Plastic Straw Ban Enforcement

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 12:09 pm
Some people are saying that it's ridiculous to enforce plastic straw bans with fines and/or jail time. Maybe, but wouldn't it be appropriate to enforce them with community service cleaning up litter? Granted this wouldn't solve the larger problem of plastic building up in landfills and in the oceans, but if people keep violating the bans, you could eventually up the sentences to more rigorous cleanups.

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 11:18 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Some people are saying that it's ridiculous to enforce plastic straw bans with fines and/or jail time.

Are they?

Straw ban arguments suck.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 11:25 pm
@laughoutlood,
There was once such a thing as paper straws that were covered with a waxy substance. They only lasted thru one milkshake or ice cream soda, but we don’t reuse plastic straws either.
roger

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 11:35 pm
Oh, man! Something else to worry about. At least there aren't that many plastic toothpicks around.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2018 11:36 pm
Here's a novel idea: Ban plastic straws.
As glitterbag states, paper straw or plastic they end up being used once (with rare exceptions). Since this is standard, might as well go with the easier to recycle paper. There are many creatures in the wildlife kingdom that would be grateful. Plastic kills. Plastic blinds birds, fish and other creatures. Plastic is not environmentally friendly.
drillersmum85

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 09:41 am
@livinglava,
Just wanna give it my vote. Am all in favour of banning plastic straws and single use shopping bags. I just wish it was easier to know or find out exactly what to put into the recyclable bin. Even the 'experts' are not sure. Those plastic meat trays are a puzzler. There HAS to be an easier way to help old fuddy duddys like me. I really want to help but am floundering.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 11:34 am
@glitterbag,
Laughoutlood might have been making a bad straw man arguments pun.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 11:35 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

As glitterbag states, paper straw or plastic they end up being used once (with rare exceptions). Since this is standard, might as well go with the easier to recycle paper. There are many creatures in the wildlife kingdom that would be grateful. Plastic kills. Plastic blinds birds, fish and other creatures. Plastic is not environmentally friendly.

There's a big movement in NYC that might lead to that ban (far faster than a plastic bag ban which has been a movement lot longer).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 11:37 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

Some people are saying that it's ridiculous to enforce plastic straw bans with fines and/or jail time.

Can you please cite your sources on what municipality/city/state government plans on a plastic straw ban that includes a possible jail sentence? I don't believe that exists.
livinglava

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 11:44 am
@tsarstepan,
I think someplace in California was mentioned in the article I read, maybe Santa Cruz but I could be mixing it up with someplace else. I don't bother too much with sources on an informal discussion forum like this. You could probably google 'plastic straw ban' and see what comes up. In fact, here I'll do it for you:
https://www.newsweek.com/plastic-straw-ban-you-can-be-sent-jail-breaking-new-law-california-city-1043944
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 11:48 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
. I don't bother too much with sources on an informal discussion forum like this.

if you're going to stay for a while you'll learn that your opinions will be ignored for the most part if you don't back them up with facts - a lot of people here prefer facts to opinions and beliefs.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 11:50 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

not such a great idea if you have friends with disabilities who need bendable straws to drink

bendable paper straws aren't the same

reusable straws of any material - not such a sanitary option

bendable disposable plastic straws are the only affordable option right now
livinglava

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 11:51 am
@ehBeth,
I have only read two posts by you but I can already tell you're going to harass me because you don't like my opinions on things like abortion and dating that you consider 'women's issues.' If you dislike me because of how my mind works, please just leave me alone because I don't want to be harassed by someone who is prejudiced toward certain stances and attitudes.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 11:52 am
@livinglava,
Put me on ignore.

It'll be easier on your life.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 11:53 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
things like abortion and dating that you consider 'women's issues.'

you don't know that I consider anything 'women's issues'.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 11:56 am
@tsarstepan,
Obviously - and not without reason.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 12:04 pm
@ehBeth,
But that would allow you to comment on my posts and ridicule me behind my back.

How about this? I don't really know you so will you just tell me straight out that you can respect my views even if they go against yours? I.e. I am pro-life so does that mean I have to endure harassment because you consider anyone who holds pro-life views an enemy to be punished until they convert to pro-choice or go away?

Can you just appreciate that I have a POV and disagree with me respectfully instead of harassing me?
glitterbag

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 12:38 pm
@livinglava,
I think you are reading too much into others peoples comments. If you think others are harassing you because you have a POV, then you are harassing others for their point of view. It’s a discussion forum, not a wrestling match.
livinglava

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 12:45 pm
@glitterbag,
The post that felt like harassment to me read as follows:

"if you're going to stay for a while you'll learn that your opinions will be ignored for the most part if you don't back them up with facts - a lot of people here prefer facts to opinions and beliefs. "

"if you're going to stay for a while" implies, "if you're to go away, then don't worry about it," i.e. a subtle suggestion to go away.

Then, "you'll learn that your opinions will be ignored if . . . " implies group power.

It would have been less belligerent to just question a specific opinion I posted and discuss it. Instead, this is a general attack on me, and I suspect it was because this person read some of my posts and decided they didn't like my POV in general.

That's not fair. I am here to discuss things, not make friends and enemies.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 02:49 pm
@livinglava,
I think you are trying a little too hard, it comes off as aggressive. Some members have known each other online for 15+ years. It takes a while to adjust to the ebb and flow. Some do, some don’t.

1. Forums
  2. » Plastic Straw Ban Enforcement
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 07:51:23