The limit of Physics

Ray

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:26 am
Will we be approaching the limit of new attainable knowledge for Physics in the next century or two?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 866 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:47 am
Nope.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 07:04 pm
I think gaining more sophistcated models only shows you have more complexity and variability to analyse. Can you honestly see with the knowledge we possess at present this ending in 100 - 200 years?
0 Replies

physgrad

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 07:00 pm
Re: The limit of Physics
Ray wrote:
Will we be approaching the limit of new attainable knowledge for Physics in the next century or two?

Why on earth would you think that? As most phys majors would say, we were hardly done with newton when along came einstein. I believe the classical limit has been reached, but as most astrophysicists and particle physicists (the two opposite ends of our size spectrum) would tell you, there are eons of study ahead. I will say this however, in a couple of hundred years, the amount of physics you'll need to study before reaching a stage where you can conduct practical research, might just be horribly extended to beyond the limits of human patience. :wink:
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 11:02 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Nope.

Will you and I be alive to see the next big revolution?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:20 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Nope.

I hope so. It would be soooo exciting.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:28 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Nope.

I agree. I find the elegance of relativity so compelling that I am anxious to "see" the next level of natural physics. I just hope it's sufficiently intuitive for me to be able to comprehend. I'm lucky that the basic idea of relativity can be envisioned without math. But my fear is the as we move forward, dimensional mathematics may be the only way to grasp the next level of physics, and I'm not sure I'm up to that.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:30 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Nope.

I agree. I find the elegance of relativity so compelling that I am anxious to "see" the next level of natural physics. I just hope it's sufficiently intuitive for me to be able to comprehend. I'm lucky that the basic idea of relativity can be envisioned without math. But my fear is the as we move forward, dimensional mathematics may be the only way to grasp the next level of physics, and I'm not sure I'm up to that.

Sooner or later we will discover some new physics with practical implications as great as the discovery of electricity and electromagnetism. I would love to be alive to see it.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 07:55 pm
Quote:
Why on earth would you think that?

Because a lot of things could happen within a century or two. Honestly, Einstein's theory came out of nowhere, although there is a similar postulate of relativity being developed by other scientist, Einsten did not look at these datas. Right now is a very crucial point in Physics I think. All it takes is someone to look at something from an angle, and theorize a groundbreaking theory, although I know I'm stretching it here. Easier said than done.

Quote:
As most phys majors would say, we were hardly done with newton when along came einstein. I believe the classical limit has been reached, but as most astrophysicists and particle physicists (the two opposite ends of our size spectrum) would tell you, there are eons of study ahead. I will say this however, in a couple of hundred years, the amount of physics you'll need to study before reaching a stage where you can conduct practical research, might just be horribly extended to beyond the limits of human patience.

As long as they just skip right to the most modern physics instead of doing all the classical as a requirement, I would be grateful. Laughing
0 Replies

Jazzfreak13

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 08:39 am
Im sure they'll claim to be doing something even if they're not.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 08:49 am
rosborne979 wrote:
I'm lucky that the basic idea of relativity can be envisioned without math. But my fear is the as we move forward, dimensional mathematics may be the only way to grasp the next level of physics, and I'm not sure I'm up to that.

Could someone explain what "natural physics" are. No math?

How do scientists experiment with natural physics, or, what kind of experiments do they work with?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:53 am
I guess it will be aeons until we get to a complete theory, but I always wonder what would happen when all of that could be empirically known is already known.
0 Replies