Much Ado about Downthumbs!

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 09:40 am
Such a scandal! How horrible! Now we have multiple thread with the terrible news; the "good people" of Able2know are being downthumbed. The horrors! Of course the "good people" of Able2know, the people who are now so scandalized, are among the most prolific downthumbers themselves.

Try disagreeing with EhBeth about anything or suggesting that organic food isn't worth the money or that we should allow free speech on campus; I have made posts that have made it into the low negative teens! It is an honor, It means that I am standing up against the group think.

And negative scores follow me from thread to thread, when I upset Izzy, I get downthumbed in innocuous posts about sports or breakfast foods for weeks. The goal is clear, they think that by expressing personal disapproval they can shut down any ideas that they disagree with.

Just to be clear... I am not involved with the downthumbing. But I love it! To see the Setanta clique whining on multiple threads that someone clicked a button against them makes me chuckle. Turnabout is fair play.

Here's to the mad downthumber! You scored... and I thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 3,147 • Replies: 15

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 10:12 am
The hypocritical whining is indeed quite amusing.

I'm not the downthumber either. Although I am somewhat selective about who I vote back up.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 04:25 pm
@maxdancona,
The psychology of thumbs is interesting.

These thumbs are important because they symbolize approval. Approval is the primary currency for this group, and the means of maintaining a narrow set of views. Thumbs aren't the only way they express solidarity and acceptance, but they are a public one as they provide a numeric value that represents popularity.

Thumbs are used to reward compliance and penalize dissent. The highest positive thumbs are given to Setanta's sputtering attacks calling people "morons" or Izzy's assertion that someone who disagrees with him is a Nazi rapist. Thoughtful or factual posts are often voted down because they don't express the correct opinions.

The main group on Able2Know (Setanta, Chai, Glitterbag, Izzy et al) has a remarkably uniform set of beliefs. I am curious how much the social pressure caused by a desire for approval stifles new thoughts or divergent opinions. Those of us who don't care about winning approval enough to conform to the proper set of opinions of the main group present a real problem to them.

In my opinion, the independent thought and diverse opinions that upset them so much are the very things that make Able2know a unique place.

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 04:29 pm
@maxdancona,
The main problem is, posts with five or more downvotes get automatically hidden as if they were a post from someone who is on ignore, unless someone specifically changes their settings to prevent this from happening.

The downvotes are therefore a form of censorship.
Tryagain

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:24 am
Hi Maxdancona, although we haven’t been formally introduced, I must say that I like the cut of your jib.

I too have been the recipient of horrendous jibes by some of those you mention and still have reoccurring flashbacks of the time Setanta called me a Clown!
I mean it wasn’t like I was at the circus or anything like that, it was a Trump lookalike party. I know he may have saved my life back in Nam, but what has he done for me lately? Diddly squat, that’s what…

And don’t start me off about Izzy – he gave selected A2K’s free copies of his books and I had to pay for mine! Man, parting with money really hurts, I shudda waited until they made it into a movie. Iffin’ y’all want a laugh, there is a clip of him on stage over on U-Tube.

However, getting back to your assertion – let me assure you that having green snot is actually a sign your immune system is working well and you're getting better. The green colour actually comes from immune cells that have died in battle against an infection.

Our immune system (like A2K) is made up of lots of different parts.

One part is a special cell called a 'neutrophil'. Neutrophils are a type of cell called a 'phagocyte'. Phagocyte means a cell that eats things. These neutrophils work very quickly, but they don't live for very long. Once they die we need to get rid of them, and they end up in our snot.

This process uses a special chemical called myeloperoxidase (MPO). MPO contains a green colour. And because the dead neutrophils end up in our snot, the MPO in the neutrophils makes our snot look green.

However, any link to The Green Eye of the Yellow God, a 1911 poem by J. Milton Hayes is extremely spirituous.

Note: To assist in the collection of Data, Shared Insights, and to Make Data-Driven Decisions, please vote down if you consider The Donald a GOD – Thank you
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:12 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
unless someone specifically changes their settings to prevent this from happening.

