Need Answer ASAP- interpreting poems

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:19 pm
I need help analysing/interpreting this poem. I cannot get past the first stanza. Any help, direction would be great.

SBI

Books Are

Books do not breathe, or
share your soup, stroke your
arms, inhale your rare perfumes.
Books do not spit, love or scheme
for more. Books do not live
parallel lives. Books do not
pray or hold mirrors unto God.
Books do not die with regrets.
-> given human qualities. Images of a lover (does it make sense?)

What books do is talk
endlessly. Not to you or
the sycamores or the china
cups, but to no avail at all.
Talk, more talk. Books have
something to say and are bound
to say it. Books equal
their words exactly.

Since my last letter I have
been a book or several books
together. I do not listen
or spit. I talk to thin air.

Books are and emphasize.
Nothing, they chant and storm
will ever stay the same. The
wind on everything, pages
turned, pages torn.
-> Things will be interpreted in different ways; you can chant different tunes, storms are unpredictable
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 983 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:07 am
Books have neither the benefits or drawbacks of being alive and conscious. They are able neither to love and share sensuality and intimacies with you, they have no spirituality nor soul - nor do they have greed, nor venom nor regrets...

Books are nothing but endlessly repeating words - they have no transcendence of their words (I think the author is trying to say that they offer, despite our projections of comfort and companionship and shared communication onto them, and the love we give them, nothing but a parroting of what has been printed into them.)

I have become like this - I am in communion with nobody - I am fleshless and unhuman - neither loving and sensual and spiritual, nor base and physical - disconnected - empty.

Like the books, and the books, like me, are "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" (I think the echoes of Shakespeare's Macbeth are no accident here - "Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player That struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing." - but I may well be wrong! I also, perhaps wrongly also, see echoes of Lear's "blasted heath" and howling winds).

The pages of the book, and my life, are turned, and torn, randomly by life.

It seems to me that the poet is in a period of numbness and depression - where love and life and books (I suspect previously much beloved) have become meaningless.

I am unsure if this is in the context of a relationship which has failed - or in the context of a relationship with the one to whom the poet is writing that is the only meaningful one to them.....

Anyhoo - that is what I have gleaned thus far - for what it is worth - hopefully others will come along!

Now - what do YOU think????
0 Replies