. the lack of change made me very grumpy. (Natives would say "it does so change! In the winter it rains occasionally and gets down to say 50!" Bah.)

So I'm usually genuinely thrilled when the first cool breeze of autumn cuts across a sweltering summer day, the colors, the first snowflakes, the first lasting snow... all of it.

But eventually my patience runs out, and I think I'm usually happier, in sum, to see spring than I am to see fall, winter, or even summer. Those first warmish days -- maybe it's not sundress weather, but you don't need your heavy wool coat, either -- are just so liberating.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 11:58 am
The season doesn't change much here. Kind of like what Sozobe said about LA, it occasionally rains and I don't think this city (Fortaleza) has ever seen the thermometer marking anything below 75.

It is wonderful to be able to enjoy the sun and warmth all year long, specially living by the beach, but it gets really uncomfortable having to deal with the humidity and 95º+ temperature everyday at noon. Yuck.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 12:32 pm
I'm at my best in the transition seasons: spring and autumn.

Summer brings heat and humidity and I'm an old fashioned girl who will swoon when the heat index goes over 90. Winter brings snow and slippery footing and I can be trapped in the house for days at a time.

Spring and autumn are bustling, social, productive times.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:21 pm
It seems winter is truly ending here. The daffodils are beginning to bloom, and so are the first of the flowering trees. It's such a hopeful time of year. Once the grass turns green, I begin to regain some energy.

That said, autumn is truly my favorite. All that color! And the introspection that goes with it...just my cup of tea.

I love the first warm days of spring so much, but I think I prefer those first few days of autumn when there's a very slight chill in the air. After the very hot summers we have, it's always exciting to pull on a sweater for the first time. It usually happens around the first of October. And, of course, it's a signal that the holidays are coming!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 01:21 am
sozobe wrote:
.... I think I'm usually happier, in sum, to see spring than I am to see fall, winter, or even summer. Those first warmish days -- maybe it's not sundress weather, but you don't need your heavy wool coat, either -- are just so liberating.

Yes! Yes! Very Happy
That's exactly how I feel when the shackles of winter are loosening! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 01:24 am
Eva wrote:
It seems winter is truly ending here. The daffodils are beginning to bloom, and so are the first of the flowering trees. It's such a hopeful time of year. Once the grass turns green, I begin to regain some energy.

<sigh> Lovely! Very Happy
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 03:02 pm
I like Spring and Autumn - I don't like it hot and I don't like it cold

Spring is coming Very Happy there are miniature daffodils out and the normal daffodils are growing, bluebells won't be too long and all the spring blossoms on the bushes will be out soon - kerria, clematis, caenothus, spirae .... it really lifts the spirits when they all come out.

dark at 9pm msolga? that's early. it is dark much later here in the summer - when we lived in the north of Scotland it was very very late and the dawn very very early, not the midnight sun but heading that way. our days are drawing out now.

The colours and the skies in Spring and Autumn are gorgous.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 06:24 am
Enjoy your early spring, Vivien. Right now there are 3 days of Indian summer here in Melbourne. Perfect for a long weekend! (Monday is Labour Day)

It's weird, this getting up in the dark again! These chilly mornings. Brrrrr.
I'm not sure exactly what time it actually gets dark in high summer Vivien. But 9 pm is about the latest I'd do my saunter down to the supermarket. After that, well, best to drive the car!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 07:55 am
In Malta it was always dark by 7pm and the sun used to whoosh down over the horizon - our sunsets are slow. In the heat there we were glad when it got dark though to cool down a fraction.

Spring does lift the spirits. Very Happy Paddy thinks it's wonderful and plays out for hours.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Changing seasons: disorientation, dread & elation
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 03:18:19