Viruses - Attached Files

gollum

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:02 pm
I received an email from an unknown party. It has a .zip file attached to it. I have Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet Security updated on my computer.

Would I be risking getting the virus if I opened the attachment?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 483 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:45 pm
I would advise you to save the unopened attachmet to a folder of its own, then to scan it with your antivirus before openin' it. Might even be a good idea to wait untill after the next pattern file update of your antivirus. That, of course, all presupposes you might, for some wierd, unexplained reason feel there might be some reason to do anything other than immediately delete any uninvited, unanticipated, unexplained attachment from an unknown sender. Be advised also that a common virus-monger's ploy is to place the evil sucker within a zipped file, which will foil some virus scanners. As soon as the file is extracted, however, the damage may be done before any protective steps can be taken.

Short version; I'd say dump it. Now. Then empty your recycle bin.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 07:10 am
gollum- My credo is, whether from sales people or E Mail is that if I didn't ask for it, I don't want it. Don't let your curiosity get the best of you. Blow it away!
0 Replies