That is what I did, you miss the best posts when they are blocked by intolerant fools by voting them down.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:19 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The main group on Able2Know (Setanta, Chai, Glitterbag, Izzy et al) has a remarkably uniform set of beliefs.

That's preposterous.

If Izzy et Al just because he's agnostic then what hope is there for atheists.

Eschew, bless you.

Largely Ode To Bluey

Aren't you a bitch?
Are we a pair?
Me here just looking to post,
You in mid-flair,
Where are the clowns?

Isn't it bliss?
Are you on drugs?
Keeping you tearing around,
Or unable to move,
Where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns?

I just stopped opening your door,
Even while knowing the one that I wanted was yours
Making my entrance again with my usual dross
Making up crap
Who gives a toss

Don't you love arse? And tits out here
I thought that you'd want what I want, sorry my dear
But where are the clowns? Send in the clowns
Don't bother they're here.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 09:40 am
@laughoutlood,
That's funny Laughoutlood. I get that you are an Izzy fan... and that you don't like being part of the "et al." Next time, I will be sure to include you by name.

0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:05 am
@laughoutlood,
Quote:
That's preposterous.

And true.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2018 01:51 pm
@laughoutlood,
Oh LOL, it has been said that your witty dulcet mellifluous consonance should be recorded for posterity to marvel at in fawning wonderment and your parody of lyrics transcendent; however to avoid befuddlement, what stopped you opening the door? Was it because eye a door yew!

Or woz it because U R an Izzy fan… even though there is an irrebuttable presumption that he dun ‘eat Al’ – OMG poor Al – what a waste of a good Chianti!

Butt I’ma not surprised as he is a prolific Guardian newspaper reader. For those amongst you who are blissfully unaware of the dark arts and satanic origins of this banner – It started life as the Manchester Guardian in 1821 in the wake of the Peterloo Massacre.

It has to be said that I do enjoy the occasional G&T as long as it’s stirred – not shaken. However for A&T I will not stir until it’s shaken – capisce!

However that still doesn’t address the Pythagorean Numerology in the movie Casablanca, as to what Champagne does Captain Renault order for Major Strasser?
Real Music

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2018 08:49 pm
Family Guy - Peter's Prostate Exam
Laughing Laughing Laughing

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2018 08:53 pm
Fonzie Thumbs Up Montage

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2018 12:28 am
Adult Thumbsucker // 60 Second Docs (Video)

0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2018 03:52 am
@Tryagain,
Try as you might, your flair, panaché and élan is but seven clicks after the prime before two score and who dozen love le tour de france.

Oh gee and teehee, always a pleasure to be stirred if not somewhat shaken.

Who's is he doing a fava?

Tryagain

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2018 11:05 am
@laughoutlood,
Deer friends and A Touquet members too, I suspect Russian Actors have been manipulating the results of this thread to such an extent that it is almost as popular as ‘Is this some form of mold?’ by ade333; one half of 666!

In an effort to clarify the situation I note that Vladimir Mashkov and Sergey Bezrukov have not specifically denied the allegation! However my efforts have been met with an electronic communiqué; “Libtard – rearrange the following and take cognizance – ‘Shut The Up ****’.

Well the best I could come up with was, ‘Uh, Fetch Up Tusk’
Which sounds pretty Russian to me!

And letters not forget: From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

Extract taken from: The St. Crispin's Day speech is a speech from William Shakespeare's play, Henry V, in Act IV Scene iii 18–67. The play was written around 1600; although I can find no video of it over on uTube!

LOL you say paradise is 7 klicks away – OMG that is like 4.34 miles! I have to pause for a refreshing mint julep between the sauna and pool, so I ain’t russian to the Tour de France… unless U R participating and attired in lucre.
In the meantime, can I offer you a cheeky promisQous Red Blend from California… or bring your sister for a naughty Ménage à Trios - a Sparkling Wine from Prosecco, Italy.

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black…
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 11:39 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/79/5b/f7/795bf7d414840090010e48facfda2783.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Much Ado about Downthumbs!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:17:27